Installing Window Regulator Motor on GTS and have a few ?'s

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
As many of you know, I've been w/o my GTS for approximately 13mos while having a ton of work done to it at UGR.

Prior to dropping the Viper off, the window motor quit working and the clip was broke yadda yadda yadda, so I removed the old one in hopes of having the new one before shipping the car off. I don't really want to remove the door panel on the passenger side to see how it's mounted if someone can easily help me here.

13mos later and forgetting how the reg/motor goes in on the driver door, it appears the motor must be mounted in place and the other side flipped, therefore crossing the track to install the bottom mounting bolt.

I can't find any illustrations of this and don't have a manual handy, so I'm trying here to see if anyone can offer some advice before putting it back in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, before anyone asks, the new motor is labeled LH so it is the correct unit.

Thanks,
Mike

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Here is what the Service Manual states:

1 - Remove door trim panel.
2 - Remove inner belt strip.
3 - Remove door glass
4 - Disconnect wire connector from pw motor.
5 - Remove screws attaching regulator to inner door panel.
6 - Remove nut attaching window regulator to bottom od door.
7 - Remove nuts attaching pw motor to inner door panel.
8 - Remove window regulator and motor from door.

Installation is in reverse order with the exception to verify operation before installing door panel.

The illustration is not helpful and there does not seem to be any "trick" to installation.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you use for that black sealer around the liner? It looks like windshield sealer.

OP
OP
1MEANSNAKE

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the response guys, I'm going to attempt this today. I'll let you know how I make out and also post back as to which way It should be twisted or any tips/tricks I find. The screwdriver holding the window up just isn't cutting it lol

OP
OP
1MEANSNAKE

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing cool about the ole screwdriver in the window setup :(

Screwdriver removed and got the window/regulator motor installed. It was fairly simple, I just twisted the opposite side of the motor where the lines crossed towards the front of the door panel and snapped window in place on the plastic clip, slid metal pin through and bolted everything in place. Pretty simple, but would be easy for anyone just replacing theirs since they would have their old one in place :omg:

The only problem I have now is getting the plastic cover to sit in place over the handle on the door panel :dunno:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only problem I have now is getting the plastic cover to sit in place over the handle on the door panel :dunno:
??? Mine is held in place by three screws, one in the centre (just under the silver handle) and two on the front side! Do you not have any holes moulded in your plastic cover?

OP
OP
1MEANSNAKE

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the '97 that pesky snap in version? That likes to break? Or is that Gen 1?

It is the wedge in version where 4 V shaped clips wedge itself tight around the complete handle casing. It's going to take some playing with, but I got tired of playing with it after an hour or less and moved onto something else.

I saw there is an upgrade to the newer silver handles in the How To section I may have to look into. In the meantime, I'll try and battle this project a little longer.