It's not 0.08 seconds

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the average owner could drive like Randy & get the car to its limits anyway...its laughable. Its a great performance machine period. just drive it and enjoy it. Its not thefastest car out there. But its one of the coolest and has lots of soul.

BTW I'd hafta disagree with the sentiment that American brands are on top. They've come a long way but german, italian, japanese and english brands all have outstanding models out there and the competition has never been stiffer. And last I checked it was nissan McLaren and lambo that had cars going 0-60 in 2 seconds, and not in 3 seconds.

Yes but on a track, the American cars are on top. The Nissan, McClaren and Lambo are slower than both the Vettes and Vipers at Laguna Seca, the Ring and most other tracks. I don't think straight line performance is the measure of a supercar. Muscle cars yes, super cars no. That said, if the Viper's production car records do eventually fall, it doesn't make it any less of a rolling masterpiece in design and engineering in my eyes :D

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh I'm with ya! I love this car so much I drove 60 miles today to se #14 and its the 2nd time this week i did so :)

Guess what I'm trying to say is its not the fastest production car and that's ok. Sorry but I don't think it can beat the GT-R, the MP4-12C, the Aventador, the F12 or the Veyron. And that's fine. When I saw and drove the new McLaren I kept saying how it was missing something. After spending 1/2 of this day staring at a Gen V I didn't have that notion at all. The curves & shapes are ****, the ride height and cockpit seem aggressive and I actually suspect the factory exhaust note will be decent. Speed isn't everything. Aesthetics, performance and exclusivity have great value in choosing a supercar and this snake has all of the above. Come on D1 status!!!

OP
OP
I

ipetrov

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but I don't think it can beat the GT-R, the MP4-12C, the Aventador, the F12 or the Veyron.

With all due respect, I beg to differ. In fact the Viper handed all of these cars (except F12, which has yet to be tested) their a.rse on Nurburgring and/or Laguna and a bunch of other famous tracks. It's amazing that it continues the proud legacy of the "working class" American hero that boldly spits in the face of the European aristocrat hypercars, a tradition started by the great Carroll Shelby and the Cobra and continued with the GT40 which totally dominated Le Mans for years.

Yet the Jeremy Clarkson types in Europe continue to program people's minds into thinking that American supercars can't handle corners or break. "No finesse to the suspension..." my ar.se! Funny enough the only Viper Top Gear EVER had on their track was a Gen III vert on a completely soaked track (which still put down an amazing time for such conditions). Yet Pagani was recently forced to admit to cheating with their Top Gear record-breaking Huyra (that used Zonda R slicks), while the Ferrari cosa nostra regularly sends an F1-like team of staff and two cars (one for straight line speed, one for track) on any pre-approved magazine test.

So please don't tell me record breaking laps don't count, BECAUSE THEY DO. It's part of the Viper DNA, not just some awesome side benefit. That's why the 1.33, 7.22 and 7.12 proudly decorate our ACR soldiers. That's why we had a 23-page thread (with SRT Engineers spending hours viewing it) on the original loss to the ZR1. That's why the T/A was rushed. SRT's CEO is most likely the fastest CEO on the face of this planet. The SRT engineers are probably the fastest engineers on the planet. It's a purpose-built car and that purpose is mostly to obliterate anything on a track.

To me it's the the voluptious body lines oozing aggression that is side benefit of ownership, not the fastest-ness of these cars.

So, to recap: on Laguna Seca the T/A would beat a similarly equipped ZR1 by more than 2 seconds, which in turn would beat the $300k+ Eurodream cars by another 2 seconds. Yes, it matters.

Last edited:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmm I guess 0-60mph in 3.4 seconds on the new snake was what threw me off. Thats great news if we're the best! Because in my rallies/circles I'm surrounded by Lotus, Lambo and the like, that think we have straight line cars.

I'm no racer, never even been to, nevermind on a track, and personally I'm sure I'll never see my car's limits, but its cool to know that when it reaches them it comes out on top. So thanks.

OP
OP
I

ipetrov

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:) I've only had my lowly Gen III for a year and have barely flirted with its limits - and boy was that fun! I've heard that once you learn how to safely reach those limits, the enjoyment becomes an addiction worse than (and probably more expensive than) *******...

I know for sure that this board is full of track junkies, including a certain Mr. Gilles :) Hopefully one day I'll be worthy of joining their ranks.

hmmm I guess 0-60mph in 3.4 seconds on the new snake was what threw me off. Thats great news if we're the best! Because in my rallies/circles I'm surrounded by Lotus, Lambo and the like, that think we have straight line cars.

I'm no racer, never even been to, nevermind on a track, and personally I'm sure I'll never see my car's limits, but its cool to know that when it reaches them it comes out on top. So thanks.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:) I've only had my lowly Gen III for a year and have barely flirted with its limits - and boy was that fun! I've heard that once you learn how to safely reach those limits, the enjoyment becomes an addiction worse than (and probably more expensive than) *******...

I know for sure that this board is full of track junkies, including a certain Mr. Gilles :) Hopefully one day I'll be worthy of joining their ranks.

Amen to that! In a couple weeks, I will be hot lapping ZR1s in Ron Fellows driving school near Las Vegas. Getting ready for my snake. As policy limits would say, living the dream!

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Livin' the Dream!!!!! Live it man!!! I'm here livin' it with ya!!!!

Carpe Diem....u could stroke out in a heartbeat & it could be all over. And when you're dead & its lights out, you're dead for a very LONG time!!

Go for it!!!!!!! And enjoy to the fullest!

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Livin' the Dream!!!!! Live it man!!! I'm here livin' it with ya!!!!

Carpe Diem....u could stroke out in a heartbeat & it could be all over. And when you're dead & its lights out, you're dead for a very LONG time!!

Go for it!!!!!!! And enjoy to the fullest!

Words to live by, my friend

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GM builds the Corvette to compete with Porsche. Why do we compare and/ or care?
Yeah! That's why they keep on looking just like the viper since the gen 3 And every media outlet pitches them against each other every chance they get!

P.S. I do agree with who cares comment since the corvette does nothing for me! Isn't that the reason God made blonde, brunettes and redheads so we can choose what flix your bic?

Last edited:

bigmack339

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper should be compared with Lambo, Ferrari or Porsche, right? Corvette is just, well, cheap and uninspiring. Thet have mass produced V8 engines. The same engines can be found in popular performance part magazines, kit cars, trucks, instant rice, junk yards, bikes, foreign sport cars and anything that can be traded or sold on CL in mass quantities. Ya, lets compare the two.....

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thought process exactly. maybe the constant comparo because they're both american? I consider the Viper to be more of a Lambo than a Corvette and I've owned all 3 at this point, so that should have some credibility.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21