Just Drove a 2004 Z06. It's no Viper!

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just Drove a 2004 Z06. It\'s no Viper!

As a vette enthusiast for many years I test drove a 2004 Z06 for a buddy of mine. It's been a year since I traded in my 1999 C5 for my 2001 GTS.

Although the Vette is a nice car, very powerful and refined. I have to say it just is not as exciting as driving my Viper. The torque on the Viper is unmatched and makes it a blast to drive.

My buddy bought the vette today which is his first real sports car. I give him 12-24 months then I'll start egging him on to move up to a Viper. Time will tell! :cool:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Just Drove a 2004 Z06. It\'s no Viper!

Yeah, Chevy had loaned our (Viper) club president a new C6 a month back, and, while its got some cool gadgets (and I like gadgets), and runs very nice, it, alas, isn't a Viper. I really missed the low-end torque. I'd be interested in how the new Z06 feels, though.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I owned a brand new Z06 and traded it in for six year old Viper, I guess that says it all for me.. :)

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let me quote something I read sometime ago that says it all - "you always move up from a corvette to a viper, nobody has ever moved up from a viper to a corvette."

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I actually own a 2003 Z06. Before I bought the Vette, I was almost to the signing part of purchasing a 2k RT/10 in Steel Grey. The dea was awesome, and unfortunatley for me, the seller decided to pull out last minute (can't say I blame him though!). Anyways, I searched for a while, but couldn't find a deal as good for another Viper.
Anyways, a friend of mine had a 2k2 Z06 and told me to take it for a spin. After driving the Vette, I bought one a week later. Is it close to a Viper? Not at all-but it is still an awesome car.

With all that said, I am still looking for a Viper to take home. :D The Vette is a great car, and will always be. However, the Viper is just in a league of its own. I cannot wait until the day comes that I take delivery of a Viper!!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Even if they were the same performance wise, why buy a car that is 1 of 35,000? I'll take a Viper anyday for the exclusivity alone if nothing else. Example: According to the Viper registry in 1998 they made 436 Red GTS's like mine. So I'm betting at least a one quarter to one third are gone due to attrition. That means I'm driving a car that there is maybe 330 left of the exact same design in the world. Thats pretty cool.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<< Even if they were the same performance wise, why buy a car that is 1 of 35,000? I'll take a Viper anyday for the exclusivity alone if nothing else. Thats pretty cool. >>

There are many reasons I love my car, but that is numero uno with me also. I always get a kick out of the discussions about how our car is faster than that car, or how that car is going to be faster than ours by a tenth of a second, etc. I don't care. (Much). :D

In my opinion, we have one of the sickest looking, exclusive, not one of 35,000, vehicles on the road. And I prefer that. :headbang: :2tu:

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score

<< Even if they were the same performance wise, why buy a car that is 1 of 35,000? I'll take a Viper anyday for the exclusivity alone if nothing else. Thats pretty cool. >>

There are many reasons I love my car, but that is numero uno with me also. I always get a kick out of the discussions about how our car is faster than that car, or how that car is going to be faster than ours by a tenth of a second, etc. I don't care. (Much). :D

In my opinion, we have one of the sickest looking, exclusive, not one of 35,000, vehicles on the road. And I prefer that. :headbang: :2tu:

Couldn't have said it better myself!! :2tu:

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i own both a viper and a vette. i luv em both for different reasons. i wanna get the new ford GT and park it between my vette and my viper in my garage. chevy, dodge and ford.............its all good for me :usa:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I owned a brand new Z06 and traded it in for six year old Viper, I guess that says it all for me.. :)

Thats pretty common to happen too lol

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought a GTS new in 1999 and have 15,000 miles on it. I bought a Z06 new in 01 and have 35,000 miles on it.

The Vette has been a great car for my every day transportation - to and from work, errands etc. The Viper is more of a toy.

IMHO, different cars for different purposes.

Jim

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Z06 is basically like the Cobra...pay alot more to look almost identical to a car that is 15-20-25k cheaper...and you see at every stop light. But, then again, my daily drive is a Mustang GT ;)

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As a vette enthusiast for many years I test drove a 2004 Z06 for a buddy of mine. It's been a year since I traded in my 1999 C5 for my 2001 GTS.

Although the Vette is a nice car, very powerful and refined. I have to say it just is not as exciting as driving my Viper. The torque on the Viper is unmatched and makes it a blast to drive.

My buddy bought the vette today which is his first real sports car. I give him 12-24 months then I'll start egging him on to move up to a Viper. Time will tell! :cool:
Its only 405 hp. Test drive the 06 ZO6 later this year then report back to us!! It will be interesting.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We could have told you that! I want to hear first hand from a Viper owner how the new z06 is though. I saw some videos of them on the track and they were doing some impressive runs! With rumors of it starting at about $65k it will be a great seller :2tu:

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let me quote something I read sometime ago that says it all - "you always move up from a corvette to a viper, nobody has ever moved up from a viper to a corvette."

Not quite true. I went from the 96 RT/10 to the 04 C5 Vette Coupe. The Vette was the far better car in just about every way. But, like Ferrari, Viper has "something" so I sold the C5, and got my 03 Viper SRT-10.

I think it is going to be very, very close between the SRT-10 and the C6 Z06. The Z06 will have more electronics, heads up display, and no sill heat, or footwell heat. You can put the top down on the SRT.

Should be interesting.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<< chevy, dodge and ford.............its all good for me. >>

So true - I currently have another dodge, a 1968 ford mustang convertible that I am restoring, and used to have a corvette too. I hate to sound like Martha Stewart here, but any muscle car in my book - Its a good thing. :2tu:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<< chevy, dodge and ford.............its all good for me. >>

So true - I currently have another dodge, a 1968 ford mustang convertible that I am restoring, and used to have a corvette too. I hate to sound like Martha Stewart here, but any muscle car in my book - Its a good thing. :2tu:

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Big-n-italian...I restore classic mustangs...let me know if you ever need any hard to find parts or need an extra set of hands. I have 2x67's now and have owned a slew of them.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<< I restore classic mustangs...let me know if you ever need any hard to find parts or need an extra set of hands. I have 2x67's now and have owned a slew of them. >>

Cool, thanks for letting me know, I will make a note of that. This one is getting wrapped up and pretty much getting assembled at this poiunt, but I would like to do another in the near future.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gawd, the poser comments on this thread are making me puke. Dodge might as well have put a 4-cylinder in the car.

The best reason for buying a Vette is because it's a hell of a lot cheaper to track. But it aint as much fun.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It appears that they did put a four cylinder in THIS ONE!!

You must be registered for see images

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LOL BnI, that's gonna start trouble. But you couldn't be more wrong. The SRT outperforms our GTS in every performance category. My guess is Dodge won't be able to keep up with demand when the coupe comes out.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<< The SRT outperforms our GTS in every performance category. My guess is Dodge won't be able to keep up with demand when the coupe comes out. >>

I agree with you 100% chuck, I know that the SRT definately has a leg up performance wise on the older GTS's in MANY categories. But they each have their own unique pleasing qualitites don't they?

And I wasn't trying to offend anyone with that picture or "start trouble", only trying to add a bit of humor to your "4 cylinder" comment. :D That is a somewhat old picture that I remember seeing, and simply thought that it was an appropriate picture to share at the time.

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A vette is a Vette no matter how you put it. They **** and I would never own one plane and simple. MOPAR or NO car. Actually I think you should have to take a test and tell the difference between a E body and a B body inorder to buy a viper!!!! But that is me.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, this is a timely post.... I only figured this out about 3 years ago... Since the 2004 z06 is no different then the 2002 Z06 (available in 2001).

And we probably already have 20+ posts on this exact same subject..

How about we wait until the NEW z06 comes out, before we start another one of these z06 is no viper posts..

Hopefully If I am lucky, I will see another "Mustang Cobra is cheap to mod, but is no viper" .... *rolling eyes*

Jon

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hopefully If I am lucky, I will see another "Mustang Cobra is cheap to mod, but is no viper" .... *rolling eyes*

A $5 pulley and a chip and it will whoop up on Enzos all day long. :rolleyes:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images
Thats a good one. I wished it had Hondas reliability though!!!!Seriously though, start looking at the KILL sights in the corvette forum when the NEW zo6 rolls out soon. They will be talking smack just like we do..

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<< The SRT outperforms our GTS in every performance category. My guess is Dodge won't be able to keep up with demand when the coupe comes out. >>

Bet you're wrong.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bet you're wrong.

Perhaps. Might be a year away with the motor rumors flying around.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If they did increase the HP and torque, I would say I'm wrong. With no changes, they'll sit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness