Just bought a 2001 RT/10

BigRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone in the Viper Forum. I just purchased a 2001 Red RT/10 this past weekend from Michigan (3/28/03). I was a previous Vette owner until I sold it two weeks ago and bought the RT/10. What an awesome car. I love the Vette but the Viper is just an unbelievable machine. Do I need to know any inside information on the RT/10 that most people don't know?

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! I recently bought my red RT/10 & sold my vette. What an upgrade!
What mods does it have?
You will definately want to change the factory exaust & cats. I just had my cats changed to Hi flo's & the sills are so much cooler!
Interior upgrades go to mgw.

Andy

ALSO, when you close the hood, look underneath the hood where the hood attaches to the brackets, this is the two spots (from the top) you want to push on to close.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi BigRed,

Welcome to the club. Just poke through this site, do some searches for "newbie" or somesuch, and just browse the old forum messages.

I'm live not too far from you... shoot me an email if you'd like to meet up for drinks someday...

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Inside Info:
1. Secret Handshake - can't reveal even to GTS owners, can only be revealed to RT/10 owners in person
2. Closing the Hood - as noted above, see where the hinges attach to the hood, and push down there (about a foot from the front edge of the hood)
3. Alarm deactivation keyslot - in the glove box in case you accidentally set of the alarm
4. Careful with the go pedal, esp. in turns - torque kills!
5. When folding up the soft-top, put in a cloth to prevent the folded side arms from rubbing the top (else a hole might wear) and under the folded side arms to avoid beating up the closest support "rib"
6. Drive with the top off as much as possible, and drive the car as much as possible
7. Change to smooth tubes and K&N filters or S&B filters (e.g., www.roeracing.com) if not already installed
8. Change to EBC green brake pads if you want less brake squeal and dust

About all I have off the top of my head.

VivaceViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the club. I've been an RT/10 Owner now 8 years now and love it. I too went from a Vette owner to Viper Owner. Just remember, take care of it and it'll take care of you. Also get ready for a lot of attention, the only thing that attracts more attention than a Viper is a goodlooking woman on a Viper,LOL.

Good Luck and Enjoy

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Inside Info:
1. Secret Handshake - can't reveal even to GTS owners, can only be revealed to RT/10 owners in person
2. Closing the Hood - as noted above, see where the hinges attach to the hood, and push down there (about a foot from the front edge of the hood)
3. Alarm deactivation keyslot - in the glove box in case you accidentally set of the alarm
5. When folding up the soft-top, put in a cloth to prevent the folded side arms from rubbing the top (else a hole might wear) and under the folded side arms to avoid beating up the closest support "rib"
6. Drive with the top off as much as possible, and drive the car as much as possible
7. Change to smooth tubes and K&N filters or S&B filters (e.g., www.roeracing.com) if not already installed

Great list Slaughter. Especially #3

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to find #3 the first day that I had my R/T. I forgot the remote, locked the doors, then realized there was no keyhole in the door. The keys to the back window were in the car too. I had to get a locksmith to pry the window open and pull the emergency unlock. Then I couldn't figure out how to make the thing stop honking and flashing the lights, and it wouldn't run. The 3rd dealership I called told me about the keyhole.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome BigRed.

Made the same move myself 2 years ago. my list would include

1.Driving school.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great list slaughter and welcome to the club BigRed!

Inside Info:

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about
Do not try to put the fricking hard top on by yourself, the rear pins will scratch your paint.

If you take the wheels off with an impact wrench, wrap the socket in green felt so the socket will not scratch up the wheel.

Always keep a roll of Duct tape in the trunk! Holds the hardtop latches when the spring pops out & they do not stay closed. (Only reason hardtop was on was for Zaino Polish)

Andy
You picked a good color RED VIPERS ARE FASTER!!

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to find #3 the first day that I had my R/T. I forgot the remote, locked the doors, then realized there was no keyhole in the door. The keys to the back window were in the car too. I had to get a locksmith to pry the window open and pull the emergency unlock. Then I couldn't figure out how to make the thing stop honking and flashing the lights, and it wouldn't run. The 3rd dealership I called told me about the keyhole.

HA HA glad you had an RT hunh?

I did pretty much the same thing but I still had the key for the back window.

BUT it was on the first day I had the car.

It was on the Fort Hood army base in TX and I was on my way back home to FL> :)

BU

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BigRed...Welcome to the dark side!

First, you wanna rev her to about 5900, and dump it...to ensure your clutch plate is seated...Oh, and pick up a new set of rears while they are cheap, ($157 at TireRack)...You're gonna need them! Congrats!

Vette's ****!

OP
OP
B

BigRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and useful information. I will take all information you have all provided and use it. Everyone sounds very informative and I am glad to join the Viper Forum.

It's very wierd to switch to the Viper Forum from the Corvette Forum. :laugh: :laugh: ;)

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the exhaust & smooth tubes, that is the next thing to replace. The stock stereo S@cks! I have a 02 RT/10, I just finished my stereo. Kenwood Sirus Satalite, 6 disc, JL Audio component(fits in original holes), JL Audio sub between seats & JL Audio Sub in passenger floorboard. One JL Audio 250 Watt continous to 2 subs, & Kenwood 150 watts continous X 2 to each door. I think this is everything you can do without any cutting
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/[email protected]/lst?.dir=/Car+Stereo/Car+Stereo&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/

See if that link works

Andy

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Red:

Welcome to the club! Occasionally check your power steering cap to be sure it's tight. Only screws and does not latch. When it backs off and fluid hits the header? Flames abound.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about
Do not try to put the fricking hard top on by yourself, the rear pins will scratch your paint.
I toss a towel over the windshield frame, set the top on it for position, then pull the towel out to lock down the top. I also keep a towel in the trunk to do the same with the soft top, also comes in handy for the leaky soft top during rain.

Too bad I didn't think of it before I scratched the frame all up.

Vette's ****!

Way to keep up the cause Gerald. LOL