just installed my heads wont start :-(

jpuga87

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I installed my freshly rebuilt heads on today and she wont start. For a second there kinda sounded like it tried to turn over but nothing. Another thing im finidng odd is that its blowing air out of the intake ? Isnt it suppose to **** air in ?. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

John

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you getting spark? fuel? Hook up the coolant temp sensor (doubt that would stop it from starting)? Did you check push rod length?

OP
OP
J

jpuga87

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im gonna take the valve covers off tommorow to see what the deal is. But everything went together smoothly idk what the problem could be. Are the pushrods diffrent lengths ?

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Possibly lifters are pumped up. And valves are open. Usually as you rotate the engine over several times it will bleed the lifter down. Very common when not using new lifters or when the lifters are never removed.

Todd

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Assuming just a valve job, and no shaving was involved. Shaving would definitely require a new pushrod length. In addition, you should check the preload as depending on how they cut the seats, valve height may have changed. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
J

jpuga87

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeahh it was just a valve job stock valves stock lifters stock pushrods. I did spin the motor over for a solid 20 min with no sucess.
Assuming just a valve job, and no shaving was involved. Shaving would definitely require a new pushrod length. In addition, you should check the preload as depending on how they cut the seats, valve height may have changed. Hope this helps.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What year? Check your alarm. Reset battery then unlock car. If 98' or newer use your key to disable the alarm in the glovebox.

Also check EVERY connector, the ones all over the intake and box.

OP
OP
J

jpuga87

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just popped the valve covers off I bent the exhaust valves and pushrods again :'( im about ready to set fire to this thing fml
You must be registered for see images

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just popped the valve covers off I bent the exhaust valves and pushrods again :'( im about ready to set fire to this thing fml

Damn ! Well, I guess that it is back to square one and find and fix whatever caused the damage the first time before you bought it, and then again this time. You verified that the pistons were not damaged when you pulled the damaged heads the first time? All exhaust valves are bent? Stock rockers? Some of the more knowlegeable members here will have to chime in on what could be wrong on a non-running Viper engine that could lead to bend exhaust valves.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Were they bent the first time before you sent the heads out? I take it you had bent the valves before. It sounds like your cam is off. Did you swap the cam at some point? Maybe the chain got slack and jumped somehow. What lead to you getting the heads done to begin with?

OP
OP
J

jpuga87

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the car not running all of the exhaust valves where bent so im guessing the chain jumped a tooth.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take timing cover off and look at timing!!! I would not stick another rebuilt head on that thing until you straighten away your issue!!! Obviously....

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I would check the cam timing and then put it back together with T&D's or HS rockers. Make sure you measure the push rod length. When you pull the heads you can also cc the chamber to see if the heads were milled. There is also a casting mark where the depth can indicate if the heads were cut.

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I would check the cam timing and then put it back together with T&D's or HS rockers. Make sure you measure the push rod length. When you pull the heads you can also cc the chamber to see if the heads were milled. There is also a casting mark where the depth can indicate if the heads were cut.

Is the Viper engine an "interference engine" in stock form ? i.e., I didn't realize that there were american V8/V10 stock configurations where the valves opened far enough to hit a piston if timing was lost. I don't really get into pushrod engines that far though, usually. If the valves were bent by impacting the pistons, what is the likelihood that the pistons or other bottom end stuff are compromised?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, the Viper is an interference engine.

For what its worth, you need to have this engine disassembled and inspected by someone who knows EXACTLY what they are looking at. It sounds like your camshaft is out of time. They do not skip teeth- they break dowels. The question is, WHY did it do that if that is what happened. You may be into damaged cam journal territory, and a locked up or broken camshaft. DO NOT get a non-viper machine shop involved with an issue like this unless you want a headache that never stops. Every single part in the engine should be checked after a failure like this in order to prevent a re-occurrence or a secondary failure resulting from damage inflicted by the first failure.

If you want the problem solved without question marks, we can ship you a crate and have it picked up, and shipped back when done.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be very wary of any metal that might make its way through the engine. If the oil pump gets damaged or the cover especially (it is only aluminum) then you risk poor engine oiling. Even if you fix the other problems you could be setting yourself up for future problems.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang