installing HID's in a 98. DO I put them in the inner or outer bulb?

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dumb question, but I got the HID headlights from R&J and I was curious do replace the inner bulb or outer bulb?

I looked at the headlight and it looks like one bulb has a round glass piece over it when looking at the front of the headlight, just curious what the purpose of that is?

Also last question, does this mean that now I'm going to have HID low beams but just normal halogen high beams?

OP
OP
D

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so the HID bulb goes into the middle light then from what I can see in the pic

so with hid low beams and halogen high beams are the highbeams useless now?

Also what is the purpouse of that round glass piece that goes over the bulb on the one light?

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can upgrade to HID high beams, just keep in mind when you flip them on it is going to take a few seconds for the bulb to head up and get bright. That means it'll be a little dark in front of you for a bit.

:usa:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have HID low beam units, the high beams are still OEM for the moment, they do work, but just give you that yellow light :( I will upgrade the high beams at some point, but to be honest I do not do that much night time driving in the car where you would require them. ;) You would also have to squeeze in an extra Ballast box within the headlamp area ;)

Mark
:uk:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dumb question, but I got the HID headlights from R&J and I was curious do replace the inner bulb or outer bulb?

Are you uncapable of turning your lights on and seeing which one lights up:dunno:
I looked at the headlight and it looks like one bulb has a round glass piece over it when looking at the front of the headlight, just curious what the purpose of that is?

Its called a Projector (polyellipsoidal) lamp.
Check out this article for more info:
Headlamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(about halfway down)
Also last question, does this mean that now I'm going to have HID low beams but just normal halogen high beams?

Yes but keep in mind what RobZilla said. HID's take a little while to heat up to optimal brightness. This can make flashing useless. However, if you drive in an area where you consistantly need highbeams on then it could be a benefit. However with HID's in my lows & fogs i personaly have never even thought about the need for highs. I run 5or6K for lows and 3K for the fogs. The combination of the slight blue lows and yellow fogs gives the car a cool leMans racing look and performs very well.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can mount your ballast many different ways, I found it easier to remove some of the bracing on the headlight cover to make room for the ballast and wires.

Don't worry about cutting out to much of the bracing, it's hard plastic so there is still plenty of support left in the cover. If you need to remove the cover later on, there should be plenty of slack in your wiring to remove without any issues.

You must be registered for see images attach

I wouldn't suggest getting the high beam HID's. I have 5000k low beams and they are bright enough, plus if you are switching from high's to low you will burn up your ballast faster. I also have Gen 3 fog lights with 5000k HID. :)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed HID low beams and they were so much brighter that high beams were useless and didn't help at all. Then I installed HID High beams as well and (as stated) the first time I turn on the high beams the light does take 15-20 seconds to brighten.

I do a lot of night driving and will always upgrade my headlights after installing HIDs in my Viper. Stock Pickups and eveything else are coming with HID and they are also easy to notice the better lighting and the wait between switching on the lights and them actually working.

Ted

OP
OP
D

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so on new OEM vehicles, do they have HID low and high beams and just deal with the delay issue?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960