Is this a good deal...2001=26500$can. Carfax anyone?

Black 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This weekend I found this ad : http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=1169542

Email for more information, regarding condition of car. This is the email I got today:

((((Thank you for your interest in my car.I really hate to let it go but I must sell and what bothers me most is that I need to find a buyer over the Internet.However, this is the only way I will manage to do so since I am American, but I recently moved to Prague, Czech Republic due to work and family. Therefore I need a vehicle which complies with Czech standards and emissions.Furthermore, I am a fresh daddy and I just don't have the time to enjoy the car either way (my loss is your gain). I know it may seem quite difficult to complete such a deal, but I can assure you that my intentions are very straight and serious. I don`t have relatives in the States anymore so I had to bring it with me. The car is still registered in the USA and if I`ll sell it to an American it will be easier for the both of us. I realize that the price is a little below Blue Book value but if I will try to sell it locally, bringing it to Czech requirements, bodywork modifications and registration will be extremely expensive and nobody will purchase under these circumstances. I suppose that this means good news for you as the vehicle is in pristine condition, no accident history, clear title, no dents or dings,no scratches and it has the original color too! Always adult driven and garaged, never abused or raced, it hasn't even seen rain! I want everything to work out well for both of us. I will take care of the shipping and handling because I understand that nobody will pay for it since I am the one fettered to sell overseas. I have posted it as being in US, since this is where the sale has to be consumed. Please respond to my e-mail if you think we can make a deal.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Paul))))

Is this a scam or what....there is not many ways to check out the car !!!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RED FLAG!
You must be registered for see images

$26,500 CAD = Approx $23,000

Either fake or salvaged and I can bet it is the first one. Too cheap for a rebuilt salvage car unless it does not run.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scam,

Why would you list an American car on a Canadian website for sale? The car was just retitled in Ohio (Sep 29 05) - transferred from Indiana. And it was first listed on that website on Oct 15, how does that make any sense?

If you have the email headers of "Paul's" email we may be able to check where he was when he sent the email.

Besides that, why is it priced less than half of market value and he's paying shipping both ways (i.e. car already in Europe now he's going to pay freight to send it back, right).

-J

OP
OP
B

Black 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is email header:
X-Message-Status: n:0
X-SID-PRA: Paul Rudy <[email protected]>
X-SID-Result: TempError
X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jH3Ini0b2pjUboophGiJlAqfa9fh9ojEu4=
Received: from web35101.mail.mud.yahoo.com ([209.191.68.210]) by bay0-mc2-f1.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211);
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:03:34 -0800
Received: (qmail 11046 invoked by uid 60001); 12 Dec 2005 22:03:26 -0000
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;
h=Message-ID:Received:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;
b=vPGB34L/V3tpsJuWeIKF61ifz7kER5W6f28zE28C3H2L+Ihe+MkIgFHpQMKNqkJ2FJ4wai4k/Kz9uyQdrm+wZ0QNq3X22lg0GsjSRMqa2X5CZdXg+iODOKpaV5vExogXr7g1YU1XmEcxQPvLqwGqNFUsOkCl6gbYSkVfDYlyHGI= ;
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Received: from [64.12.116.134] by web35101.mail.mud.yahoo.com via HTTP; Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:03:26 PST
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:03:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Response to "Dodge : Viper RT/10 CONVER" at Kijiji
To: [email protected]
In-Reply-To: <638768418.1134235731272.JavaMail.v3intl@ct-v3class002>
MIME-Version: 1.0

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< $26,500 CAD = Approx $23,000 >>

i think it is legit. i too throw $20,000 chunks of cash away on a regular basis.

isnt that normal? doesnt everyone? what am i missing? :rolleyes: :D

You must be registered for see images

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black94,

The line:

Received: from [64.12.116.134] ...

Points to AOL, seems whoever this is has sent the email while logged onto AOL (connecting to Yahoo from an AOL account). And, AOL offers a free 90 day account, so, they are probably good at covering their tracks and are logging into AOL to send you an email via Yahoo. They might be logging into AOL via another network too, who knows.

Next steps: Ask the guy for his phone number in the Czech Republic and give him a call.

Or maybe have him take a picture of the car at the port (since it is in 'customs' somewhere) Have him take a picture of the MHD panel on the driver side door (open the door, on the side that opens out you will see a white label that has the car build details). Should be easy to do if he has the car.

Oh, one more thing, ask him to fax to you the front and back of the Ohio Title he just got for the car -- or any title for the car for that matter -- you don't have to tell him you know what state it was last titled in...in fact you might ask him to fax the car's title to you without mentioning you know where it was last titled. In any case you would have to find out if the car has a clear title or if there is a lien on it.

I just did a search and could not find this particular car for sale anywhere on the web...(or previously for sale), too bad, that would had been fun if we could have found out who bought this car last.

But, at that price it is just waay too likely to be a scam. Beware.

-J

OP
OP
B

Black 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Received: from web35101.mail.mud.yahoo.com ([209.191.68.210]) by bay0-mc2-f1.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211);
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:03:34 -0800
Received: (qmail 11046 invoked by uid 60001); 12 Dec 2005 22:03:26 -0000
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;
h=Message-ID:Received:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;
b=vPGB34L/V3tpsJuWeIKF61ifz7kER5W6f28zE28C3H2L+Ihe+MkIgFHpQMKNqkJ2FJ4wai4k/Kz9uyQdrm+wZ0QNq3X22lg0GsjSRMqa2X5CZdXg+iODOKpaV5vExogXr7g1YU1XmEcxQPvLqwGqNFUsOkCl6gbYSkVfDYlyHGI= ;
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Received: from [64.12.116.134] by web35101.mail.mud.yahoo.com via HTTP; Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:03:26 PST
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:03:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Response to "Dodge : Viper RT/10 CONVER" at Kijiji
To: [email protected]
In-Reply-To: <638768418.1134235731272.JavaMail.v3intl@ct-v3class002>
MIME-Version: 1.0

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way,

I was just reading this:

http://www.mzv.cz/washington/cons/vehicle.htm

and it seems the regs for importing a car to the Czech Republich are fairly minimal...so, this guy is not being very honest when he says

bringing it to Czech requirements, bodywork modifications and registration will be extremely expensive and nobody will purchase under these circumstances.

-J

Bulldogger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a scam, same car was listed on auto trader last summer with car being in Canada and owner in Ohio. Ask for a copy of the title with vin. You will get nothing just send money to hold the car.

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tell him you will send a cashiers check for $35,000 and he is to pay you back the $12,000 when your shipper goes to pick up the car.

Darkness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reminds me of those Nigerian email scams! Funny though, we could actually get law enforcement on this given that'll be internet fraud. FBI has a department for that.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell him you will send a cashiers check for $35,000 and he is to pay you back the $12,000 when your shipper goes to pick up the car.

HAHA That's awesome! fight a scam with a scam. Someone should try this.

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Thank you for your interest in my car.I really hate to let it go but I must sell and what bothers me most is that I need to find a buyer over the Internet.However, this is the only way I will manage to do so since I am American, but I recently moved to Prague, Czech Republic due to work and family. Therefore I need a vehicle which complies with Czech standards and emissions.Furthermore, I am a fresh daddy and I just don't have the time to enjoy the car either way (my loss is your gain). I know it may seem quite difficult to complete such a deal, but I can assure you that my intentions are very straight and serious. I don`t have relatives in the States anymore so I had to bring it with me. The car is still registered in the USA and if I`ll sell it to an American it will be easier for the both of us. I realize that the price is a little below Blue Book value but if I will try to sell it locally, bringing it to Czech requirements, bodywork modifications and registration will be extremely expensive and nobody will purchase under these circumstances. I suppose that this means good news for you as the vehicle is in pristine condition, no accident history, clear title, no dents or dings,no scratches and it has the original color too! Always adult driven and garaged, never abused or raced, it hasn't even seen rain! I want everything to work out well for both of us. I will take care of the shipping and handling because I understand that nobody will pay for it since I am the one fettered to sell overseas. I have posted it as being in US, since this is where the sale has to be consumed. Please respond to my e-mail if you think we can make a deal.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Paul"

As a person who sold their car and bought their Viper online I have to say this is a 100% scam. Never would I do any kind of business outside of the US. Also, if its to good to be true, it probably is.

Think about it, he could have sold the car to any dealership, in a heart beat, for that price before he left the US.

good luck

OP
OP
B

Black 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just email this guy this:

"Could you send some pictures of the car. One with VIN would be great also.

I would also like to see the MHD panel on the driver side door (open the door, on the side that opens out you will see a white label that has the car build details).

Do you have a clear title for the car, and if so could you email a copy of it to me.(photo) The sooner the better.

Proof of registration to you.
The sale of your car to ME, will depend on this.

Complete title, front and back.

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These deals are BS. I was looking at supras for a while, and they post these all the time, with the same story just different countries. They ask for a deposit, and hope someone will actually send one. Deals that look too good to be true usually are. I dont care how desperate someone is for money, no one will let someone steal away a car like that. Dont waste your time or get your hopes up. Look up supras on autotrader, and you will see the same thing.

OP
OP
B

Black 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already gave up on this j**k. Wished he had replied. Could play along for a while. Guess it scared him off !!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte