Is the K&N Air box kit worth the time?

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was searching old posts but didn't initially see anything, is the K&N Open Cone air box kit worth the time, or is it basically just a cosmetic upgrade if you already have K&N's and smooth tubes? Those of you that have this installed what are your thoughts?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jim...there were some posts before, and if memory serves me, there was actually a decrease in power with the K&N set-up. It seems that the best set-up is the smoothies & K&Ns. I also removed the rain baffle.

If you look at teh K&N deal, the hoses have some serious bends and are not very big in diameter.

Finally, ram-air. A modern fuel-injected car will get little, if any help from ram-air. And, on a Viper, the NACA "scoop" is really an inlet...not a coop.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where is the rain baffle? I assume somewhere in the airbox itself. I did not know to look for it when installing my S&B's.

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw ~20 hp improvement in rear wheel horsepower on an otherwise stock 97 GTS (424 rwhp after K&N box). Had the system on the car for several years with no complaints. I did not do a comparison with smooth tubes and K&N panel filters in the stock box. I have since installed headers, exhaust, T&D rockers, and the Roe Supercharger and saw 595 rwhp. From this observation I would say that the tube diameter and the "S" bends did not seem to limit the airflow.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John--that's interesting. I seem to remember someone posting that they lost several MPH on the track after an install of the K&N set-up.

BLue GTS, when you look into the NACA inlet, you will see a plastic "thing" sticking down. This is the rain baffle. You will also see n indentation on the top half of your airbox where it is. Once cut-out, I riveted in a piece of similar plastic to cover the hole. I can send you a pic, if you want to see it finished.

Q8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was searching old posts but didn't initially see anything, is the K&N Open Cone air box kit worth the time, or is it basically just a cosmetic upgrade if you already have K&N's and smooth tubes? Those of you that have this installed what are your thoughts?

i have the K&N airbox but in order to use it with ur 99 u'll have to trim it a little because of the new 99+ bigger fan ...it sounds really nice and it didnt hurt my HP i got 430WHP with the K&N box and the borla catback and mopar ecu ..hope this helps

You must be registered for see images