is it normal to lose a pint or two of coolant a year?

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...from the overflow bottle. The engine is stock. I see no signs of a leak and the oil tests always come back with a clean bill of health? Is it just due to evaporation?
Thanks
Bruce

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just check that the bolt under the overflow has been shortened, it can be pushed up by speed curbs and puncture the overflow bottle the coolant loss is little but often so I guess when it happened to mine it was about 2 pints per year

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Check you coolant tank in the front fascia, as many of these have been punctured and can drip slightly. The Gen IIs don't normally use much, and though yours doesn't sound excessive , I would check everything out.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Aside from a true leak in the overflow bottle, you can see intermittant loss from the bottle itself with a bad "radiator" cap on the pressure tank in the engine bay.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the level in the facia tank for it being too full. Common for them to draw air in the lines during cool down. After multiple cycles, eventually will get air in system and push fluid out facia tank when heating up.

If your facia tank seems to fill up over time and eventually push fluid out, clamp your hose to metal connections on the hose from facia tank to surrogate tank.

ByteMe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The other problem I've heard of is the connection from the facia tank to the main tank. In a lot of cases there's no clamp on this connection.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cap popping off the coolant reserve tank has been a source of this problem, but like Bill said, yours doesn't sound excessive.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other problem I've heard of is the connection from the facia tank to the main tank. In a lot of cases there's no clamp on this connection.
ByteMe, This is what I meant. There are 3 transitions from rubber to metal and none are clamped. Upon cooling, coolant is drawn back into the main tank. If the connections have a air leak, it will draw air.

BLWNV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thought. If you did not get the air out of your system, it can appear to lose coolant.
Alan