Jack stands on a four post lift ????

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I need to remove all 4 tires off my 04 convert. Can I put the car on jack stands on top of a 4 post lift platform ( BACK YARD BUDDIE ). Just the front the back I can leave on the rolling jack .Thanx in advance for any help

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to say without pics but I'm not sure where the stands could be placed since most ramp width is limited to running along the same path as the tire tracks. I think the only safe spots would be along the side sills and placing stands there will damage the sills.

The lift manufacturer probably has a bridge accessory for what you are wanting to do.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can. just jack from the slinding center jack support. do the front first then the back or lift the car with the lift, put support where needed on the ground,then lower lift down. It all depends on the set up you have.use some 2x6 for support and damage control.

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

OP
OP
B

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 2 spots where I want to put the jack stands falls under the 2 metal triangles welded to the frame of the car . That I know is strong onough the question is is the ramp of the lift strong enough th bear the weight of the car

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2 spots where I want to put the jack stands falls under the 2 metal triangles welded to the frame of the car . That I know is strong onough the question is is the ramp of the lift strong enough th bear the weight of the car

the lift becomes the JACK...so when you lower the LIFT. the car will rest on the jack stands. you do not need much height. just egnough to keep the wheels off the lift rails.
the ramp is not in the mix. if you have a quality lift im sure it could handle the cars weight.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't have a BY buddy, but I do this all the time. Actually, because it freaks me out, here's how I do this. I lift the car up a few feet (past the safety stop), slide my stands under the car onto some strong frame areas, and lower the lift, the car then is on all 4 stands, and it takes less than 5 mins.

OP
OP
B

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't have a BY buddy, but I do this all the time. Actually, because it freaks me out, here's how I do this. I lift the car up a few feet (past the safety stop), slide my stands under the car onto some strong frame areas, and lower the lift, the car then is on all 4 stands, and it takes less than 5 mins.

Thanx and I understand but the wheels need to be off the car for 2 weeks and I need to store my other car under the lift with the viper on jack stands on the lift in the air .To lift the car off the lift I have a sliding jack which is great .

OP
OP
B

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you can. just jack from the slinding center jack support. do the front first then the back or lift the car with the lift, put support where needed on the ground,then lower lift down. It all depends on the set up you have.use some 2x6 for support and damage control.

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

Thanx for the info but does this apply to a Gen3.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your going to do this, be very careful. I would suggest at the very least 18" x 18" 3/4" min. plywood pads under the jack stands. This will do two things, it will help disperse the load over a larger area of the lift and will prevent the steel on steel contact which is very slippery. I would also use spansets with shackles at all four corners to secure the car to the lift. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, I'll take pics and show you. Safety is no accident, trust me I know!

OP
OP
B

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your going to do this, be very careful. I would suggest at the very least 18" x 18" 3/4" min. plywood pads under the jack stands. This will do two things, it will help disperse the load over a larger area of the lift and will prevent the steel on steel contact which is very slippery. I would also use spansets with shackles at all four corners to secure the car to the lift. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, I'll take pics and show you. Safety is no accident, trust me I know!

WOW good idea with the plywood I was going to put 1/2'' metal plates and the straps great info thank you very much .

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would also use spansets with shackles at all four corners to secure the car to the lift. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, I'll take pics and show you. Safety is no accident, trust me I know![/quote]

Would you mind posting pics of this? This is when you use a 4 post correct (I have one, and I waiting for the installers to put in a 2post.

Thanks!

Viperizer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can put the Jackstands under the car with out a problem, place them directly on the drive on ramps.I have done it hundreds of times with my drag car.
Did you know that you can order a Rolling Jackstand support for your BYB, that simply rides between the right and left ramps, perfect for putting a jack under the rearend housing or holding the motor in place when you drop the tranny...if you want a picture I can send you one.

OP
OP
B

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can put the Jackstands under the car with out a problem, place them directly on the drive on ramps.I have done it hundreds of times with my drag car.
Did you know that you can order a Rolling Jackstand support for your BYB, that simply rides between the right and left ramps, perfect for putting a jack under the rearend housing or holding the motor in place when you drop the tranny...if you want a picture I can send you one.

Thanx VIPERIZER I am going to do just that with the jack stands and probably put a piece of plywood under them as some one else recomended. As for the rolling jack I have one but i need to put the car up on all fours to send my rims out for powder coating .

Viperizer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Banshe, This is the gadget I am refering too...The 4 steel wheels rideon the edges of the ramps...Just roll one under the rear end housing and one under the front end...and your underway...

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is the jack I have . I would like to lift the front first and put jack stands under the 2 points and then roll the jack to the back and lift the rear and leave the car on the jack on its locking possition. I will also strap the front and back of the car to the lift .

JWALK35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a backyard buddy also. I put the stands under the center of the car and lower it down on the frame. Then put small stands under the side sill lift points. Then raise the lift and you can remove wheels at any height.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4