JonB hooks me up again...

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other night, I noticed that my shifter had started to spin in place (with enough force).

Fearing the worst, I dug in there and sure enough the rubber insulator had seperated from the shift rod. After looking at it closely, it appears that it's not bonded all that well to begin with...

Anyhow, Dodge dealership couldn't sell me a new insulator/shift rod combo (they said the insulator came seperately and didn't show a rod sticking out of it). Also, they couldn't sell the shifter itself - you have to buy a tranny it turns out!

Tried calling Rich a few times to no avail...if I can get one of his shift rods (4") I'll give that a shot later on but I couldn't wait any longer...

Jon B to the resuce - a quick call up there and the very next day I had a 2001 shifter assembley for me to pilfer what I needed off of. I asked for it overnight and it got here a day earlier than expected even...with a little gift in there to boot. :)

Thanks again Jon!

(btw, for kicks, I've cleaned (fine grit sp) the stock shift rod and cleaned out the insulator and rebonded it with a 2 part epoxy that fills the cavity much better and is pretty much NOT going to break loose again. Just a note to those that it can be rebonded - you don't have to go the route I did and replace the entire insulator unit - I just wanted to have a back up just in case the rebond job didn't take)