Is SSG worth all the BS?

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And Ryan WHY are you selling yours (is it just that time) I also bet you already have a list of who's first in line! Lol! Personally I'd go with the SSG, either way I think the wheels & the stance will make the car & you've always had a knack for both! jmo

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a very rosy ending

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/655895-Out-of-a-Viper-for-a-little-while
DAMN, Ryan I had NO Idea! I've been out of town quite a bit (I'm actually out of town right now with Shane). Wow, I still can't believe it (glad you're OK though). What happened to the **** in the expedition, did he just keep going. That really is gonna ****, going to the VOI without your baby but like you said I think you'll be able to see & get some ideas on just what you want for your NEXT BABY! Good Luck!

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
attachment.php

I too was just okay with the SSG from pictures, but then when we saw them in person at VOI in Detroit I was hooked. After that VOI I went in a hurried search for a SSG car, as they were only supposed to be produced for the one year at that time. The SSG gets more attention than I ever got in the red GTS, even back in 1998 when you hardly ever saw a Viper of any color. All of the reactions I have had to the color have been positive. As everyone says, go with what you really want but don't worry about the SSG - most people love it! Not a very good picture compared to some of the others posted, but you can see how it stands out from the crowd.:tx:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is something magical about the deep metallic paint on Vipers. Something just comes together.

First time I heard about "that Frog Color" being available for Vipers I thought it was something terribly wrong, but the first time I saw one in the flesh, I knew SRT was onto something.

It is the same with the Copperhead. Really brings out the lines in the Viper, and just looks right.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love SSG, what I dislike however is now Ford, Mazda, Hyundai and Chevy offering a variance of metallic green. :/

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love SSG, what I dislike however is now Ford, Mazda, Hyundai and Chevy offering a variance of metallic green. :/

^^This. The SSG color started a mainstream trend in the more pedestrian cars. I saw it on a Mazda a few days ago, less metallic but still pretty close. I am honestly not sure if the car compliments the color or the color compliments the car because I just don't like it on the other makes I have seen in person.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^This. The SSG color started a mainstream trend in the more pedestrian cars. I saw it on a Mazda a few days ago, less metallic but still pretty close. I am honestly not sure if the car compliments the color or the color compliments the car because I just don't like it on the other makes I have seen in person.

Uhhhh... I would check your history... Ford put the metallic lime green on Mustangs starting in 2005...... it was a retro look to the Metallic Lime Gold that is on my 1969 Mach 1. I am pretty sure the similar Honda green was around before the SSG Viper.... I sometimes wish my Viper was SSG ...... but I do very much like my GTS blue 06 Vert.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly. It's a bummer, especially when seen on a Camaro.

But I do enjoy the literal basis for the color on a Viper: there's a reason it's best on our cars!

The Pit Viper:

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Gumprecht's_Green_Pit_Viper.jpg
    Gumprecht's_Green_Pit_Viper.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 7

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You sound like me when I was looking for a GEN IV. Unfortuantely life happens and it prevented me from purchasing but soon enough I will. My color choices were the same as you, SSG and VVO. The thing that got me is that after seeing them both in person they both have their pros and cons but the commonality with both of them is that the sun makes the colors look a lot better. The thing that made me like SSG a bit more over VVO is the fact that SSG is a metallic color and VVO is not which makes the VVO color look very dull when not in the light. Personally, you can not go wrong with either color, both of them will make you happy and both of them will be rare and different; it all just depends on what makes you happy!

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You sound like me when I was looking for a GEN IV. Unfortuantely life happens and it prevented me from purchasing but soon enough I will. My color choices were the same as you, SSG and VVO. The thing that got me is that after seeing them both in person they both have their pros and cons but the commonality with both of them is that the sun makes the colors look a lot better. The thing that made me like SSG a bit more over VVO is the fact that SSG is a metallic color and VVO is not which makes the VVO color look very dull when not in the light. Personally, you can not go wrong with either color, both of them will make you happy and both of them will be rare and different; it all just depends on what makes you happy!

I still have never seen either color in person, but I'd like too. Green is a tough color. From the photos, all that pearlescence is what makes it striking. Imagine that green as a normal metallic color, or flat. Probably not good. But with all those extra gold and what not, it does look very custom and cool. Someday I shall see one and have a better opinion.

DodgeViper01 - 10,652 posts! I am in Central NJ as well.

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is one of the better pics of a ssg Viper in the sun. And the color is even more amazing in person.

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My VVO is metallic in the right light but maybe I'm imagining it; not quite as much as SSG but still there.

Last edited:

ssgviper28

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I picked this car up this summer SSG viper and I wouldnt choose any other color than SSG!

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DP Viper and I have an informal poll going whenever we attend an event together with his SSG coupe, black stripes. (His idea, not mine). And since I am the one posting this, you can guess which car is in the lead.;)

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at ebay its surprising how many SSGs are avail. Love VVV! Wish I coulda bought the one that was in Vegas last year.

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking at ebay its surprising how many SSGs are avail. Love VVV! Wish I coulda bought the one that was in Vegas last year.

Was that one a coupe? I've posted a couple of times looking for VVV and heard from some coupe guys but don't seem to be able to track down the 10 other verts.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it was a coupe with silver stripes if I recall. I think it had around 19k miles? I think it sold for around 59-60. Needed tires, had some rash on the wheels and needed a stock shift handle and a good cleaning. Was a fair price for what it was.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21