Is now a bad time

Doug GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking about selling my 2000GTS. Is now a bad time? Will prices continue to decline or will they stabilize? What is a fair price for a "perfect" 2000 GTS, red no stripes, 3200 miles?

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much do you need to get? I'm looking at a 2000 with factory stripes and a few mods.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any time is a bad time to sell a viper!

I can't imagine resale values every going up from where they are now. (unless inflation catches up, which wouldn't be for a long time)

With regard to a "fair" price, I am no expert, but having spent a lot of time looking for vipers, I would guess between $49K to $54K.

Best of luck!

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mid 50's if its "like new"

I had am offer on my 96 with 10K miles for 47K just last month and I turned it down. That didn't include the 2.5k warranty I have with it too. That would be extra.

Don't sell yourself short...nice vipers are worth the money.

Just represent the car honestly and a buyer will come along.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone would expect Viper prices to go up, or even stay the same.
Vipers are not rare enough to be collector cars, they are simply cars. Their value will go down every year.

And there is more.

As the prices drop, there will come a tipping point, the cars will fall into the price range of, shall we say, a less exclusive group of owners. When this happens, we will see more and more Vipers that have been run hard and put away wet. Cars that are not wrecks but have been thrashed and abused will be more common and they will sell for even lower prices than we have seen in the past.
This will drag down the price of all Vipers.

A couple of years from now, when someone sees a ****** RT selling for $18k, the fact that it is a ****** isn't going to be as memorable to people as the price.
They will think of the $18k as a low end price for Vipers. That will make a high end price much harder to support.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:mad: Good Morning Joe, alittle cynical this morning huh! I happen to agree with some of what you said. Depreciation will always occur. However a Viper maintained meticulously will always fetch substantially more that the abused ones.

Adam

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe is right, of course. NO car, aside from the absolute rarest (think Porsche 959, et al) go up in value immediately after sale.

Vipers are rare, but far less rare than they once were. And if you look at it from Dodge's perspective, they'd *love* the Viper to become another Vette. They are a company, and companies want to make money. So the exclusivity of the Viper will happily be sacrificed for profit, if they see fit.

This isn't to say Vipers will never appreciate, they will, but it will take a lot longer than 10 years. Twice that, at least, and that's just to start climbing, not to regain original value. I doubt the 92-94 models have bottomed out, yet. In 5 years you'll be seeing Vipers going for $15K. They will be ragged out, but that won't stop people from buying at that price.

But the car is gorgeous, has a super-beefy engine, and is destined to be a collectible down the road.

Look at used C2 Vettes; 1963-1967 models. New they cost something like $7K, and now for a vert in even mediocre condition, you'll drop $30K.

Vipers will appreciate, it will just take time.

PatrickG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What will happen with the GTS prices when the new GTS (Gen 3) will hit the road?

The RT prices seem lower to me but I don't know if it is because the SRT is out..

GTSREDDOG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone hear that a gen 3 GTS "WILL" come out? I think my 02 will be sold if they do!!!! Come on DC Dont stop with the CC bring out a street legal version... :cool:

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone would expect Viper prices to go up, or even stay the same.
Vipers are not rare enough to be collector cars, they are simply cars. Their value will go down every year.

And there is more.

As the prices drop, there will come a tipping point, the cars will fall into the price range of, shall we say, a less exclusive group of owners. When this happens, we will see more and more Vipers that have been run hard and put away wet. Cars that are not wrecks but have been thrashed and abused will be more common and they will sell for even lower prices than we have seen in the past.
This will drag down the price of all Vipers.

A couple of years from now, when someone sees a ****** RT selling for $18k, the fact that it is a ****** isn't going to be as memorable to people as the price.
They will think of the $18k as a low end price for Vipers. That will make a high end price much harder to support.

Great points. I could not agree more. If you need the money you should sell ASAP, the car is not going to go up in value :confused: