iPod in 94 rt/10

Angela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys-
I bought a "Griffin" iTrip FM connector to play the iPod in our 94 rt/10. I put it in the cigarette lighter outlet, and nothing appears on the iTrip screen to show the FM channel. Also, nothing plays from the iPod.:omg: Have any suggestions on how to get an iPod to work. The stereo is original and has a cassette player.

Thanks for your help!:)
Angela

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
buy the $20 cassette adapter and you will be much happier. the transponders sound like crap. the cassette adapter will give you better than cd sound. my cd changer is on a transponder and i just dont use it as i have that alternator whine.

OP
OP
A

Angela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJay,
Thanks for your help! I will go and buy a cassette adapter this weekend.

Angela

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like your adapter is broken. I use a similar model with my Ipod and it sounds as good as a CD.

You get what you pay for on these. Buy a good one and they sound great. :2tu:

OP
OP
A

Angela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red Snake,
The adapter I bought was about $80.00-if that means anything. It works just fine in the minivan, but not in the Viper. We tested the cigarette lighter, too and that worked fine. Thanks for your advice.

Angela

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red Snake,
The adapter I bought was about $80.00-if that means anything. It works just fine in the minivan, but not in the Viper. We tested the cigarette lighter, too and that worked fine. Thanks for your advice.

Angela
Does your adapter let you fine tune to any station? I'd try every station until I found a good clear one.

Based on the price you probably got a good unit.

OP
OP
A

Angela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it does let me go to any station. The problem is: nothing appears on the adapter screen (it's blank) when I plug it in. hmm?

Angela

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
here is the issue with transponders (the itrip and whatnot) and cassette adapters. transponders push a radio signal over the analog airwaves. basically, your own little radio station. you tune the transponder and radio to the same frequency and bingo! you have your connection. a cassette adapter is a cassette (like the ones with music on them) that have a hard wire coming off of them that you plug directly into the ipod.

transponder pros and cons:

pro: no wires hanging off your dash going to the ipod.
con: because its an analog frequency, any interference will garble the signal. that could be the actual radio station on that channel but more frequently its the alternator (which generates an electrical field) that gives interference.
con: the best quality you can get is that of an analog radio signal. as we all know, your cd's sound much better than a radio station.

cassette pros and cons:

pro: sound is as good as you can get. you are hardwired into your deck. there can be no interference and cut out.
pro: cheap. its about $20 in any store.

con: you will have a wire hanging out of your cassette input on your deck running down to the ipod.

hope this helps.

OP
OP
A

Angela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for all the info. I still have yet to buy a cassette adapter, but will let you guys know when I do-and what happens. Thanks!

Angela

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for all the info. I still have yet to buy a cassette adapter, but will let you guys know when I do-and what happens. Thanks!

Angela

Adam - Angela,
You might give this a look; I find it quite satisfactory considering the music is digitally sampled (MP3, WMA), and has reduced sound quality from the sampling. Find a clean, unused FM frequency, and you should not have interference since you are transmitting only a few feet to your radio antenna. I happen to use 87.9 FM. I have been all over the Seattle area, including in the city with all the high rise buildings where ANY radio reception is at best not good, and still have a clear signal. I don't use an Ipod, but rather load SD cards directly from my computer with MP3 and WMA files.
Just a thought.

http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/613610-i-found-new-toy-really-works.html

Later,

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam - Angela,
You might give this a look; I find it quite satisfactory considering the music is digitally sampled (MP3, WMA), and has reduced sound quality from the sampling. Find a clean, unused FM frequency, and you should not have interference since you are transmitting only a few feet to your radio antenna. I happen to use 87.9 FM. I have been all over the Seattle area, including in the city with all the high rise buildings where ANY radio reception is at best not good, and still have a clear signal. I don't use an Ipod, but rather load SD cards directly from my computer with MP3 and WMA files.
Just a thought.

http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/613610-i-found-new-toy-really-works.html

Later,

I was just gonna say.. I remember you posting that awhile ago but couldn't remember where to find it lol

Good lookin' out :2tu:

OP
OP
A

Angela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the cassette adapter finally! :D It was $9.00 at Walmart. Works great. So much better sound quality than the fm adapter. Thanks ViperJay!! :2tu:

Angela