Ipod for the factory Alpine radio??

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got a unit for the 09 and my ipod can be controlled by the stereo knobs and the sound is great. This unit plugged in the rear cd changer slot on the head unit of the factory radio (for the connections). I looked for a similar unit for the 2000 and I can't find one at the local best buy. The ones I do find go through the antenna and come with fancy plates with jacks attached. I don't want that to look at and going through the antenna sounds like ****. All I want is a discreet cable to hook up the ipod. Any suggestions??

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think you're gonna find one for a 2000 gts/rt. The only way i know of is to use the FM signal modulator. And those don't sound the greatest. I had the same problem with mine. I use my iPod all the time, so i just swapped out my factory Alpine for a Kenwood Excelon unit and couldn't be happier.
Good Luck

gtex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
should be able to tap into the amp input somehow. I've been thinking on it, but have not tore into the connections yet to see what we got. shoudl be able to come up with some line level input switch, but we'd have to run a wire to the back to plug in an iPod/MP3 player up fron and the head unit would not control it.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would need a switch to toggle from the radio to the iPod. Can probably be done.... but worth it? Just get a CD / MP3 player and install that. If you want it to look stock... well, just throw the stock one back in when you sell the car.

OP
OP
V

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I am not really worried about the head unit controlling the ipod so much, mainly it is the sound quality I am after. If I have to manipulate the Ipod while at high speeds I guess it will have to do. I have not been paying attention to aftermarket radio units in the last decade, what is out there that you guys think is good and is also plug and play with the dash (i.e. No cutting or splicing). Thanks in advance.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well as far as i could tell when i did mine is that there is no plug and play for our gen of vipers. The newer ones have one i believe. And every other car in the world. This is due to the external amp i believe and the factory head until uses an 8 pin plug to run to the amp. All your speaker wires are in that plug. I know some guys have spliced into the plug to tap into the speaker wires. Doing this will alow you to still use your factory amp. For myself when i installed my new deck, i ran all new wires and left the factory plug alone so i could put it back to factory if i ever wanted to.
There is a couple write ups about how to do this if you use the Search.
As for deck, I am using a Kenwood Excelon with multi line display. Great for iPod use. Alpine is also a great head unit.
Good luck

OP
OP
V

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rebelsold - so you used this aftermarket piece? It looks like it will do the trick. What setting did you put the radio in to listen to the iPod.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang