Jump starting....

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I left my lights on and ran the battery completely flat.
Suggest you remove the battery from the car - charge it overnight
I have done this and the battery has not failed since. Can't comment on the use of a "tender" - never used one.
Gavin

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Have you tried measuring the voltage before the charge and after? After the battery tender goes solid green pull the clips off and measure the voltage. You should at least 12.2 volts or so. Try to start the car and measure again. If much lower than that, I'd say your best to pull the battery and try charging it directly on the side terminals (screw in a couple of bolts to give the clamps a grip). Once the battery is pulled, you might as well get it load tested at an autoparts store or at Sears as that is the only definitive way to be sure of the battery's condition.

It sounds to me either like another bad battery, corrosion on your terminals or possibly a loose connection at the battery or the path to the starter. Either way, you'll need to bite the bullet and pull the wheel and battery.

Batteries can fail prematurly for a variety of reasons, for example vibration (are you sure it's tied down solidly?). I use a copper paste called Koper-Shield part # 25002 (available from www.eastwoodcompany.com) on the battery terminals to prevent corrosion and to decrease connection resistance.</FONT f>

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try jump starting it off another vehicle, through the jump studs. Make sure the other vehicle is running with 2500 - 3000 rpm when you try and start yours. (Don't go for a 'weedy' car to jump start off either!) Use good quality, short thick jump leads, and give a twist as you clamp onto the terminals to ensure good contact. Connect up leads with engines off, then fire-up jump car and run for a few minutes before attempting to start yours. If it turns yours over but doesn't fire straight away, wait a few minutes before trying again, don't keep cranking! I was surprised at how small the lead is that earths the starter, I would imagine it could easily be overloaded. If car starts or cranks over jumping it, then you will know its your battery. If it still just "clicks" then my guess is starter at fault, or bad connection on to it. There are two big main positive wires onto it 1) direct from battery 2) ignition activated, they connect onto the same terminal. To check this terminal is tight, you can grab it with your hand, and see if it will wiggle...it should be solid! Reach down past the rear of the drivers side header, passing your arm just in front of the clutch master cylinder to get at it. You can see the starter by peering down with a torch if day light not good! Earth lead must be good also.

If your battery is completely flat it may have trouble running due to not being able to power the electric fuel pump, among other 'organs'. If battery has become flat for a while, or cold has got to it when flat, it probably won't be able to hold its charge, despite charging it, you'll need a new one. Also, flat battery = battery disconnect, and so engine will run / idle 'rough' for a short while until PCM re-learns it values.

Best V10 wishes.

(Don't be tempted to bump start, it will wreck your cats!)