Just completed my first trackday in the Viper

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the proper place to post this so (moderators) feel free to move it if necessary.

I am the co-founder of a small car enthusiast group in Tucson, AZ and we hold drives/cruises each month. Yesterday we rented out a roadcourse near Deming, NM called Arroyo Seco Raceway. This is the 3rd annual event we have held there an it's always a great time. We had enough cars (22) that the price per person was $70 for a full day (9am-5:30pm) of track time. This track is very safe and has tons of runoff so damage/injury is not a big concern here. A great place to unleash a Viper!

We held a Time-Attack (racing against the clock) and I came in 2nd, lost to an 11 second EVO IX RS by .4 secnds, 1:19.74 to my 1:20.11. I really need to upgrade my brakes, it felt like the pads were made out of concrete, definately my downfall.

Here are some pics from the event. I may have some video to post soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RobZ....don't tear up your street wheels. i've got a set of 3 spoke wheels with hoosiers mounted & also CCW Wheels 17's....I've got 25.5 x 12 x 17 goodyears mounted on them now. so imagine they are 13" wide. You gotta run all rears all the way around.

OP
OP
R

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The EVO that beat me, driven by my friend Rob. Runs 11.90's and handles like, well an EVO. What else can I say? Those cars are very potent. It was great fun chasing each other lap after lap.

Preparing for the Time-Attack

Letting the engine cool after my timed laps

OP
OP
R

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Driving until I ran out of daylight...

...and I'm done, for this month anyway. ;)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out DavesBigBrakes.com site thoroughly; he has brake upgrades for all wallet sizes... The fact you didn't complain about front lock up says lots for your abilities.

OP
OP
R

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been looking at Dave's site for awhile, lots of great products on there.

I only had one instance of lockup while trail braking into the bus-stop. The right front got light on turn-in and I ended up dragging it for a few feet. No other issues. I bet I would be complaining more if my brakes were better. I think the previous owner threw some cheapo pads on the front, they really have no bite at all and feel like race pads that aren't warmed up.

I also need to look into the power steering mod, it was pukng a bit.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake fluid looks a little brown. Did you change it before the event?

The front right is most likely locking because of weight distribution, not brake setup. Either add some lead to that corner or invest in some ride height adjustable coilovers.

OP
OP
R

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It only locked once. I know it's because I was braking while I started to turn in. Weight was transfered from the RF and it simply lost traction.

I did not change tht fluid before the even. I will be changing it along with new front rotors and pads shortly.

OP
OP
R

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Really, what's the purpose? I suppose to have the full potency (moisture/temp resistance) available? Is it necessary (assuming no other track events on the fluid) if the car isn't undergoing hard braking during normal driving or is it mainly for moisture?

Thanks for the tips,

Rob

K

Kaya

Awesome! I just did my first track event in my viper and I had a blast. Looks like you had a good time :) And if everyone is safe, then things are great. I did learn that track events are much harder on tires and brakes than drag racing.

Congrats!!!! Check out www.viperdays.com

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really, what's the purpose? I suppose to have the full potency (moisture/temp resistance) available? Is it necessary (assuming no other track events on the fluid) if the car isn't undergoing hard braking during normal driving or is it mainly for moisture?

Thanks for the tips,

Rob

Brake fluid is hygroscopic (or hydroscopic if you prefer). It starts absorbing moisture as soon as you open the bottle. Different brake fluid absorbs at different rates.

As a beginner you may or may not heat up your brakes. Play it safe and get in the habit of changing the fluid as close to the event as possible.

K

Kaya

Track events are ******* tires, brake pads and brake fluid...check all of the above and change what is necessary. And don't be cheap if you plan to track again...you need your brakes and tires. They are the most important part of the driving experience.

I changed my Z06 tires every 8 thousand miles, but I used my stock tires to drag race. Safety depends on car maintenance. Listen to what these guys say. Also buy the proper safety equipment for the event.

Hope you have fun!