Is it possible to hide/fix swirl marks on a black SRT-10?

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It seems that when you look at many of the black SRT's there tends to be noticeable swirl marks and/or marks that may have come from simply drying the cars. Have seen this on both new and used cars alike to many differing degrees of severity. I assume what I am seeing is essentially very fine scratches to the clear coat. Are there products or processes to correct or lessen this cosmetic issue?

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try using a product like Zaino Fusion. If you have a PC you are really in luck as they work excellent, I would use a white polishing pad with the speed set @ 4.5 to 5.5. Then follow up with a coat of Z2 Pro (by hand) topped with a spritz of Z8 and your black paint should look perfect.

I have also had good luck with Menzerna (IP and FPII) and Poorboys (1 and 2.5) swirl removers. If you don't have a PC buffer Fusion works well by hand also but it will be more work.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porter-Cable orbital buffer. And Frank, since you are so attentive to detail, I will let you practice on my black '05 Denali - buffed almost to the metal by a non-touchless car wash in Wyoming... :(

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the swirl marks are minor, I would use Eagle One Nanowax, which uses nano-sized particles to fill in fine swirl marks. Application by hand with micro towel is fine. Should you have a bad case of the swirls, get a PC as noted above (Lowe's has them for about $100.), pick up a bottle of 3M Swirl Remover for Dark Colors and have at it. Takes all of about 30-45 minutes if you get after it. Follow that with an application of Eagle One Nanowax, and then it will be good/better than new. Also, only use micro towels for drying. Forget the terry cloth.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ASC uses 3M finesse-it purple to produce the original finish. If there is a better material likely ASC would use it.

Finesse it makes it look great for a few days, but when it wears off, the swirls are still there. You need to use a light compound to actually remove the swirls.

Reaction score
Re: Is it possible to hide/fix swirl marks on a black SRT-10?

I saw wet-sand paper, 2000 grit, being used to remove surface imperfections followed by, 3M finesse-it purple, to produce a perfect finish. The 3M P/N is 51056; UPC # 051111-511572. a link for a source follows. As you can tell by the case order qty (case = 4 one gal. containers)this is for commercial use.
http://midwesttoolsupply.com/3M/index.cfm?Category_ID=60

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

topoftheline.com sells detailing supplies. They carry the PC orbital, pads and various grades of rubbing compound. If you have swirl marks only than doing any wet sanding is excessive. Wet sanding is only appropriate to remove scratches, chips, and the like. Talk to the folks at topoftheline and they'll give you good advice. Good luck, and don't worry - swirl marks (even severe one's) can be dealt with.

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would not use an orbital on black paint. Its just really hard to end up with a good result. I would hand glaze the care with A LOT of microfiber towels, changing them often. I've had great luck with 3M chemical hand glaze.

smashman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I used the new Zaino PC Fusion on a Black 2004 Mercedes this past weekend. This car was a MASS of awful swirls. Looked like someone had buffed the whole car with steel wool. I used both a yellow and orange pad with my Porter Cable set on about 5, then upped it to 6 to work lightly until most of the ZPC was gone. I was amazed. It took out ALL of the swirls with ZERO Hazing. Really great stuff and smells like Jolly Rancher Green Apple Candy.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't "patch" it up. Buff it out. Buffing is extremely easy. I just buffed my 98 out and it looks like a new paint job again. 3M makes a nice rubbing compound to use with a buffer then use 3M finish restorer, again with a buffer... Then finish up with Ziano and your good to go.. :headbang:

Here's something I just disocoverd. I just bought a 2005 black srt and the paint is near perfect. I put some detailer on the car with an old cotton towel. I created about a dozen swirl marks. ONCE your town has been used.. A) Throw it out or B) Wash it (don't use powder detergent..use liquid...

Micro fiber towels are so inexpensive you can buy a new set a month.. They work great. Rip the tag off before using.
G

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I pasted this here for you Dwhitt. A good friend of mine who use to come around here posted this quite awhile back.
Thanks Snake Bitten!
My poser polishing skillz documented:

1. Claybar your entire car, you can get claybars at any Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc...the brand doesn't matter. USE PLENTY OF LUBRICANT! A large spray bottle with some Dawn dishwashing soap works great...Wait until you see the contaminants the claybar pulls off...and "renew" the claybar often, just stretch it, reshape it like Silly Putty...

2. Swirls...These are scratches in your clear coat...The easiest way to get rid of them is with a random orbital...I trust only one...The Porter Cable...It's about $125...and spring for the "velcro foam pad adapter kit"...Very important, you're gonna need it. Throw the pads that come with it in the trash, especially the wool pad.

3. To remove fine scratches and swirls, you'll need 6" YELLOW FOAM PADS... from www.topoftheline.com ...get about three of them. Also, you'll need a bottle of 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound. Put about a quarter sized amount of the 3M on the yellow pad, and at about 4000 rpms, work a 2 ft x 2ft area of your finish...(Tape up any crevices, like the black screens in the hood, this dust gets everywhere)...Keep the buffer moving, but go slow, and press hard enough to compress the YELLOW pad to half it's thickness...and when you think you are going slow enough, go slower...Heat (buffing pad) and abrasive (3M compound) are the only things that will remove swirls/scratches.

4. Once you have peeled all of the swirls/scratches out of your clearcoat, you'll need the 6" BLACK FOAM PADS from www.topoftheline.com ...Also, a bottle of 3M 3M Perfect-It™ III Finishing Glaze...for either DARK cars or for LIGHT cars...they make both...Now do the same as you did with the compound, only at 6000 rpms, again, pressing just hard enough to compress the pad to half it's thickness, which won't be as hard as the yellow pad was. This takes the finest of flaws out, and smooths your clearcoat to near perfection.

5. That should have taken you most of a weekend...if you stayed at it...You cannot [******] this up with the Porter Cable...trust me...you could stand on that buffer with the beforementioned foam pads and not hurt your clearcoat...You have three coats of clear from the factory...15 years worth, if you did this every freakin winter...

6. Now, all you need is to apply many coats of whatever polish/wax you prefer, and when I say many, I mean at least 20...You can use the Porter Cable and WHITE FOAM PADS from www.topoftheline.com ...These are finishing pads and softer than baby's ass (I have this on good authority from Father McOnlee, down at St. Catherines Middle School)Once you get a routine down, applying and removing one coat takes maybe 20 minutes...So instead of planting your ass in front of the bigscreen after dinner, apply a coat of polish to the Viper...Think of it as cardio...

7. I've used Meguires, Mothers, Zaino, etc...Really doesn't matter...Here's the super secret sensitive secret: Apply a coat of Pinnacle Spray Wax in between each coat of polish...and before you take your baby out, and after you put it up... you can get the Pinnacle Spray from...you guessed it... www.topoftheline.com ...I recommend these people because their service is phenomenal...period.

8. NEVAR! Use anything but foam pads, or MicroFiber towels on your finish...The Viper's clearcoat is very soft, and scratches easy...

9. Dusting...California Duster...Buy a new one every summer, use the old one on your wheels to remove the bulk of the brake dust. Next summer, same deal, buy a new one, old one goes to the wheels, the old old one goes either to the wifeys car or the trash...

10. Now, you've got several coats of polish/wax and Pinnacle applied...Your baby is looking pretty sweet...Take a brand new WHITE foam pad and at about 4000 rpms, go over the entire finish...yep...just a dry white finishing pad...Now do this after every Pinnacle application to really make your finish pop...

If you saw his paint, you would be amazed!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Griots garage offers some pretty effective polishes / waxes too.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I pasted this here for you Dwhitt. A good friend of mine who use to come around here posted this quite awhile back.
Thanks Snake Bitten!
My poser polishing skillz documented:

1. Claybar your entire car, you can get claybars at any Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc...the brand doesn't matter. USE PLENTY OF LUBRICANT! A large spray bottle with some Dawn dishwashing soap works great...Wait until you see the contaminants the claybar pulls off...and "renew" the claybar often, just stretch it, reshape it like Silly Putty...

2. Swirls...These are scratches in your clear coat...The easiest way to get rid of them is with a random orbital...I trust only one...The Porter Cable...It's about $125...and spring for the "velcro foam pad adapter kit"...Very important, you're gonna need it. Throw the pads that come with it in the trash, especially the wool pad.

3. To remove fine scratches and swirls, you'll need 6" YELLOW FOAM PADS... from www.topoftheline.com ...get about three of them. Also, you'll need a bottle of 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound. Put about a quarter sized amount of the 3M on the yellow pad, and at about 4000 rpms, work a 2 ft x 2ft area of your finish...(Tape up any crevices, like the black screens in the hood, this dust gets everywhere)...Keep the buffer moving, but go slow, and press hard enough to compress the YELLOW pad to half it's thickness...and when you think you are going slow enough, go slower...Heat (buffing pad) and abrasive (3M compound) are the only things that will remove swirls/scratches.

4. Once you have peeled all of the swirls/scratches out of your clearcoat, you'll need the 6" BLACK FOAM PADS from www.topoftheline.com ...Also, a bottle of 3M 3M Perfect-It™ III Finishing Glaze...for either DARK cars or for LIGHT cars...they make both...Now do the same as you did with the compound, only at 6000 rpms, again, pressing just hard enough to compress the pad to half it's thickness, which won't be as hard as the yellow pad was. This takes the finest of flaws out, and smooths your clearcoat to near perfection.

5. That should have taken you most of a weekend...if you stayed at it...You cannot [******] this up with the Porter Cable...trust me...you could stand on that buffer with the beforementioned foam pads and not hurt your clearcoat...You have three coats of clear from the factory...15 years worth, if you did this every freakin winter...

6. Now, all you need is to apply many coats of whatever polish/wax you prefer, and when I say many, I mean at least 20...You can use the Porter Cable and WHITE FOAM PADS from www.topoftheline.com ...These are finishing pads and softer than baby's ass (I have this on good authority from Father McOnlee, down at St. Catherines Middle School)Once you get a routine down, applying and removing one coat takes maybe 20 minutes...So instead of planting your ass in front of the bigscreen after dinner, apply a coat of polish to the Viper...Think of it as cardio...

7. I've used Meguires, Mothers, Zaino, etc...Really doesn't matter...Here's the super secret sensitive secret: Apply a coat of Pinnacle Spray Wax in between each coat of polish...and before you take your baby out, and after you put it up... you can get the Pinnacle Spray from...you guessed it... www.topoftheline.com ...I recommend these people because their service is phenomenal...period.

8. NEVAR! Use anything but foam pads, or MicroFiber towels on your finish...The Viper's clearcoat is very soft, and scratches easy...

9. Dusting...California Duster...Buy a new one every summer, use the old one on your wheels to remove the bulk of the brake dust. Next summer, same deal, buy a new one, old one goes to the wheels, the old old one goes either to the wifeys car or the trash...

10. Now, you've got several coats of polish/wax and Pinnacle applied...Your baby is looking pretty sweet...Take a brand new WHITE foam pad and at about 4000 rpms, go over the entire finish...yep...just a dry white finishing pad...Now do this after every Pinnacle application to really make your finish pop...

If you saw his paint, you would be amazed!

Or instead of spending weeks polishing, you could learn how to use a ROTARY buffer properly and spend 1-2 hours removing all the swirls and obtaining a perfect finish. No clay needed. Then you can apply your favorite polish/wax by hand or machine. There is a reason no body shops or 'real deal' professional detail shops use an orbital buffer. It is very time consuming and not as effective as a rotary. That being said, you can 'F' up your paint with a rotary. But it's not rocket science. A pro can teach you in no time.... That being said, I would get experience on a few ****** cars before taking on the Viper.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The claybar process is VERY important. It takes the foriegn debris out of your paint before adding polish was etc. I just did a guys brand new car tuesday night. He was shocked at what we found in the paint and how that claybar removed it.
Claybar, I still use it on my facia and mirrors for those hard to remove specs of **** that get imbedded in your paint when doing 100+ mph.

Also, you don't have to spend weeks. It all depends how nice of a finish you want.
The guys who are super anal will put a 100 hours + into polishing the paint, wet sanding etc.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

An orbital buffer doesn't carry any RPMS. I agree, a rotary buffer is the real deal and the correct way to go. Plus that orbital buffer makes my DAMN HAND ITCH for hours. LOL!! Wash the car, takes about 2 hours to buff it out and your paint will look like new..

G

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Way too much work.Take it to a body shop pro and have them do a high speed polish. GTS Bruce

Noredline

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yup, clay bar, and orbital polish, then wax. Had mine cleaned/swirls removed before the clear bra went on. Worked like a charm:) Yes, and have a pro do it.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The claybar process is VERY important. It takes the foriegn debris out of your paint before adding polish was etc. I just did a guys brand new car tuesday night. He was shocked at what we found in the paint and how that claybar removed it.
Claybar, I still use it on my facia and mirrors for those hard to remove specs of **** that get imbedded in your paint when doing 100+ mph.

Also, you don't have to spend weeks. It all depends how nice of a finish you want.
The guys who are super anal will put a 100 hours + into polishing the paint, wet sanding etc.

Clay is important IF you use a orbitial. Why? Because an orbital does not have the power or generate the heat to remove the imbedded crap. BUT, a rotary does. Nothing against clay, it does work. But it took me about 4 hours to just clay the entire car properly, and it gets tiring. Then I did all the other steps (swirl removal/polish), and the entire detail took me the better part of a weekend. Sure, it did look great.

Next detail I took it to a pro. After about 2 hours with a rotary, he had the car every bit as smooth (felt like glass) and it looked perfect. Not one swirl. That's when I decided to learn how to use a rotary.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4