Votes: 5 33.3%
  • May join but will NOT pay for an all inclusive event

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking about throwing something together for this fall that all of us can do from all over Texas. One last big event before the Vipers get detailed and stored for our 2 months of winter!

We have had the South Texas Round Up in Austin, and we continue to do that every year.

The new 'Texas Regional Rendezvous' would be something that gets passed from one region to the other every year and done in fall. Since this is my idea I will host the first event if there is some interest in it.

I plan on it to be a 2 to 4 day event. Possible multiple hotels depending on the distance of each event. Would have a chase vehicle to transfer bags and such, no need to carry your belongings on the routes/events.

Learning from the past and the huge SNAFU we ran into with the booking at the OMNI in Austin last week, this will be an all inclusive event. Your admission price will cover all your meals, all your lodging, if I can swing a shirt and poster great but no promises yet.

Basically this will guarantee a locked in attendance and all you will have to do is send in payment via PayPal (soon to be started) or check by the cut off date. Just bring yourself, your car and gas money, everything else will be taken care of for you. It should have a little something for everyone to enjoy from show and shine events to spirited driving. We will have an attendance list and you will have a wristband and window sticker, we will do roll call before we leave and when we arrive at each new event.

This will be one hell of an undertaking for one man to put on so please vote if you are interested or not. I don't want to spend the next couple of months putting all the details in motion if no one attends.

Based on the OMNI rates for two nights and other hotels in the area with meals etc I am ESTIMATING that the entry for a 3 night 4 day event would run $400-$500, just ball parking here. This is of course unless we get some sponsorship backing from VCA, other regions chip in, vendors, etc...

If this would be of interest to you please vote.

FYI- We will not be staying at the OMNI again for this event; it will be its own event and passed on to the next region year after year. This should show everyone the great roads across Texas, not just in your own region, strengthen ties between regions and just have statewide fun!

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I voted to attend but not pay for an all inclusive event. Reason why: we may not be able to attend all the events since we are coming from out of town. I'm not sure what happened at the Round Up this year, but the 2010 Round Up setup worked well IMO, everyone paid for whatever they attended including the number of nights they stayed in the hotel. I know that makes things more difficult, but it is more fair IMO and leaves some options open to the attendees.

Thanks for possibly putting this on Kurt, I think the fall is an excellent time for a second state wide meet!

OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I voted to attend but not pay for an all inclusive event. Reason why: we may not be able to attend all the events since we are coming from out of town. I'm not sure what happened at the Round Up this year, but the 2010 Round Up setup worked well IMO, everyone paid for whatever they attended including the number of nights they stayed in the hotel. I know that makes things more difficult, but it is more fair IMO and leaves some options open to the attendees.

Thanks for possibly putting this on Kurt, I think the fall is an excellent time for a second state wide meet!

Eric, sorry we missed you guys this year at the Round Up but I bet the Final 4 was a blast as well!

The all inclusive is my way of verifying who is coming, that is all. We have tried the RSVP thing, the $20 fee and teh hotel room block in the past. The RSVP is a BIG fail because people wait until the last minute if at all to RSVP. The $20 fee was a fail this year as most just paid when they arrived, again we had no idea who or how many were coming. The room block for the hotel, well that has been a fail every year as well. The actual cut off date for the blocks is only about 10% taken by the cut off date every year. Because the hotels work with us they extend the block out date but every year there are still people who have stayed at other hotels (rewards points etc) or the hotel fails to put them in the block.

I am looking for a sure fire way to make the reservations and plans for each event based on attendance. Only way to be organized.

MAny areas I am looking at going book up months in advance, and meals have always been a nightmare with a full menu, some tables are done eating before others even get served. If we all have buffet type meals at scheduled stops it eliminates that.

Still a rough draft working away in my noodle at the moment but thought I would throw it out there and see what kind of reaction it gets.:dunno:

OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just need more details to figure out if I could make it but
a green light here for sure!

No details right now just rough outline of ideas:

Friday night-
Show and shine

Meet and greet dinner with Vendor Showcase and auction intros

Sat??-

Big drive day and move to remote hotel location

Buffet dinner and social event

Sun-

Event TBD

Dinner TBD

Mon-

Drive back to Big City and farewell brunch - raffle winners announced

Event over around Noon on Monday.

diko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue with the inclusive lodging is, "what happens when your region is hosting?" you'r forced to pay for lodging even if you live near by? also, I have family/friends in Houston and DFW that I would love to host my stay rather than me paying for a hotel. just my .02 cents -

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I voted. Sounds like it could be fun. Keep up the effort as it's appreciated Kurt.:2tu:

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurt, one more suggestion for you, since this would be the first year to do this, make it less formal and see how it goes versus investing a bunch of your time into it for a possible small turnout. If it is a success, you will get more people next year and you can make it a full blown event. I personally like the less formal events, and they are easier to organize with smaller groups. We can take care of our lodging and food ourselves, you just worry about the fun stuff so the whole process is easier on you! If I can help ya in any way, please let me know.

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kurt-I like where you're headed with this. While I see the reservations previously mentioned, I really think this needs to be pushed your way and made into an event more along the lines of national rallies like The Goldrush, etc.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurt-I like where you're headed with this. While I see the reservations previously mentioned, I really think this needs to be pushed your way and made into an event more along the lines of national rallies like The Goldrush, etc.

The goldrush by the way, I am in discussions with them, is possibly going to be in Austin next year :) They will be flying out after the one in LA is wrapped up.

No reason we can't try something new...we always have the 2012 Viper Round Up next...and maybe this fall event will shed some light on some additional activities for it? Either way, I am in :)

OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurt, one more suggestion for you, since this would be the first year to do this, make it less formal and see how it goes versus investing a bunch of your time into it for a possible small turnout. If it is a success, you will get more people next year and you can make it a full blown event. I personally like the less formal events, and they are easier to organize with smaller groups. We can take care of our lodging and food ourselves, you just worry about the fun stuff so the whole process is easier on you! If I can help ya in any way, please let me know.

Eric,
I fully agree with this if it were all people who I knew closely. I don't want it too formal but if we can get some vendors in to contribute I do want to make sure they get some stage time to promote thier services and products. If it was just a small group of local drivers I would say pack a back pack and follow me. And this is going to be geared towards that but to open it up to all VCA members who do not appreciate the seat of the pants type of function I do want to have certain locations spotted and some formality to it. I appreciate the offer and I will take you up on that as soon as I get my ducks in a row on the basic outline. Not sure how many would be up for a 4 day event.:dunno:

OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Appreciate the comments. Not heard of the Goldrush event, do you have some info I can read over?

I would rather learn from others mistakes and achievements, no need to recreate the wheel here.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
another quick recomendation... If we can get dancing bunnies playing yellow kazoos, I am 100% sure that would drive additional attendance in at least the single digits. Just sayin

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's the Goldrush Site:

goldRush Rally - Latest News

It's an all-inclusive bottle of fun and something I almost did on their inaugural run. Feel free to give me a shout if you want any help or want to run some ideas past another blundering idiot.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great meeting you at the round up! I'm with Eric and Shooter, it all sounds good to me as long as the weekend is clear for me. If it's in San Antonio we can all just crash at Tuckers place anyways right?

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in for an all inclusive, love the idea. Gonna be a tough sell in the Viper community IMO. Round-Up style seems to be the prefered format. I'm in either way.

My suggestion:
Party bus so we can hammer down and have a good time/night on the town. I like to take advantage when we have a baby sitter. I know I'm not the only one who wants to let their hair down after a good day of driving.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
another quick recomendation... If we can get dancing bunnies playing yellow kazoos, I am 100% sure that would drive additional attendance in at least the single digits. Just sayin

Is that an Austin thing/requirement??? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Didn't some VCA reagion do something at a Bunny Ranch or somewhere.....Probably a completely different objective....But none the less "Bunnies" always seem to be a source of controversey.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that an Austin thing/requirement??? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Didn't some VCA reagion do something at a Bunny Ranch or somewhere.....Probably a completely different objective....But none the less "Bunnies" always seem to be a source of controversey.

I cannot comment any further on the bunny statement in a public forum ;)

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in for an all inclusive, love the idea. Gonna be a tough sell in the Viper community IMO. Round-Up style seems to be the prefered format. I'm in either way.

My suggestion:
Party bus so we can hammer down and have a good time/night on the town. I like to take advantage when we have a baby sitter. I know I'm not the only one who wants to let their hair down after a good day of driving.

Yes, for your San Antonio folks who have mullets, this will be a great oppurtunity for you to let your hair down. :2tu: