IS THAT ALL THERE IS...

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason Heffner:
I guess in a way, yes it is just for the dyno. Look at the facts, Albert Chloubers car holds the record for the quickest and fastest Viper ever, if I'm not mistaken. He has only nitrous on his car and has enough problems with that. I'm not calling it cheating, unlimited means unlimited. The HMS TT car made over 1000 rwhp (with nitrous) on the dyno and has run a best et of 9.99. All the rest of the 9 second cars have only nitrous, make a lot less power on the dyno and always run quicker and faster. Why not make the car run fast on one or the other? If you don't run the number on blower or turbo, turn up the boost, that's what the nos guys do.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will give you my opinion why, and it not just for the dyno on many cars with s/c. 1. Nitrous is a great extra intercooler. 2. For whatever reason you only want a certain boost level or in my case on a f-body a larger blower is impracticable. Say you mostly drive it on the street and 12 lbs. is satisfactory with you....but at the track...of coarse you want more. The nitrous is the (as we all know) cheapest, easiest and works great with a s/c. Each car is different....meaning each make/model depending on pwr adder/s. Sometimes just "turning up the boost" is not that easy. I have never had a car on a dyno...graet for tuning but it means jack **** at the track.

George Bryce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ronviper, you know what would be cool is to see how quick you could go with a 6 speed...granny shifting one of your turbo Buicks
smile.gif
That would be fun to drive! Most 9 sec cars are autos...maybe 98% of 9 sec. cars are. Any car in the 9s with stock 6 speed is a BAAADDD!!!! doode! GB3

OP
OP
R

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George you are correct all my buicks had either to turbo 400 or 200R auto. The 400 was manual which i shifted at 7500rpm and that was a hand full, shifting when i saw the tack light many times it hit close to 8000rpm before a shifted. I never said driving a stick car was easy but many of my friends are running 9's and high 8's with stick Mustangs. My son has a supercharged 351 stang which runs 9.70 at 142mph and it's a stick.

OP
OP
R

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry George but the other problem with turbo cars and standard trans is each time you shift the boost will drop off. With an auto it's full boost right down the track, but as you said it would be a blast. The fun factor would be better but the ET and mph would suffer.

George Bryce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OH YEAH!!!!! Your Son's stang is fun to drive I bet! I sold a NMCA vette last year that I ran 7.9 with 10.5 tires. It ran 5.10 at 143 in the 1/8!!!!! It had full ex. Lots of NO2....but it had a glide. 10.20 in the Viper is more fun! GB3

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, you have some very valid points. The statements I made are merely my opinion. All I'm saying is that if a car has to use nitrous to run fast, then I guess that's not really a tuner street car, It's just a car with nitrous. I mean to take no credit away from the really fast nitrous cars, I know for a fact that tuning big nitrous without wasting engines is tough. It really depends on how much hassle the customer wants to go through. Nitrous is cool except when some kid in a Mustang or a Supra wears you out on the street because your bottle ran out, you didn't have the valve open or you didn't have the bottle in the car. It seems to me that when you have nitrous you always end up making more excuses than winning races. Once again, I'm not downing anyones car or thier combination, I'm merely stating my opinion and that is I like my cars to run the same on the street as they do on the track. Mark Coopers Heffner Supercharged Viper made 58 laps this week at VOI on the speedway, his straightaway speeds were averaging 15 to 20 mph faster than most other cars. How many laps do you think a 10 lb nos bottle would be good for?

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Gerald it took me so long to help out! I'm here at VOI 7 and i did participate in the drags and I am still standing. my ET was 10.7 at nearly 140 MPH. People are already forgetting the rookie here was still in the race. and guess what guys. My DLM "Supercharged Car" Will Smoke a Bike on the street as well. When I learn to drive my car will post some low 10's and still drive my car to the track!

The VOI Drags was a blast! Everyone seemed to be very nice. I hate to see those same nice people get on the board and talk smack! Alot of fast cars are here just hate to see the event rained out!

One more thing, Who cares about a buick!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason -- my car's a single blower + NOS. I had dropped some red herrings earlier about it being a turbo car, but that isn't the case
supergrin.gif

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dr Roof your car was an awesome fast sob and I know I personally told you that at the track. I don't think anyone is talking smack just stating what they witnessed at the track.Why do think anyone is talking smack? I think what you are seeing here is people find it hard to accept an opinion from someone who never races his car, and no knock on Gerald but I think he made it clear he doesn't.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought/sold an 85 Buick GN that was a weird one. Stock appearance, but 510 cubes of mildly mod'd '70 Caddy V-8, Turbo 400, but only 10 bolt rear/3.42 gear. Stock wheels/tires. 3 chamber Flowmasters, so it sounded decent, and not too loud. HORRIBLE launch (played only on the street) with those 65-series tires, but great highway roll! Made mincemeat out of the 5.0 Mousewangs (mousemeat?) from a roll. Even did decent versus 99 GTS (stock) from 60 roll, but by 105 the GTS was pulling away big-time.

My guess is that this car would run maybe low 14s with the horrid traction. From a roll - pretty awesome!

GNs are ugly, though. They just are. Lots of Skeeter/Cleetus types who saw the car at gas stations would disagree, though.

I felt like a traitor driving the car. I just flat don't like GM stuff. I sell a lot of it, but I feel cheap and ******. Wait! I should...I'm a used car dealer! (What puddle of oil? That's just sweat from all that horsepower! Great ad...) My daily ****** is a 94 Caprice LT1 cop car, and the best drag boat I've owned had a built/blown LS-7. Having said all that, I feel so much better and refreshed when I ******** a MOPAR. GM stuff is the like hookers we saw in the Philippines when I was doing WESTPAC deployments in the Navy: It's the kind of stuff you play with when you're too lazy to j**k off!

Regarding sleepers, the one I got from Lee Dove sure was sweet...a fox-bodied 514 stroker, only a hood scoop to detract from stock appearance, C-6 tranny, 3500 stall TCI converter, Mustang Muscle feature car a few years back. 10.8 @ 140 on STREET TIRES with a 2.73 gear! Ask Lee if you don't believe me.

I have a hard time disliking Fords. As for GM, Pah-Tooey! Had the Soviets been better developed economically, they would have built stuff like 'Vettes and Corsicas. Regarding Pontiac, even the Russkis could have built better-looking junk.

Shaddup about street bikes. You can't smoke cigars at 100 MPH on a street bike while you spill your coffee and drop your CDs.

OK I'm all flamed out now.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dr. Roof, it was good to meet you in person. You have a very impressive car, no doubt about it. I have some bad news for you though, you were not still in the race. You red lighted on a bye run which according to the event rules means immediate disqualification. I believe every driver who got a bye run was told not to red light or they would be out, maybe you didn't hear them. I know this is not a standard NHRA rule for those of you who will argue but if you check with John B or Phrashant they will confirm this.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason -- that's weird, I am sitting here with my video of David's bye run in front of me, and he didn't red light. Did he get two bye runs in a row, or was there a mistake in the tower?

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could've sworn that he red lighted on his last bye run before it rained. I apologize if I'm mistaken. If that's the case it looks like it was shaping up to be one hell of a race.

OP
OP
R

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GaryA's car ran 10.70's but it only has 650rwhp, at 135mph. Dr Roof has him covered by 150hp yet they pull the same et. Gary's car is on street tires Dr. Roof is on race tires, something just doesn't add up. One has intercooler the other no intercooler yet mph is only 4mph different. Maybe it's running all those bikes from a roll that is the problem, from a buick and viper guy.

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason -
I absolutely did not redlight on a bye run. as a matter of fact I waited until I saw green for at least 2 seconds before leaving just to make sure! Right after that is when I raced Roy from TNT Motorsports! (Super Nice guy) After that run the rain came!

My car did better each run. Im not a drag expert and never heated up tires so I was learning how to do it as we went along. The run at 10.67 or what ever does not count it was in practice! so to say that is the best car doesn't matter when your practicing! The only way to figure out the rest is to have a showdown and finish the race.

The same ET's with less HP results back to he is probably a much better driver! I have onlyt had my car for about 5-6 weeks so give me some time. Or I can let someone else drive my car to a real low ET But then again what fun is that?

Seriously - It don't even matter. i had a blast!!!!!! Enjoyed meeting alot of you guys. The track is an amazing time!

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. Roof, apparently I was mistaken when I thought I saw you redlight, once again you definitely have one seriously impressive car. It would've been nice to be able to finish the race. You seemed like a pretty cool guy, you didn't look anything like I expected you to, but then again noone on the board has. You definitely look younger than I thought, how old are you? It's good to see some young guys doing well for themselves. I can't wait to find out what your car runs once you sharpen your driving skills a little more. Once again I had fun and I can't wait to see you guys at the next shootout as I can only imagine that cars wiil be faster then.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad the rain spoiled things..
I wish I could hvae been there.... It's hard to peel myself off the couch while eating potato chips. As a matter of a fact, it's just too hard to get up FROM the couch..

Gerald

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk about rain spoiling things, we drove 24 hours round trip. I had just put a brand new set of HREs on the car which got severely tarnished during the trip. It was some week, 24 hours of driving, 5 hours of racing, 8 hours of cleaning my car, all in all I'd say it was worth it.

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason - I am 27 years old! I enjoyed meeting you and everyone else. Everybody gave me alot of tips! I wish we could have finished up!

SW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, just read through 4 pages of..stuff. First, I would like to say that it was a pleasure meeting everyone. Secondly, I would like to personally rent River City Raceway for any of these fast cars to run. You would have to run at least a 10.9 or better. This would be free, just show up and run. I would like to settle this, "my car is faster than yours" statement. I will be there with a Viper and a 183ci Toyota. Gerald, we can race at the track or from a roll or better yet, both. If any of you are interested, please let me know so I can book the track.

Thanks, SW

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't matter supercharged brothers,you would've lost to Jacks stock motor nitrous car,fastest in the class with a 10.67.
NITROUSNITROUSNITROUSNITROUSNITROUSNITROUSNITROUSNITROUSNITROUS

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i need to let out a little laugh here while reading some of these comments..

no offense to anyone, and i'm only even mentioning this to make a point, but most of the guys that own DLM cars have never really drag raced before let alone been to the drag strip...

gerald.. nope...
dr roof.. nope..
dan black.. nope...
and many others....

the only guy with a DLM car that i can see extracting its full potential on the track will be ben treynor, and beechbend was his cars first trip to the track EVER..

i know its hard to believe, but alot of these guys dont supercharge their cars to run 9's at the strip.. i know my first stop after picking up the car would be the track, but some people have other priorities..

they just dont have the seat time at the drag strip to lay down awesome numbers..

of course the heads, cam, and nitrous guys are running better times.. they're better drivers.. they have the seat time at the track.. who really sprays on the street? its predominantly a track only mod unless you're one of those streetracer types...

put albert, SW, steve u, or any of the really good drivers behind the wheel of the boosted cars and watch them click single digit ET's all day long...

i would really hate to see any nitrous/boost animosity develope.. its bad enough that the GTS guys hate the guys with the RT10s..
smile.gif

- eddie -

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason Heffner:
I would have to agree with you guys whole heartedly. Could someone please explain how a car that supposedly makes 150 to 200 more rwhp than another could be running a less mph than the less powerful car? The facts are: when VOI drags come around it's time to put up or shut up, leave your excuses at home, most of the should be 9 second cars, wait, all of the 9 second cars are race cars, they don't run on pump gas and hardly ever get down the track, what good is having a car if you always need a pit crew with you to fix the car between rounds, having a car with more than one power adder is B.S., the fastest Vipers run the number one one power adder. Gerald, you are definitely living in your own world.........please come back to earth. Running bikes from a 100 mph roll and beating them is not as hard as you think, bikes do not have the power that a car does and will usually start to run out before a car does. I notice that you never mention the times when some kid in a Mustang wears you out from a light, God knows that there are plenty of them who can, you just comfort yourself by knowing that you'd beat him from a 175 mph roll. Has anyone ever been to a drag strip that lets you run from a 100 mph roll? Nope didn't think so. If anyone else has any other questions or feel that someone needs a reality check please let me know, I have no problem telling it like it is. Food for thought: George Brices LPE Viper makes 630 rwhp, this car would readily smoke Gerald on a regular basis no matter what the conditions. It seems to me that the guys with all the balls stopped talking about how bad thier cars are and came to Kentucky and showed everyone.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jason, I don't drag race, I simply, ever so simply state that MPH is a show of power. I can understand you being happy with 6 and change to the wheels, I sure was with my Gen I with a stock motor. Great job in running that down the track. My hats are off to you. I simply state that when a person puts down ALL the tuners I make a statement saying that E.T. isn't everything. Then you start jumping in at telling me to come back to earth. I'm sorry you feel insecure. Next time I take a bike from a START, I'll pretend it doesn't happen. With my poor driving skills and nearly 800 at the wheels, surely makes up for it (poor driving skills).

It's just so strange how some people think that runing 9's or running low E.T.s shows a Tuners capabilities and skill.

I also threw in a statement about Corvettes running 9's with MUCH less power, but with less MPH to show a point....

I also notice you say how many times I've lost to a "Mustang". Sorry Jason, I haven't lost a street race yet. Whether it's a bike or 1970's Mustang Technology on juice or supercharged.
Why always the insults?

JASON,
EITHER YOU"RE SELLING DRIVER SKILL OR HP.. Which is it? As a consumer, I purchase HP, NOT driver skill. And HP, I gots....
You never see me spout off how much faster / slower my car is then ANYONE else here on the board. But for some reason, I keep getting hammered, 'specially by you and / or Jamie. I wonder why.

Gerald

OP
OP
R

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gearald what do you call running a bike from a dead stop, to me that's racing. No one is putting you down or your car only stating when racing et wins, hp is horsepower but if not controlled you are still going to lose. You are blowing a head gasket for no reason, give and take in stride.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ronviper:
GaryA's car ran 10.70's but it only has 650rwhp, at 135mph. Dr Roof has him covered by 150hp yet they pull the same et. Gary's car is on street tires Dr. Roof is on race tires, something just doesn't add up. One has intercooler the other no intercooler yet mph is only 4mph different. Maybe it's running all those bikes from a roll that is the problem, from a buick and viper guy.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Interesting, I was there. I did NOT see Gary's car run any 135mph trap speeds, maybe 132 on average. Big difference between the mph, you should know better than that with your "claimed" experience. I did see Dr. Roof run between 136 and 139 on average and there is a big difference between the two mph's. I did NOT see Gary driving his own car, somebody else drove the car and with much more experience than Dr. Roof. I was told Gary's car has nitrous on it too. That may account for your intercooler.

Max

OP
OP
R

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Max it's not what you saw but the facts that count, 10.74 @134.7mph. could it just be an oversight on your part? Rounded off its' 135 now you are saying Dr Roof was more like 136 to 139 THAT BRINGS THE MPH EVEN CLOSER. That says alot for Jason's performance wouldn't you think. Slicks would definately make GaryA's car run deeper into the 10's. How many vipers did you see running pilot's into the 10's that day same track conditions for everyone.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr *****, once again you surface, trying to throw a little flame my way. Gary's car did in fact run 134.7 with about a 1.74 60 foot time. Whenever you come around you always seem to have your facts mixed up, there goes that selective memory again. I'll tell you what, I'll meet you at the track, run those numbers, and if you can find nitrous on Gary's car I'll give you my Viper. I don't believe anyone ever said Gary's car was faster that Dr. Roofs. Dr. Roof is a good guy in my book, you should learn from him. I would mention that we had no intercooler but then I'd be making excuses, and I don't have to, that's your job. I didn't notice your car out there laying down any numbers, probably because it doesn't run quite as good as your mouth. Not only did Gary's car not have Nitrous or intercooler, it also did not have race fuel injection but you tell yourself whatever you have to so you can sleep at night. Let me ask you something, what does Dr. Roofs car have to do with Gary's car? Dr. Roof has a fast car and he was out there racing it. Maybe you did see Gary's car run 132, Jamie missed a gear once. So tell me again which car was yours? I hate to have to talk a little smack on you but I can't stand those guys that are always running thier mouths about other peoples cars. :WARNING: This is now a polite conversation, don't make me have to take off the gloves. I'll look forward to hearing from you soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang