Integrated Cable for RB-1 and IPOD Connection??

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was curious as to what integrated cable you RB-1 owners are using to connect the Nav unit to your IPOD? Plan to connect my IPOD (in glove box) to Nav unit since my second 6-Disc CD changer has crapped out. I've searched the forum but no one specifies which cable they are using, so I thought Dodge would have the part. They don't. I know there are numerous RB-1 owners who've connected their IPOD, so would appreciate some advice.

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have bought both an RB1 and the MOPAR iPod kit, although I have not installed them yet, but the cables came with the iPod kit. I bought the kit from Dan Lesser at Viper Specialty Performance, give him a call and I am sure he can answer any question you have about the parts or the install.

Chris
'06 Black/silver coupe
formerly: '02 Red GTS

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have bought both an RB1 and the MOPAR iPod kit, although I have not installed them yet, but the cables came with the iPod kit. I bought the kit from Dan Lesser at Viper Specialty Performance, give him a call and I am sure he can answer any question you have about the parts or the install.

Chris
'06 Black/silver coupe
formerly: '02 Red GTS

I also bought mine from Dan and it came with everything I needed...works great. Installed it myself middle of June and have had no issues so far! I have even bought a dedicated 16gb Nano to match the car...it stays in the glovebox until I need to sync it. Perfect setup!

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have facotry sirrus, you will need the extention cable also to make everything work right. The factory harness is missing one wire. Thats only if you have all three things, just radio and ipod, you dont need it.

Reaction score
Just so you ALL know there is NOT an approved iPod kit for the Viper and all of it's electronics. The BCM and other sensitive items can be affected by it's use and will not be covered by the warranty.

FWIW

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just so you ALL know there is NOT an approved iPod kit for the Viper and all of it's electronics. The BCM and other sensitive items can be affected by it's use and will not be covered by the warranty.

FWIW
Interesting.
The Viper truck guys have had zero issues with the Chrysler iPod kit.
Well, the RB4+UConnect guys aren't happy with the $450 adapter cable, but....that doesn't really count.

I'm trying to figure out how any other component (on the far side of the fuse) would be affected by anything in the stereo loop.

Reaction score
Interesting.
The Viper truck guys have had zero issues with the Chrysler iPod kit.
Well, the RB4+UConnect guys aren't happy with the $450 adapter cable, but....that doesn't really count.

I'm trying to figure out how any other component (on the far side of the fuse) would be affected by anything in the stereo loop.

The trucks are not the same as the cars. The problem may be with the electrical interference with the modules. I thought I heard that the RF part may work better but it is also NOT approved for the Viper.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, no issues so far, other than a loose fuse (my fault).

How can this affect the BCM? I can see it affecting the head unit, but that's about it.

Reaction score
I just know that it can, I'm not an electrical engineer by any means just stating that it has in the past and that is part of the reason why it was not approved for the Viper. So if you are having good luck then great, just be aware if things act up this could be the cause. I have seen them both ways.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the both the Mopar iPod adapter module and and all the electrical components in the car (or truck) being shielded, I'm having a tough time with any type of "interference".

Also, with the radio components being on a separate circuit (20A) from other components, you'd more than likely have a fuse go before anything else could happen.

If a stereo component is cooking something outside it's circuit, it's probably due to a modification made by the owner/builder or a defective piece of equipment (stereo, adapter, etc).

AFTER A LITTLE RESEARCH....

Part # 82209616AD - For vehicles with the older PCI Bus (J1850). For use on models equipped with 2nd generation RBP, RBQ, RAH, RBK and RB1* radios (RB1 radios must be p/n 82209616AC or newer).
Vehicle list includes 2004-2005 Viper models.

Source: Mopar/Chrysler.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

FWIW

Hi Mark,

Talked to Chrysler about this... the "TSB" only applies to the 2008 cars with their goofy CAN-to-J1850 gateway module. [and regardless of even that, we have had a high success rate even on 08's] With regard to the 03-06 cars, chryslers response was "well, there isnt a Viper kit, but we have had no complaints so we wont comment on them"

To boil it down, we have NEVER, EVER had an issue with a 2003-2006 car, nor even heard of any issues out there from anyone.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! What can I expect to notice if a problem does develop?

Dont worry about it. You have an 03-06 car which automatically puts you off the "potential" list. However, in every case involving an '08, the problems appeared immediately, and were isolated to "gauges going wacky". In all cases, no permanent damage was sustained, it is simply a bus communication error.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont worry about it. You have an 03-06 car which automatically puts you off the "potential" list. However, in every case involving an '08, the problems appeared immediately, and were isolated to "gauges going wacky". In all cases, no permanent damage was sustained, it is simply a bus communication error.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm very happy with mine since I put it in this past June (and thanks for the help on that). I haven't had any problems, I just got spooked a little when I heard there could be issues. The loose fuse I had caused the head unit to cut off every now and then, but since securing that, no more issues.

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't tell you that, I can say just watch the gauges.

The guage problem will occur if you have sirrus, radio, and ipod hooked up without the 10 foot extension cable because a wire is missing out of the cable. If you just have ipod and radio, or sirrus and radio, there is not issues. I have done 5 cars now, all are great. these are 03 to 06s

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The guage problem will occur if you have sirrus, radio, and ipod hooked up without the 10 foot extension cable because a wire is missing out of the cable. If you just have ipod and radio, or sirrus and radio, there is not issues. I have done 5 cars now, all are great. these are 03 to 06s

Ah, yes, forgot about that little loophole. Yep, potential issues with that oddball cable they used on the '06 cars. (03-04 dont have it, have never looked in the '05's to see if its there)

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ah, yes, forgot about that little loophole. Yep, potential issues with that oddball cable they used on the '06 cars. (03-04 dont have it, have never looked in the '05's to see if its there)

Oh... Is the extension cable not needed for '08s ? (is it only the '06 that has the oddball cable?)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Oh... Is the extension cable not needed for '08s ? (is it only the '06 that has the oddball cable?)

Yes, the cable would be needed if you intended to try and get Sirius to work. On the 08's however, the more items you add, the more of a risk you run of not having it work properly.

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan...anything new to report on the ipod issue for my 08? Do you think that TSB will help? To just to let others know, I am one of the few 08's that have had no luck installing the ipod interface. As Dan mentioned you will know immediately. The dash board lites up like a Xmas tree.

Dan...my Viper will be up at Chuck's place in a month or two for some mods. I will be in touch and also for the tire sensors.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have:
RB1 + iPod + SatRadio + UConnect
.....or....
RB4 + iPod + SatRadio + UConnect
?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have:
RB1 + iPod + SatRadio + UConnect
.....or....
RB4 + iPod + SatRadio + UConnect
?

I know that somebody has the RB1+ all the goodies on here... dont remember who though.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan...anything new to report on the ipod issue for my 08? Do you think that TSB will help? To just to let others know, I am one of the few 08's that have had no luck installing the ipod interface. As Dan mentioned you will know immediately. The dash board lites up like a Xmas tree.

Dan...my Viper will be up at Chuck's place in a month or two for some mods. I will be in touch and also for the tire sensors.

Nope, nothing new to report on the issue unfortunately, I have still not seen one in person with the issue. It honestly may just come down to a refund on the affected cars, their may not be a solution, and chrysler doesnt want to help.

Thats not to say however that I dont have something else on the back burner that you all may want... time will tell though.