Just installed B&M short shifter-will return to center from the right,not left ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a buddy install a B&M short throw shifter into my car.

This came out of his car with 63k miles ... into my car with 23k miles.

In his car , the shifter returned to center no matter what ... in my car, it returns to center from the RIGHT (reverse and 6th, ect) but stays in place in neutral on the left (1st/2nd).

He was thinking the DETENT bolt was sticking from my car not being driven much in the past 6 years.

Does this sound right?

The fluid is NEWLY replaced Mopar stuff from the dealer, and it shifts GREAT ( no grinding or anything ).

I can live with this, but would like to figure out what is the issue if I can.

He also said it may have had the "anti venom" mod done to it , to smooth out the shifting. Does that sound like a possibility?

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Just installed B&M short shifter-will return to center from the right,not left --

Thanks bro ;) ---

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Just installed B&M short shifter-will return to center from the right,not left --

So I need stronger springs installed?

He also said something below the shift rail / forks may be bent a little bit?

I dont know how the springs could correct anything that is bent, or was it just a bandaid for the shifter to make up for something wrong in the transmission?

If the car had been in an accident could that bend something in the transmission, really rough crappy shifting , or hitting something in the road (major pothole, curb, debris, ect)?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So you're saying you always have to push it to the right, but it springs back to the left?

If it did not do this in his car when it was removed, and it does in yours, it sounds like it's not the shifter.

Did you replace (or at least not lose) the bushing on the end that goes into the tranny? Are you sure the shifter is not hitting anything underneath in the tunnel? It is tight down there esp with the taller shifter housing. You can pull the console and boot from inside to check it out or from underneath drop the crossmember down a tad (by removing the bolts) and see if it's any better.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I installed my B&M, it did self center; but, I did not like the "weakness" of the self-centering action coming from the 1-2 position. I did what MGW did for their customer described in the lsi forum link above. I put a stronger spring on the left side of the shifter to push it right like I wanted it to.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lets say I have it in neutral and centered. I push it to the right, and it springs back to the center. I push it to the left, and it stays at the left on its own.

Luckily the bushing wasnt loose, and it stayed in the tranny. We pulled the console and boot and thats how we installed the B&M Shifter.

Looks like springs will fix it, but seems to be a band-aid for something that is bent below, or inside the tranny.

Reaction score

on the shifters we produce we suggest this, to keep the bolts a touch loose, then run thru the gears to "center" the shifter, ours are adjustable so you can adjsut tension from side to side,
seems to help with the third gear miss issue in the rams.
but if you replace the bushing with a brass one, you shouldnt have any return problems?
you may want to replace the fluid in the trans
but my thinking is as of yours, there may be some internal issue sir

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Brass bushing doesnt sound like a bad idea.

The fluid has about 100 miles on it ... Mopar fluid changed from the Dealership ... THANKS :) ---