Just got back from the track (I love my DLM car)

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I will be more careful after that pass with no cage.

Jason,

What is your feeling on et and mph if I could have stayed in it ?

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about all the other 9 second Vipers? I don't think anybody else has a parachute on their car? I know Sir Hiss has one but that's another story.
There aren't too many race cars that run on the street with ABS and air bags.

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Roof,JH,and others can chime in.

They probably race at less strict tracks. Maybe non NHRA(if there is such a thing).

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand they want it safe, but the same rules apply from 7.50-9.99. I don't agree at all.

This is one of my reasons for street racing.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These rules originated long ago before stock cars ran in the 11's. The only cars running 150MPH were all out drag cars. Now we have modded vipers, supras, and vettes there. I don't know if they are going to change the rules anytime soon but going 150+ MPH is one of my short term goals.

As far as JH, heffner, dlm, roof, and rsi goes, none of them have the necessary equipment to run at the speeds they do and be completely NHRA legal. This is the whole reason behind having a v-10 nationals series where we can run our cars without having all of the safety equipment necessary. I do think there needs to be some safety equipment necessary but the series is still in it infancy and it hasn't started requiring safety equipment. This also could be the reason the VCA hasn't stepped up and sponsered the events.

There is definitely an elite club to join, the nine second and 150+MPH club. I am close to both but no cigar here. I can't wait to see a nine second pass @ 150mph on drag radials or some other true every day street tire.

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These rules originated long ago before stock cars ran in the 11's. The only cars running 150MPH were all out drag cars. Now we have modded vipers, supras, and vettes there. I don't know if they are going to change the rules anytime soon but going 150+ MPH is one of my short term goals.

As far as JH, heffner, dlm, roof, and rsi goes, none of them have the necessary equipment to run at the speeds they do and be completely NHRA legal. This is the whole reason behind having a v-10 nationals series where we can run our cars without having all of the safety equipment necessary. I do think there needs to be some safety equipment necessary but the series is still in it infancy and it hasn't started requiring safety equipment. This also could be the reason the VCA hasn't stepped up and sponsered the events.

There is definitely an elite club to join, the nine second and 150+MPH club. I am close to both but no cigar here. I can't wait to see a nine second pass @ 150mph on drag radials or some other true every day street tire.
I agree because back then when they wrote the rules I'm sure the dragsters didn't have ABS and airbags :rolleyes:
Tom

Reaction score
Jeff -

Congrats on your partial run! We know there's plenty left there for sure! Although, I would like to see you have the proper safety equipment the next time out for your sake and the track officials. I'd venture to say, the next time you show at E-Town if you have at the least the bare minimum, they'll let you run. Parachutes seem to be the least expected necessity for tech inspection; fire suits, extinguishers, helmets, cages are strictly enforced.

Your car needs to go back to the alignment shop. We had it properly aligned for race day at BG but when it overpowered the suspension we changed the springs & ride height. I suppose the alignment specs went south from that point on.

We're building a very powerful "Street Strip" ride for AJT. We call it project: "Sleeper Charged." I'm looking forward to this one because AJT has allowed me the time and expense to exceed his expectations :) . With that in mind, we're not looking to build the ultimate race car. Our goal is to build a car that can run with the pro's and do it with stealth :2tu:

Please stay safe and have fun!

Doug

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks AJT

what is being done to yours ?

It started as a level I, then I kept thinking about those cream puff pistons so it grew from there. I let Doug have free rein on rebuilding the engine, & the complete system. Just make it fast & reliable.

That is one awesome car you have, it would have scared the sh_t out of me to come that close to the wall.

:cool:

Hey Doug, " Sleeper Charged", sounds good!

Andy

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you were scared on that run, I probably would have went into shock riding in that four wheel jet of yours. It is a jet isn't it, basically runs on the same principal (turbines, air, fuel, extreme boost and power). That is crazy fast. If JBE pulled on you hard that day I figure his bike could be a high 7 low 8. Its amazing you can pull that fast still on low profile drag radials. Great Job!

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John's bike makes over 300rwhp and weighs less than 300 pounds. It is absolutely sick. If he could keep it on the ground, it would probably go low 8's.

I'll take you for a ride at the beach Sunday...

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff:

You definitely would want to go with a custom shop to build you a cage. Think of all the troubles people have with the "off the shelf" roll bars. Those problems would be compounded heavily with a full cage. I really don't even think the cost would be significantly more. There are many very competent chassis guys out there and I think that is the only way to come out of a project like this without having completely hacked up your car while also ensuring that the cage will be NHRA certified (make sure that is part of any deal you do with a chassis shop) JMO

Phil

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on a very fast DLM car! Even if you do a 10 point cage do you think you could still certify your Viper with the independent rear? You still would have to do all kinds of other stuff.

-Lou

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to a race car builder this morning to go over options for a cage and to read the rule book again.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think fishtail is correct. YOu must have a solid rear axle, be licensed, and have an external fuel shutoff to run in the 9's. There are many other things you must have but I can't remember them all.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think fishtail is correct. YOu must have a solid rear axle, be licensed, and have an external fuel shutoff to run in the 9's. There are many other things you must have but I can't remember them all.
His car with a solid rear, auto tranny, and tubbed out will do 8s !!!!!
Mike :headbang:

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back. No full cage for me. Too much cutting into the dash.

I'll put the BTR bar in just for some addedd safety. I'll get kicked out of all the tracks on the east coast and then worrie about it.

And everyone wonders why we do it in the street ???

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy $hit - that's cookin'. Congrats on the 9 second run. Some tracks are more forgiving than others when it comes to full cages, chutes, etc. :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang