Intake manifold gasket and burned pistons

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While checking out the tech section i came across the article that says that "pre 11/18/97 GTS' used an intake manifold gasket that turned out to be susceptible to moisture damage and subsequent air leaking into the manifold," thereby causing a lean condition and eventually a burned piston if driven for 500+ miles.

Has anyone here dealt with this?
At what mileage should one start to worry about this condition?
If it is common is there a factory recall on this?

Thanks

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
This is a M.Y. '97 problem. There was a problem with intake manifold gasket vendor switching materials. Unfortunately, it was for virtually ALL the 1997 model year -- process cleared up mid-November. Problem:; the "bad" gaskets -- you can see a "194 F" in red letters between the runners (look hard with a flashlight) -- absorb water, then when they dry they shrink
and literally pull the material from between the intake and the cylinderhead.

The 1996's, and SOME of the Service gaskets, are marked with "194
E" in grey/light blue printing. Dodge issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)on it. The new gasket, part number "194 AB" is virtually identical to the old 194 E's -- same " good" material with a minor design tweak for improved installation at the engine plant.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
REST easy..... IF you have the problem, you'ld know it. The idle at first is erratic, gets worse when warm, and the can get very high///ie even 4000 RPM !

Only in worst-case scenario, of 500+ miles of a bad leak, would you lean out enuf to burn a piston.....maybe a valve......

The way I remember the bad gasket is that it is an F word. 194F.

Translation works for me.............

OP
OP
V

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I have a 1996 GTS so i guess i'm in the clear. When i read the article i assumed that the problem affected all pre 11/97 GTS's. Being new, it is very comforting to know that this board and its members offer a high caliber of knowledge.

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images