Just got straight pipes w/Roe high flow cats done

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished cutting out my stock cats and muffler and replacing them with Sean Roe's 2.5" high flow cats. What an improvement in sound! I haven't ever heard any other vipers with custom exhaust systems, so I don't have a whole lot to compare it to, but it is very loud and has a nice tone to it. It's pretty throaty, but not real deep sounding. From what I've read that deep sound is pretty hard to get from these engines. I talked with Sean about this setup and he said he had never tried straight pipes with only high flow cats. So, I decided to try it since it was a pretty cheap option. ($100 per cat, and about $40 in tubing & clamps from midas, and $20 to rent a sawzall) Whole thing installed in about 3 hours. I do notice a little more power. Tires seem to spin just a little easier in 2nd now. Sorry, no before/after dyno's! The drone is very prevalent in 1st gear, but seems to lessen after that. I can always find a gear with no drone at cruising speed. I LOVE the popping that happens when slowing down from high RPM's.

Thanks Sean for helping me out during my install.

Does anyone make chrome tips for the rt/10? The way I mounted this new setup, the pipes don't stick out at all from the side sills. I wanted to put tips on there that would stick out maybe 1/4" because the black pipes sticking out just looked horrible.

Also just installed my 5 point harness set that I got from MES. (3months old) They look great!

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
High flow cats, straight pipes and side exhaust, Ouch! Bet that's loud. Glad you like the harness. I also have a pair of used (cheap) 4" round and 6" round Dynomax mufflers 3" in and out, if you want to knock the volume down a bit. Unfortunately there is no way to completely get rid of the drone unless you get a Corsa, I know I've tried most of them. Enjoy your new sound, be careful with the cops
biggrin.gif

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK ! What is deep throaty sound ? What is TOO loud ?
And most of all, what is tolerable ? I love the rumble
and puffing that my stock exhaust gives but I really
get tired of the UPS truck drone at cruising speeds.
Is this kit a fit and weld type or plug & play ?

OP
OP
U

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have anyway to get a sound file yet, but if you wanted to email me and I'll give you my number and you could hear it on the phone. I don't know if it will sound right over the phone or not. If you're going with cats only, it's going to be loud. Mine is probably slightly louder than yours will be though because i have side pipes. It's incredible though. When it's in my driveway or garage idling the pictures on my wall in my room rattle! Several students complimented today that it was the loudest, nicest sounding car they've heard. My crappy chrysler radio is even more useless now though...

OP
OP
U

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert1994:
OK ! What is deep throaty sound ? What is TOO loud ?
And most of all, what is tolerable ? I love the rumble
and puffing that my stock exhaust gives but I really
get tired of the UPS truck drone at cruising speeds.
Is this kit a fit and weld type or plug & play ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine is too loud for most people

It's throaty, but not real deep. I like it though

Has all kinds of drone cruising around town accelerating and stuff.. not too bad once you're cruising at a constant speed

It requires using a sawzall to cut off old pipe, cutting some new pipe to correct size, using 8 band clamps to clamp everything together, (i also used high temp sealer around clamp joints to ensure no leaking) and making some sort of clamp near the rear to mount it to car frame since the old mount was welded on old pipe. Install side sill and proceed to piss all your neighbors off and set off roommates alarms everytime you pull out of driveway.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newport Viper...I love that also!

SOCRATES....let's meet this weekend so i can let you listen to it.

Robert1994....you should be fine with the set up since you have a 94,call Sean Roe, he'll help you, or I have a set of instructions i wrote out for the 93.

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on the cats and 3" exhaust with no mufflers. Have been running Cats w/o muffer for 2 years now. Nice and throaty with a roar when I get on it. The cops love the car. Not too loud and the side sills are cool to the touch. Snakeoyl built and installed the exhaust system.

Nice job too Cory at SnakeOyl.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad Asp:

It is real simple. All you need is a piece of 4"OD X 6" long chrome tube. Place it over the stock 3" outlet and tack it in two spots. You will have no real investment in material. You will want to line it up in the center AND parallel/perpendicular to the outlet. You can actually make the final cut/adjustment to align the pipe after it is in place. I tried extending it out both 3/4" and 1-1/2", I think the longer extension looks better.

If you want to see a photo, go to the VCA classifieds. I have a complete exhaust system for an RT10 for sale. It is posted with a pic. It isn't a fifteen minute job, because, you will have to remove the sills to tack them on and if you use a shop you will need the sills there to align the pipe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery