I've Just About Had It - I'm Going Stock!!!!

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'ve Just About Had It - I\'m Going Stock!!!!

Yo D time to take it to Shawn. Dont fck with it before you blow a piston.Bring it down and get ready for the spring

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What engine codes are you getting and are you running the stock PCM?

error code 0174 which i beleive is right bank lean

I don't see why that code would make it run bad ?? Meaning..from what you said, when you clear the code it runs ok until the code sets again ?????
I have my cruise a/f so lean it sets the code for both banks but it does not run any different.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey D,
When I first installed mine, it detonated. Turned out to be bad O2 sensors. When was the last time you changed yours?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I still say let me drivr that car down to sean one weekend

leave on thursday or friday and be back on sunday with a good running car and a tan.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey D,
When I first installed mine, it detonated. Turned out to be bad O2 sensors. When was the last time you changed yours?

i think tators replaced them when i replaced the pistons 2 months ago..

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

D, a bad PCM could also be the culprit. I had one that would do weird things as I got on it, shooting the car to lean for a second and then back to rich. Spoke to Doug, Sean and Jason as I was trying to chase down the problem. All had not really seen the same situation. Finally Sean sent me a new PCM and that problem ended. I'm not saying yours was faulty, you probably just need some proper tuning, but it's always a possibility.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yo D sorry to hear about all this **** your dealing with.

I would say either take it to Sean (I know kind of a trip) or have you tried Bill @ VOS? he has always done great on my car and hes not that far from you.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

D, for what it's worth, a word of advice from a stocker.

There no such thing as too much horsepower. But there is such a thing as reliable AND streetable horsepower. Find that magic number. For me it's stock. For you it's more than stock. But find it and you will be happy. High horsepower is always a compromise with reliability.

From meeting you and past posts, I estimate that you drag race it less than 5 times a year. You spend most of your time on the street where 800hp is useless, especially in the NY area. So ask yourself if it's worth the cost? And the costs that will inevitably follow.

No, I'm not suggesting you go to stock. I'm suggesting you find the right balance. In most stress applications, break point is dialed in from the bottom-up. I recommend you follow that sound approach instead of your top-down approach. What that means is you start with the lowest horsepower for your car and stress it for a month. See what's broken or damaged and start tuning up the power by about 50hp or whatever is reasonable and stress it for another month. Repeat until you reach your magic number. What I'm saying is don't shoot for 800hp when 700hp is not reliable.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

D sorry to hear about your car but you saved me alot of money in doing the supercharger to my car. My mind is now made up. Adrian

Wait just a minute! Do not let D scare you away from the charger. He has a pretty long list of mods which all conspire to more tuning headaches. His car ran fine when it was a 5psi car. To be honest I would be surprised if any car with his mods making 738rwhp didn't detonate on the street. That sounds like tuning on the edge.

For everyone saying this is scaring them away it shouldn’t. My car has run perfectly from day one with the stock -6 degree card. Now to be honest I am not making much HP but it does run without issues. The more parts you add and the more HP you want to make the more work it will require. If you want just 550-600rwhp the ROE is a very easy way to do that.

D, if you get the **** welded in your collector I can help you hook up the wideband and we can do some pulls to send to Sean, let me know.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i agree with aaron. more mods makes it harder to tune but i CAN be tuned. jus tgonna take a little bit of time and effort which i think is worth it.

D, go for a nice nitrous setup, easy and FAST as ya know..lol

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you are going stock, you should get a Z06. They are faster than stock Vipers, and you can add cold air intake, slicks, and headers to improve stock performance.

All stock.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score

D, a bad PCM could also be the culprit. I had one that would do weird things as I got on it, shooting the car to lean for a second and then back to rich. Spoke to Doug, Sean and Jason as I was trying to chase down the problem. All had not really seen the same situation. Finally Sean sent me a new PCM and that problem ended. I'm not saying yours was faulty, you probably just need some proper tuning, but it's always a possibility.

should i plug in the stock 2001 PCM just for kicks for a few days and see what happens. right now i have the 96 PCM in there.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's basically a trial and error thing.I was with D when I showed him my tricked out HARLEY. What did I say D recall? I said the ***** was such a headache when we put it together that I regreted it all.Now she's running great and I LOVE HER..It will take time and this is the time to do it.Winter.Get the car shot over to Seans and thats the end of it :nana:

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I've owned several cars with SC's and some ran better than others. The bottom line is every car is different and you might as well flip a coin when it comes to mail order tunes. After going though the stuff I have, I'd never put a SC or Turbo on my Viper unless I can have the car dyno tuned/road tested by a great tuner.

I know too many people that have moded cars an have had nothing but headaches from mail order tunes. I vote for getting your car to the tuner ASAP.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

D, try and throw in the 02 PCM...it CANT hurt it any. see what happens and maybe mess with one of the original cards ya have for the tune from Bill now that the PCM is swapped out.

its trial and error.

and soon as ya hear detonation...get out of it and try something else.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

before disagreeing with phil may i suggest that you ask sean roe or tony this question, these boys are in the know for real and maybe they can offer what they know as fact on that issue. for instance, i do suppose that the 96 unit was put in for a reason over the 2001 piece. hate to see something aweful happen is all. D, I also am curious, arent you still running a completely stock fuel system still. if so i think its problem solved. a stock fuel system wont hanle much over 600-650 rwhp. this is why all the big pony kits like dlm, TT... go with a whole replacement fuel system. I am positive at 700 plus ponies you are more than maxed out and this is very bad.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Am I the only one who thinks it's nuts to have spent 12K on a blower and other related gear and then have to DRIVE the car 1000 miles to get it tuned right?? It has to be physically at the tuners? ***?

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some friendly advice. Its all in the tune. Tuning on the dyno AND tuning on the street is needed and can give different results. Especially with the water ****. Pick your tuner (in your case Sean), and send it to him. He will be able to dial in the car so much easier if he has it. You have already spent a big chunk of change on the engine rebuild, heads, blower etc.
Spend a litte extra and get a great tune and the drivability you are looking for. Its a small price for what you already have in the car.

I'm around 700rwhp with a conservative tune and no timing advance. Macedo put a larger fuel pump in for added security. You might want to look into this as well. Its not that expensive. Good luck.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

simms just how close are you to the 700 mark. i was told not to push 650 on the stock fuel system so if thats where your at or close you may be safe but D at near 750ish stock probably is not safe. he needs to address his fuel system. and to the fellow that chimed in about spending all this money and having to resolve to jump through these hoops in getting it to run right needs a lesson in tuning and what exactly is involved in this science. you honestly can not believe that it is capable to build a 700rwhp viper can be tuned by a do-it-yourselfer, do you. D's car is far from stock configuration folks, not exactly what sean roe had in mind when he put do it your self on his website when advertising his blower unit. i know many with this unit on an otherwise stock car running 600 ponies with perfect results. NO ISSUES. And these folks, many of them anyway, did do their own tuning. Now when you take this setup and push the envelope like Dimitrios has, you must expect it manditory to have to spend a good portion of time and money into getting all these aftermarket pieces to co-exist well.What I still cant understand is how tator delivered his car with it running in this condition, unless this issue came up after the fact??

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

D has a problem... not enough water **** and too much regular fuel. just think... if you cut the regular fuel by 50% and then added 20% WM , that would have the same A/F ratio with a higher octane.

details...

JD

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

simms just how close are you to the 700 mark. i was told not to push 650 on the stock fuel system so if thats where your at or close you may be safe but D at near 750ish stock probably is not safe. he needs to address his fuel system. and to the fellow that chimed in about spending all this money and having to resolve to jump through these hoops in getting it to run right needs a lesson in tuning and what exactly is involved in this science. you honestly can not believe that it is capable to build a 700rwhp viper can be tuned by a do-it-yourselfer, do you. D's car is far from stock configuration folks, not exactly what sean roe had in mind when he put do it your self on his website when advertising his blower unit. i know many with this unit on an otherwise stock car running 600 ponies with perfect results. NO ISSUES. And these folks, many of them anyway, did do their own tuning. Now when you take this setup and push the envelope like Dimitrios has, you must expect it manditory to have to spend a good portion of time and money into getting all these aftermarket pieces to co-exist well.What I still cant understand is how tator delivered his car with it running in this condition, unless this issue came up after the fact??

Tator does not have a dyno and the fact that D does not have a wideband makes it almost impossible to tune without some dyno time.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

WRONG WRONG WRONG. Tator street tunes his cars Aaron. you are correct that he does not own a dyno but he has told me that in most instances he is able to tune these cars within 10-15 ponies of most any dyno out there. no Bull, it came right from his mouth on his last tech session to me. also understand that chuck has seem the internals of this motor more times than dolly parton has seen her shoes. Sorry but i am in love with those puppies. and many will attest that a street tune is also more valuenle to master for real world than a dyno machine is.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score

simms just how close are you to the 700 mark. i was told not to push 650 on the stock fuel system so if thats where your at or close you may be safe but D at near 750ish stock probably is not safe.

I'm a hair over. Diamond forged pistons, M2 StageII heads and cam, port matched intake, water/****. I'm running a larger fuel pump and the voltage booster. Its my opinion that D is getting 750ish due to too much timing since he is having a detonation problem. Most cars tuned with no timing advance with his mods put down mid to high 600s.

My car was dyno'd in humid 95 degree Orlando air with a 12.0:1 a/f under full boost. Stock timing.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Am I the only one who thinks it's nuts to have spent 12K on a blower and other related gear and then have to DRIVE the car 1000 miles to get it tuned right?? It has to be physically at the tuners? ***?
I live in CT and Shawn dialed mine in nicely. It took about 6 cards...I would let him know how the car ran he then made program changes, looked at my dyno sheets,etc. It runs great now, so it can be done from afar...AL... :nana:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If D is at 700+ and still on the stock fuel system, I think that is the major part of the problem. My understanding is the lines and the pump max at 650. I guess it it depends on when the detonation actually starts. Is it under full boost at the higher RPMs or just driving around at normal speeds? If it is giving problems only at the higher RPMs, I would say your exceeding the limits of the fuel system. My $.02 :p