IPOD ICruze is a piece of [******]!

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you that might be interested in picking up an rb1 navigation unit please do yourself a favor and get the cd changer. Whatever you do do not get the IPOD Icruze. I do not get music about 1/4th of the time that I go out. the latest incident ist hat it just displays track one disc one and does nothing else! If your playing music on the ipod and as soon as you plug it in it gives me one second of music and then completely turns off (the music) and does not play again. I am so sick of this unit i feel like taking it out and smashing it over someones head!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out Matt Turner. I flew him in from Atlanta to San Francisco to work on an Infiniti M45. He specializes in custom ipod installs for all cars, and will be showcased at MacWorld in January. I'm going to let him cut up my gts. :eek:

In the M45, he made a custom moulding for the ipod dock, and added not only the audio, but also the video from the ipod so you can see the color slideshows. He did a sweet job on the Infiniti:

http://tunertricks.com/blog/index.php?p=68

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In lieu of the CD changer, you can add a satellite radio. I'm using an XM-Direct unit, and it works perfectly with either the RB1 or the stock radio.

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out Matt Turner. I flew him in from Atlanta to San Francisco to work on an Infiniti M45. He specializes in custom ipod installs for all cars, and will be showcased at MacWorld in January. I'm going to let him cut up my gts. :eek:

In the M45, he made a custom moulding for the ipod dock, and added not only the audio, but also the video from the ipod so you can see the color slideshows. He did a sweet job on the Infiniti:

Wow that looks great :2tu:

Hey Ricker PM Dimitrios. He's got a really sweet IPod interface in his car. :2tu:

If your talking about ViperD I'm pretty sure he doesn't have an ipod install done on his car :confused:

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In lieu of the CD changer, you can add a satellite radio. I'm using an XM-Direct unit, and it works perfectly with either the RB1 or the stock radio.

I'm thinking about installing xm radio in my car as well I'm so sick of using an Ipod in it!

VTen555

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you can live with not seeing the track info (i'm usually on the nav screen anyway)this one works great. Sometimes you need to advance the track to start it but you can always use the controls on the ipod. It doesn't disable the buttons.

http://www.neocaraudio.com/prod-ion.html

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
SRTRICKY- Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but I have installed quite a few of them, and do not have any that currently have issues. There is an interface glitch with older software on the iPods as well, but I do not know what you are using. The iPod Photos are also notorious for causing issues until the interface sets up over time.

Also, depending on how your system is wired, if it isnt getting constant power through the +12V yellow wire, it is trying to interface the iPod every time you start the car- no wonder you would have problems if that was the case.

If your system is indeed wired correctly for power, I recomend turning your radio off before you shut off your car, and turing it on AFTER starting your car- make it a habbit. The start sequence cuts power to the iCruse forcing it to reboot the interface, which has caused a failed interface in one of my customers car's who uses an iPod Photo many times...just reset it and its fine again however- but better to make the habbit.

Realistically, is is NOT the iCruze that causes your problems. The iPod's have very slow, overly-complicated operating systems with an abundance of weirdisms, such as overlapping songs, etc. They are finicky no matter what type of interface is used. How you use it will directly influence how it responds.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I buy that mount for the M45? I would want the same thing in mine.... too bad the iPod won't output it's menu system via the video out...... that with a wireless remote control would be great.....

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I buy that mount for the M45? I would want the same thing in mine.... too bad the iPod won't output it's menu system via the video out...... that with a wireless remote control would be great.....

Yeah... I've been working with a couple MIT geniuses on displaying the menu out. Not an easy thing to do. There are wireless remotes you can get for ipods right now.

Just email Matt and tell him you're interested. He has all of the schematics and measurements to crank another one out for you if you're comfortable doing your own install. If not, you'll need to find a good installer that would install someone else's kit... hard to find. That's why I had to fly him out to San Francisco. Most installers don't kow what they're doing. Good news is he took pics of all of the steps to the install, so he can send detailed instructions with it. Believe it or not, he customized 3 m45's just a few months after they were out. The Aston Martin he did looked cool too. It' hard to impress me, but he sure did. And he's young and hungry too. I can appreciate that, so I plug him as much as I can. :2tu:

There's also a dvd/nav bypass he can do for you too as part of the package so you can drive and watch your **** too... if your local law permits it (insert DC's wink wink nudge nudge). ;) :D

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRTRICKY- Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but I have installed quite a few of them, and do not have any that currently have issues. There is an interface glitch with older software on the iPods as well, but I do not know what you are using. The iPod Photos are also notorious for causing issues until the interface sets up over time.

Also, depending on how your system is wired, if it isnt getting constant power through the +12V yellow wire, it is trying to interface the iPod every time you start the car- no wonder you would have problems if that was the case.

If your system is indeed wired correctly for power, I recomend turning your radio off before you shut off your car, and turing it on AFTER starting your car- make it a habbit. The start sequence cuts power to the iCruse forcing it to reboot the interface, which has caused a failed interface in one of my customers car's who uses an iPod Photo many times...just reset it and its fine again however- but better to make the habbit.

Realistically, is is NOT the iCruze that causes your problems. The iPod's have very slow, overly-complicated operating systems with an abundance of weirdisms, such as overlapping songs, etc. They are finicky no matter what type of interface is used. How you use it will directly influence how it responds.

Dan thanks for the info! I have the latest 20 gig Ipod. I told the people that installed it (and they didn't do a cheap job) how to wire it and I hop ethey wired it correctly...How do I check if I have constant power to it?? I'm going to try to turn it off before I turn the car off and back on when I turn it on see how that works! Thanks
Ricky

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you have constant power, the iPod will always say "iCruze" on the screen when plugged in, even whe the car and radio are turned off.

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you that might be interested in picking up an rb1 navigation unit please do yourself a favor and get the cd changer. Whatever you do do not get the IPOD Icruze.

Well, in all fairness, Monster says right on their website that the radio "Must be CD changer capable without Factory Navigation or "RBQ" Radio." - direct quote. I know of no OEM iPod integration adapters which are advertised to work with RB1, RB3, or RB4.

The iPod's have very slow, overly-complicated operating systems with an abundance of weirdisms, such as overlapping songs,

The root cause of iPod interface problems is that they are limited to using the iPod's remote link, which is a very slow (few kb/s) serial link. So it gets bottlenecked very easily when trying to shuffle text and commands back and forth. Frequently stuff just gets dropped.

The J1850 link to the radio is even slower...

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have constant power, the iPod will always say "iCruze" on the screen when plugged in, even whe the car and radio are turned off.

crap mine doesn't :( those faggots charged me all that cash and still didn't do the job properly freaken ********!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine