Intake Tubes Improve Sound?

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced my original corrugated factory intake tubes (aka Laundromat Dryer Hose) with smooth tubes from JonB. Already had a K&N stuffed in there.

I drove the car a lot today and the car SEEMED to sound a bit raspier. Am I delusional? Do the intake tubes amplify the exhaust note at all?

In my mental dyno, I picked up a bit of throttle response with the better exhaust note. Help me. Did I add some noise or not?

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes you did add some noise. i think i remember reading somewhere that the currogations were designed to quiet things down a bit. someone correct me if i am wrong.

after i put my K&N filters and smooth tubes on, i immediately heard all kinds of new cool sounds from under the hood. i used to love the amplified hissing/whistling noise i always heard at certain RPM's.

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The smooth tubes seem to make a sucking sound unlike the stockers.

OP
OP
A

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to know I wasn't completely losing it. ("COMPLETELY" is the operative word here.)

Running up through the gears, I'm old enough to have been raised on the 'blip' between gears. In my first few cars, this was a great 'sychronizer' for ancient English transmissions. Plus, it sounded cool.

Yesterday, I was doing the blip with the Viper and it was way more satisfying than before the tubes. My 15 year old son even asked, "Did you do something to this car?" referring to the exhaust.

By the way, to further this 'sound' experiement, has anyone ONLY replaced the rear muffler to any notable advantage?

I realize that's a different thread topic, and I've read MANY posts about full and partial exhaust swaps, yet none involving ONLY the rear.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tubes & filters may add about 7HP.:cool:
Isn't that the only difference on the ACR's and they rate them +10hp. Seems about right. :2tu:

I heard more sucking noise when I went with S&B and Smooth Tubes but didn't notice any difference in the exhaust sound.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC