JL Audio C2-600's and 8W1's - any additional items needed?

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on changing out the headunit to something that has an ipod/3.5mm jack and also plan on using the stock amp (seems to provide enough loudness for me and I'm honestly just looking for a simple upgrade). Has anybody used the C2-650 over the 600? I've read of issues on here where 6.5's don't fit. Also, anything else I should order while I'm at it? Waterproof baffles, polyfill, adapter rings, etc? Thanks for the help

am.mscl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have the C2-650 in the doors of our GTS. The 600 might be a little bit better fit but I was able to get the 650's to fit but they were tight.

OP
OP
V

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I'm not sure what I was thinking yesterday morning, I meant to say the 6W3 in the factory rear location, not the 8W1. Unless I can make the 8W1 fit in that hole....

My other options instead of the 6W3 since I'm using the stock amp is possibly using a coax set like the C2-600X (or 650X) or the midrange woofers only, the C2-600CW (650CW). I would crossover the rear at the headunit and sacrifice some of the lower frequencies. Has anybody run either of these three speaker sets in the rear?

am.mscl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a few threads discussing the 6w3 in the rear spots; best if you do a search for them.
I put the C2-650x in the rear locations of the GTS we have and they fit perfect.
NOTE: we are not using the factory amp because it was removed from the car before we got it. Folks here talk about the factory rear speakers are subs and the factory amp is low pass only to those channels.

OP
OP
V

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've searched for those threads but it seems like everyone only talks about builds in RT10s. Do you have subs in your car? How do you like the output in the rear with your current setup? Thanks for the help

am.mscl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We do not have subs in the car. The output is good; at 1 time the output on the rear was overpowering the front speakers. Once we got C2 series in the front it is all balanced out now.

OP
OP
V

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more I look at this the more I think it should go with kicker stuff. I think it's going to work better for the requirements I have. Plus I think I read one of your posts where you want to get rid of your rear JL stuff and try the small kicker subs too