Is $27.5 K for a 97' GTS a good deal?

Blue Marlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at at 97' GTS with 26,000 miles on it. 4 previous owners, clean car-fax. Car looks good (is on a dealer lot) with the exception on a mis-matched drivers side tire(rear). The dealer did not have an explanation for this, he assumes the previous owner maybe damaged the old one. If all checks out with a viper tech. inspection, do you guys think this is a fair deal? The other viper I'm looking at is a one owner GTS with 14.5 K miles but he is asking $34900. I'm not sure if the one owner is worth 7K more than the 4 owner car. What do you think?

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at at 97' GTS with 26,000 miles on it. 4 previous owners, clean car-fax. Car looks good (is on a dealer lot) with the exception on a mis-matched drivers side tire(rear). The dealer did not have an explanation for this, he assumes the previous owner maybe damaged the old one. If all checks out with a viper tech. inspection, do you guys think this is a fair deal? The other viper I'm looking at is a one owner GTS with 14.5 K miles but he is asking $34900. I'm not sure if the one owner is worth 7K more than the 4 owner car. What do you think?

Could be an indication that the last owner didn't take good care of it, or couldn't afford (at least) a new pair of rears. It's something to consider, but maybe not a deal breaker. I say, don't but the cheapest one you find, find the nicest one you can afford. The one owner car may be more money up front, but you'll probably find that it's been much more well taken care of.
That's my $0.02.

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
If it was well taken care of by all 4 owners, then yes, it's a good deal.

Have it inspected by a competent Viper tech before purchasing.

A not-quite-right Viper will end up costing you a pile more in the long run.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume the mismatched tire has the same kind of wheel... However, that may be evidence that the car struck a curb on that side. It happens far too often with the amount of torque these things put down to the rear tires.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
27K is a Great deal even if in just decent condition.
I would expect it to have some bodywork. Def have a viper tech look her over.

Forget about the current tires on nearly any viper. If they are more than a few years old you should be replacing em anyway:2tu:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say, decide what your plan is for the car. If you plan to put very few miles on and just keep it locked away for an investment, then get the lower mile car. If you plan to drive the **** out of it and not worry about resale, then get the cheaper one and have fun with it.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Forget about the current tires on nearly any viper. If they are more than a few years old you should be replacing em anyway:2tu:

yes, and

I would say, decide what your plan is for the car. If you plan to put very few miles on and just keep it locked away for an investment, then get the lower mile car. If you plan to drive the **** out of it and not worry about resale, then get the cheaper one and have fun with it.

yes

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can swing the one owner car that's the way I would go.It's probually been very well taken care off and maintianed. If money is tight the other car seems like a good deal if all checks out. Good luck either way.

OP
OP
B

Blue Marlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I do plan on taking it to the track and driving it, so was leaning towards the cheaper one. Although the idea of 4 unknown owners with a questionalble history worries me. Resale is also a concern being that I usually only keep my cars 1-2 years. I fiqure I won't loose as much on the cheaper one, but then again I don't want to be fixing things all of the time and spending money there.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Multi owner cars doesn't mean its been taken care of any less than a 1 owner car.

Nor do miles mean anything. Personally I don't want an ultra low mile car. A 97 car is 13 years old... Driving it 2k miles IMO is not enough driving to keep fluids clean, fresh and moving. And those 13 year old tires are dangerous.

Don't judge a car by miles,# of owners or age. Judge it by the shape of the car, maint records, the wayt its been driven etc...

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first Viper was a one owner car that I bought over the net with pictures and a desciption. I knew it wasn't perfect but I will never do it again.

If the car checks out and you like it even if it's had 10 owners buy it.

I own a car dealership and one owner vehicle doesn't mean much to me. The vehicle determines the value not how many owners.

JMO

V

Venomiss

If you are buying it to keep pay the money and get someone who knows what to look for on it. Worth it in the long run.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go with "you get what you pay for". $27.5k seems a bit low for any decent 97 GTS. The fact it had four owners isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does indicate a greater possibility of not such a good car. A good, thorough inspection by a Viper Tech is necessary, HOWEVER, 4 owners could indicate some "hidden" issues that are not easily found in a one-time inspection.

My opinion: If you can afford the one owner car, I would take that...agree with others, cheap up front could mean lots of $$$$ later on!

Good luck with whichever you get.:2tu:

Happy New Year

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$27K for a GTS???? Damn, that sounds too good to be true...especially at a dealership.

I guess most people don't have $30k+ cash to spend on a 12 year old car and most financial institutions won't finance on a car that old? If the car checks out, pull the trigger and enjoy it.

What year is the one owner GTS you are looking at?

Triple7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree with that statement completely. When it comes to vipers if it is too good to be true it is a WRECKED or PAINTED car! Is it the Red GTS in Orlando FL? THat car has FRAME DAMAGE! BEWARE

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mentioned that you might want to track the car? If so you might want to check out the prices of Mods, exhaust systems, air intakes, brake upgrades, harness systems, roll bar, Front splitter, rear wing, rear diffuser? This all costs big bucks! 27K Sounds too good to be true but you may want to look at a car with mods already fitted. Might save you cash in the long run.
Good Luck.
Mark

2000FAST RED Cream-puff 92 ALMS Replica

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you know someone in your area that is a viper owner to go with you to look the car over, that would help as most viper owners know what to look for.

OP
OP
B

Blue Marlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with that statement completely. When it comes to vipers if it is too good to be true it is a WRECKED or PAINTED car! Is it the Red GTS in Orlando FL? THat car has FRAME DAMAGE! BEWARE

Yes it is the car. Thanks Triple7, I will cross it off the list.

tmr4479

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just buy it! I have almost 3 times that in mine. Get it and have a good time. You dont need a viper tech, just get on here and buy the dodge manuals. At first I over payed everyone to work on mine, till I realized its just a normal car, a simple one at that. Iv got 15000 miles of a ROE pushing 10lbs of boost and about 25 gallons of watermeth. These cars dont brake they are tough and easy to fix. So stop thinking about it and buy it!

V

Venomiss

Just buy it! I have almost 3 times that in mine. Get it and have a good time. You dont need a viper tech, just get on here and buy the dodge manuals. At first I over payed everyone to work on mine, till I realized its just a normal car, a simple one at that. Iv got 15000 miles of a ROE pushing 10lbs of boost and about 25 gallons of watermeth. These cars dont brake they are tough and easy to fix. So stop thinking about it and buy it!

Um.... maybe you didn't catch the previous post about frame damage?
Don't think that's what he's looking for.:)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Frame damage where? Some of the frame is damn near cosmetic in function and subsequently easily fixed without consequence of absolute precision.

tmr4479

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what i do is rebuild salvage cars. Its mild steel it can be bent heated formed you can do anything you want to with it.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it has frame damage, then it is a matter of finding out what type/location of the damage and whether it has/can be fixed. If you are looking for a Viper to just enjoy and not be worried about resale, then you should look into it. That is very cheap for a GTS and as long as its not a total wreck, you should at least check it out before crossing it off the list.

However, if you are looking for a "deal" on a really nice GTS, this is probably not the car.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with all those who have stated you get what you pay for. Offer the dealer 45k for the car and you will get a much nicer GTS.