John Lingenfelter just passed away

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be the wrong forum but I wanted everyone to see this without it getting lost.

Just saw this on some other sites.

RIP John

With great sadness I am sorry to inform my fellow racers that our dear friend, and long time racer John Lingenfelter has passed away. He passed away the evening of December 25th. Arrangements are pending at this time and will be posted at a later date. John will be greatly missed by his family and many friends.

http://members3.boardhost.com/CompForum/msg/10465.html

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh man. :(

I was really hoping that he was going to just pop out of his coma, and go right back to building fast cars.

I had checked in on the Lingenfelter site from time to time and there had not been any updates on his condition for several months.

Such sad news.

-Dean.

OP
OP
J

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update as of Dec.19 from the NHRA SC site. Was not looking good then.

Dec. 19: NHRA driver, engineer, and legendary tuner John Lingenfelter's team has announced that Lingenfelter remains in a "semi-comatose state" as a result of complications from medical treatment.

Lingenfelter is at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, an experienced trauma facility, where he was transported after being hospitalized in Pomona following an incident at the NHRA Summit Sport Compact Series finals in October.

Lingenfelter's physicians rate the prognosis to recover from his neck and spinal injuries as "excellent," according to the family. But they say the chances of recovery from his semi-comatose state are "extremely poor" in "the foreseeable future".

Lingenfelter's company, LPE (Lingenfelter Performance Engineering) located in Decatur, Indiana will continue its normal operation. Tom Cress and John's daughter Kelly are running "the shop". There will be no change in staff or the way LPE does business.

"We will keep doing it John's way, that means the highest possible quality product that is both bullet proof and wickedly fast. We are the best because John trained us that there is no other way. In John's absence the LPE employees and family intend to keep up that tradition," said Cress.

The family asks that John's friends direct their prayers to God for his recovery and their well wishes to "the shop" were John's wife Cindy will maintain an office.

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2002/news/lingenfelter.html

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:(

Not the news I'd hoped for.

John Page, if you're reading this...my deepest condolences to you and your family. JL was an incredible man and someone my family spoke of in hushed tones for years...he was regarded as a legend around our house as I'm sure he was all over this country.

I considered it a very special honor of sorts just to be doing business with him via you and your shop.

Godspeed John....

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Very Sad.

Deepest sympathies to all his family.

The Houss Family

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that news! My thoughts and prayers go to his family and loved ones!
John is and will always be a legend to automobile enthusiasts!

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Lingenfelter's name is legendary, synonymous with the passion we all share, mind blowing horse power, and the need for speed...I know John fought a hard fight to recover from his accident in October of 2002, and I am positive his family will carry on his good name. We should all strive to leave even one tenth the legacy this man leaves...

PS: How many of us get butterflies, every time we are about to go at it with an LPE car? Only a handfull of other tuners command that kind of respect... :usa:

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had been following Johns progress for a while now, and it is still shocking to hear he has passed away. The world has lost a great guy. My deepest condolences go out to his family and friends.

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The world a ton he taught on engineering excellence, but by far his greatest gift was that of integrity.

Godspeed!

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My prayers to his family =...why do things like this have to happen on Christmas? Now Christmas will never be the same again.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a terrible loss for John's family and the Tuning Community as a whole. Macedo Motorsports extends our deepest condolences to the Lingenfelter family.

SW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is true,I spoke to a family member yesterday. I didn't want to post anything too soon. I'm really going to miss John. In the last 6 years we became very good friends. It's not going to be the same without picking up the phone and just talking to him. He loved his family, and loved going fast. My wife Kim loved John and they both enjoyed drinking good wine together. Kim& I will always remember the fun times we had together with him.

SW

SNAKEPILOT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of knowing John and had him work on a couple of my Corvette's. The last one was my 91 ZR-1, one of the first he had his hands on.
John was a true gentleman and a consummate professional. I will always remember a couple of "demo rides" with John at the wheel.
My sincere condolences to all his family and many friends.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I didn't know him at all, but his integrity showed through his work. Very sad to hear the news. Condolences to the family and friends.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is terrible. I never had the chance to personally meet John but feel that he will always be a legend in automotive History. In his years in the automotive industry he has set the standard for performance, quality, customer service and reliability. He was looked up to by many, including myself and will be greatly missed and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

dakotart1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funeral Arrangements For John Lingenfelter
Viewing Sunday December 28, 2003 - 11:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Zwick & Jahn Funeral Home
520 North Second Street
Decatur, IN 46733

To view obituary or send condolences to the family
http://obit.zwickjahn.com/obit_display.cgi?id=94816&listing=Current

Funeral Service Monday December 29, 2003 - 10:00 AM
The Bridge Church
1403 Winchester Road
Decatur, IN 46733

Memorials should be sent to the Funeral Home

proracer1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a terrible tragedy for John's family. Not just his own family but the racing family that so embraced and loved John. Words can not speak what he meant to all. Next time we hear the thunder from the clouds we can be at peace knowing it's John just breakin into the 9's

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:( My condolences go out to family and friends as well..Never drove one of his cars but from the many that I have spoken to amazing machines. I am sure he's building and designing up there for the almighty! :headbang:

Adam

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My prayers to John's Family. This is a terrible loss for the performance community. John will be remembered for his innovation, speed and integrity...