joggling on full throttle :-(

OP
OP
T

topsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The PCM is a 99 one. The engine is a 99 one and my car is a 2000 one. May this cause a problem? About the club, watch your PM.
I will at next check the fuel pressure. Keep you up to date.

OP
OP
T

topsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can have a pressure gauge ('manometer' in German) tomorrow. What values should I have regarding the fuel pressure? Or should I just look for a frequency and not too much about the PSI?
I will mount it on my windshield and kick it

OP
OP
T

topsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave, I will remove my intake manifold tonight and remove all spark plugs and make pictures of them. Also I will secure all gaskets with liquid gasket lube.
Pictures arrive soon.

Thanks again for your help

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can have a pressure gauge ('manometer' in German) tomorrow. What values should I have regarding the fuel pressure? Or should I just look for a frequency and not too much about the PSI?
I will mount it on my windshield and kick it

I think fuel pressure should be somewhere between 50 to 60 psi. Don't have my manual handy.

Not sure what you mean about frequency. The pressure should be relatively steady under all conditions - idle and at full load. Or kicking it as you might say.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, I will remove my intake manifold tonight and remove all spark plugs and make pictures of them. Also I will secure all gaskets with liquid gasket lube.
Pictures arrive soon.

Thanks again for your help

Sounds like you are going to use some gaskets sealer on your intake? Why? Are the flanges distorted or damaged? A fresh set of factory gaskets should seal your intake if everything else is in good shape. Torquing it as spec'd in the manual is important too.

OP
OP
T

topsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello Dave, my intake manifold gaskets were new, but the devil is a unicorn, or something like that... :D
I rechecked everything and secured the gaskets, where I thought it would be useful to do. New spark plugs (the NGK ones, not the Bosch Platinum ones anymore - I have never seen the FR8HP in a Viper, so I thought, this could be it too).
And it was... With the NGK ones, the engine runs a little more rough at idle but works pretty well on throttle.
I drove about 100km and it's good again. Nuff power, nuff sound...
One thing is confusing me. Where is the rev meter connected to? Where does it get it's information from? From the crank or the cam? Or something anywhere?
My tachometer works fine without jumps, but the rev meter jumps at accelerating (jumps up and sometimes a little down for about 500/min). Not too often but sometimes. Could also be, that the needle hangs and then causing a jump because it's already 500/min ago...?
I guess, this is a usual problem... Do you know of it?
Happy driving :drive:

Greets to the US
Dennis

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you calling the rev meter? As you have referred to the tach separately.

The tach gets it's signal from the PCM.

Other than that, gauges are usually not jumpy, and that might indicate a problem, although likely not a serious one.

OP
OP
T

topsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
tach / tachometer is the gauge where the speed is displayed in German language: 100km/h, 150 km/h...
With rev meter, rpm meter I simply mean the gauge left to it.
As well as manometer is an overpressure instrument in Germany.

Some linguistic difficulties, looks like.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AHHH.

Tachometer = US Speedometer

Rev Meter = US Tachometer

No wonder I drink.

I know some others too.

Spanner = US Wrench

Windscreen = US Windshield

Back to the RPM meter. It should not be jumpy unless there is an issue with either the meter itself, a wire or wire connector, or the PCM where it gets a signal from.