just bought 06 paxton coupe... question?

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just picked up an 06 coupe with paxton, motons and corsa track exhaust. Flying to palm beach this weekend and driving back to tn. Do I need to retune after getting it back home or will it be ok as is? Seller said it had 750 hp at crank which sounded like a conservative tune.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That depends on who it was tuned by to begin with, and the relative elevation change. I would at least check the tune or bring the car to a reputable tuner. I would be weary about someone advertising crank HP though, very unlikely they measured that and are more likely back calculating. Aside from new cars power numbers should be wheel, not crank.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Before you do anything, have the car checked out. And be ready to walk away from it, if its not what was described. I stuck myself with a cross country purchase, should of walked away rather then purchase. Cost me thousands before the car was like i wanted it. I should of kicked this guy right in the nuts and walked away, never again. A lesson well learned.

OP
OP
J

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car is currently 21 or so feet above sea level, coming to my town which is about 720 feet above sea level.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You always want to retune it when you change locations! Everywhere is different.

I disagree. Actual altitude has little to do with density altitude, which is what really matters. Most areas of this country see highly positive DA and negative DA, simply based on weather conditions alone. 720 ft altitude is nothing, it isn't like going 10,000 ft up.

I'd only recommend you take it to a nearby dyno tuner and have them put a wideband on it, just to make sure the current tune is okay and not too lean on the A/F.

OP
OP
J

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to Mark @Woodhouse, he is the one that did the install according to the owner, he said it should be fine unless the car was being shipped to Denver or somewhere extreme. Wideband is a good idea I need to do that.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked hard at that car. Beautiful car and good mods. Call DLM and get some cooling mods. If it is anything like all of mine, as soon as the motor warms up, you will lose gobs of power. Did he pull the wing off, or is it still on?

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to Mark @Woodhouse, he is the one that did the install according to the owner, he said it should be fine unless the car was being shipped to Denver or somewhere extreme. Wideband is a good idea I need to do that.

He's correct 99% of the time. However it's cheap insurance to just at least throw it on the dyno and check out the air/fuel mixture.

Can you imagine if you really had to retune for every location? The OEMs would have to tune for each dealership and going on a roadtrip would be impossible! Luckily the MAP, IAT, and MAF sensors are a pretty good compensator for pressure, temperature and (in the case of MAF) humidity.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The question is who can tune in your area? No one would be my guess. Have Doug at DLM tune it correctly and leave it alone.

OP
OP
J

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked hard at that car. Beautiful car and good mods. Call DLM and get some cooling mods. If it is anything like all of mine, as soon as the motor warms up, you will lose gobs of power. Did he pull the wing off, or is it still on?

nope, wing is still on. the mods are what attracted me to the car plus the prefix aero kit. not a fan of white usually but the car looks good with the aero package. Had bought a black 08 ACR but the deal fell through. I found this one afterwards.

You must be registered for see images attach