Installing plug wires this weekend...is it difficult????

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wondering from those that have done this job on a Viper...
Do you remove the plastic piece below the windshield???...
Any tips would be helpful..
Cheers,

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy job; you do need to remove the plastic skirt to have easy access. Just take one off at a time & replace one by one to make sure you stay in order. Pull the plugs & check them too while you're at it. For that matter, they're cheap....just replace them.

Viper Wizard can send you wires with discount.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What brand of wires?
Remove the windshield cowl to assist in installing the wires.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of a pain to get to all of the connections on the coil packs. I have a lift and found it easier to access the passenger side pack from underneath.

Do each one at a time so you know they are in the correct place.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not difficult at all if you remove the windshield crowl (of course you'll have to remove the windshield wipers arms first and make sure to mark them). A small light will help you see the coil pack terminals but you should be able to feel the terminals if you do one plug wire at a time. The key is "one wire at a time".

I went with Magnacore 8.5mm over Mopar OEM wires.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To remove the Wiper arms, is there some sort of small clip that holds them on, or are they just a press fit, requiring some sort of spreading tool to get them off (opposite action to standard pliers...I believe i have seen this type of tool at local parts places, they are cheap, but should have plastic covers on the "jaws", which are U shaped)

Tomer

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "cover" where they connect to the spindle flips up to expose the nut. The cover rotates on z plane, folding back over in the direction of the blade. The hinge is visible & I can swing mine using fingers.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That cover over the wiper blade nut can take a little force sometimes. Put some electrical tape over a screwdriver to protect it and use the screwdriver to pry it upward, if you can't do it with your fingers. When the cover is swung out of the way you'll see the nut. Remove the nut and the wiper pulls off. Might take a little wiggling though.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You better plan for the whole entire weekend for that job. heh! :laugh:

It's easy! I did my 1994 way back then and it now takes me less than 20 minutes to do them all.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be prepared for a few scratches on your hands. I think I looked like I had been in a fight with a cat the first time I changed them.

OP
OP
S

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well guys..I did it!
It took me about 1.5 hours...kinda taking my time, but it still wasnt the easiest thing I have ever done...Kinda tough reaching down to the coil packs to make sure the wires where on tight,
I dont see how anyone could do it without taking the cowl off. I also removed the heater box, as recommended here and that helped as well.
Thanks again for the help guys.
Cheers,