Is Wolfgang leaving DC?

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read this on another post...

Bernhard, former CEO of AMG, was COO of the Chrysler Group during development of the ME Four-Twelve. He has since been promoted, and then un-promoted, to head of the Mercedes-Benz Group, where he was due to replace Juergen Hubbert May 1. Instead, after Bernhard bucked chairman Juergen Schrempp’s authority, he saw the reins pulled from his hands. Although still a member of the DaimlerChrysler board, he has no job assignment and is expected to leave the company. Some speculated that the ME Four-Twelve’s strong association with the 43-year-old car guy—who once rode a motorbike powered by a Viper V10 onto the show stand at Detroit—might spell its demise.

Any thruth to this story? Wolfgang is a big supporter of the Viper, please say it aint so!

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it is true. He was suppose to be co-head of MB starting May 1st and take over completely in Aug. It's really sad because he is a true car guy. I hated to see him leave Chrysler because he was such a huge Viper fanatic. When the IL VCA auto-crossed against the DC executives he never missed an event. He's a very competitive person. We miss him already.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you imagine if Iacocca had have gotten ahold of the Viper?
Recall that killer car, the the TC by Maserati?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Graphite - Don't know where you are coming from but Iacocca was the CEO when the Viper program started and he received VIN 001 in 1992 MY. He did not depart until the after Viper was in production.

Now a bigger question would have been would Eaton have approved the Viper program. A question we will never know the answer to.

It is easier, much easier in fact, to keep an existing vehicle line alive than it is to start it from scratch. Give Iacocca credit for doing just that.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm referring to the K-car that Iacocca added landau irons, vinyl tops, wire wheel covers, and "Corinthian leather" to make the New Yorker. It's Bob Lutz that we owe the credit to for the Viper.
The Viper was Lutz's baby. It was not Lee's idea.
I've read all Iacocca's bios, but, man, there ain't no such thing as "Corinthian leather".
He shoulda stayed away from Kerkorian.
Not to mention the TC. You are giving Lido a little more credit than would I.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree Bob was central to the Viper. However Iacocca held the purse strings. Doubtful many others would have dared to put the money forward (especially at that time when Chrysler was selling junk bonds to support building the Chysler Tech Center and encountering tons of bills related to the buyout of AMC). Also don't forget that one of the bargaining chips was the relationship with Lamborghini. That relationship was forged before Lutz arrived.

Iacocca was also the link to Shelby. Remember those Shelby L bodies of the early and mid 80/s? No corinthian leather there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960