Installing SVS Shifter. Did anyone have problems?

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi,

I am attempting to install the SVS shifter from the top today and I have it in but in testing it, it seems that I can't do reverse because it hits the ashtray box. It hits the ashtray box when I shift to 5th/6th but it goes go in gear. There is no room for reverse.

Has anyone had this issue or is there an adjustment I can make? I believe this car had a tranny repair under warranty in February 2004. What the actual service was, I don't know. Could the tranny be shifted over a little?

Any help is much appreciated.
Santo

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have heard of SVS shifter fitment problems. I dont know the particulars, but, as I recall things worked out. Eventually. I will see if I can dig up specifics.

Kurt

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you saying the shifter shaft actually hits the plastic surround by the ashtray?

I installed mine from the bottom last week. 1st-6th work OK, but it is very stiff getting it into reverse (takes two hands), but I figured it was due to the stronger springs as it doesn't seem to be hitting anything. I haven't had a chance to actually try to drive the car yet and see if it loosens up.

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you saying the shifter shaft actually hits the plastic surround by the ashtray?

Right now, the car is still apart. The actual ashtray slides into a recessed metal box that's part of the metal console structure. It is this recessed metal ashtray box that it is hitting on the underside of the console. The two big allen screws that connect the arm are hitting it.

Hope that clarifies.
Santo

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have the shifter arm on the driver side, right?

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have the shifter arm on the driver side, right?

Yes, it's pretty much a fool-proof install :) I will ask Ron about it afterwards but since my car is apart, I thought I would quickly ask the club first since many bought shifters just recently in the group buy. It's a solid piece of hardware. I'm sure it's a minor adjustment or my car (or me).

Santo

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen this problem before. All the gears work except reverse.

It's been a while.....trying to think back, we had to grind on the shifter housing bolts. They were hitting.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Right now, the car is still apart. The actual ashtray slides into a recessed metal box that's part of the metal console structure. It is this recessed metal ashtray box that it is hitting on the underside of the console. The two big allen screws that connect the arm are hitting it.

Hope that clarifies.
Santo

My shifter doesn't hit the metal box but it does take a little effort putting it into reverse. Shifting from 5th to 6th seems fine but I don't recall the shifter hitting anything. I'll have to double-check today. Don't know if it's possible but could it be that your transmission is off to right a bit? Did you lower your transmission to install the shifter? Maybe when you raised your transmission it might have slipped to the right just enough for the shifter to hit the ashtray box.

- Tony

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Tony.

I did it from the top so I didn't move the transmission but I suspect that if the transmission was serviced, it may have been moved slightly? Today I went to look for slimmer headed bolts for the top portion where the arm sticks out to see if that would be enough extra room but I couldn't find any. Does anyone know if the transmission CAN be moved left or right slightly?

I'll have to wait for spring but maybe a slight adjustment to the left is all that's needed? There really isn't a whole lot of room in there. I have to take off the bottom plate that covers the transmission from below anyway as I dropped a wrench and a socket in there :)

Santo

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know that guys will move the motor by loosening the mounts and lifting it a little to keep headers from hitting the frame. So I would think that would move the trans the same amount.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am no expert, but the transmission is bolted to the engine. I do not see how the trans. could be "off".

I put my SVS in over Christmas, but I have not driven yet.

Have you called SVS yet? I am sure he would help you thru the problem.

Andy

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am no expert, but the transmission is bolted to the engine. I do not see how the trans. could be "off".

I put my SVS in over Christmas, but I have not driven yet.

Andy

If the engine mounts were adjusted to accomodate let's say exhaust headers, collectors, etc. then it will be "off".

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have put engine mounts in other cars, not vipers, & I do not remember any play or adjustment without using shims or washers. Again, I am no Viper Tech.

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score

While I had it apart, I was looking for some quick help but I guess I'll gave to contact Ron and let him know at what point I'm at and if he can offer advise. I'm sure all will be fine. Since he put one in from underneath (as is shown in his instructions) I'm sure he can tell me if there is any play.

Thanks for everyone's help and advise.
Santo