k&N installed, disappointing outcome..

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, kind of. I got my RT cats installed yesterday, picked up the car from the dealer after work, and drove it home. Everything was ok. Got home and installed my K&N intake system right away. Took the car out for a drive to see if I can tell a difference.

Well, I sure did tell the difference because the car DEFINITELY FELT slower. Sotp was not as strong as the stock system. Now, here is the funny thing. I kept on getting on the car and driving it like i stole it for 20 mins, over and over again, and it seemed like by the end of all the runs, the car started to come alive again. I was going to take it out today and do the same but it is snowing, so the car is sleeping..:)

Is this normal? I am assuming this is due to the computer re-learning and adjusting, right? I am hoping that by taking it out a few more times and driving it hard, the car will feel stronger than the original set up did. I will dyno it soon and find out anyway.

Also, the air temp sensor was a pain in the butt to put in the new intake tube. I might have hit it here and there, but nothing severe. Could that be one of the reasons why the car felt slow initially? Do you think there is a need to replace it now?

Thanks in advance

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would certainly agree that the computer has some learning to do but the results will be minimal. I don;t think you will notice that much of a difference. It will be interesting to see the dyno results but don;t get your hopes up.............

Patrick

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did what most of the sucessfull Viper racings teams did and just went with the green filters. Woodhouse feels there is nothing better than the green. Might what to try them also?

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to get the K&N kit as well, but fellow members on this board said it wasnt worth the money. I talked to Roe Raceing and they said the same thing as well. I probably talked to a sales man quote:(I will be more than happy to sell you the K&N kit, But what if I can offer you a better filter for less money. Roe tested the K&N's and S&B's on the dyno, and the results were so minimal he said it wasnt worth it. S&B's look identical to the K&n's and I cant be more happier, plus I saved over 100 dollars for other mods

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, the air temp sensor was a pain in the butt to put in the new intake tube. I might have hit it here and there, but nothing severe. Could that be one of the reasons why the car felt slow initially? Do you think there is a need to replace it now?

I have heard of others that damaged the inlet temp sensor when installing K&N's (probably during the removal). Not sure of the effect but you should be able to see the code.

BTW, not sure if you now but most Vipers around here are hibernating. Do you have the version with chains or studded tires?

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, not sure if you now but most Vipers around here are hibernating. Do you have the version with chains or studded tires?

I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at here. I've seen a lot of nice sports cars driving around Michigan on nice days lately, from Z06es to Vipers to Ferrari Testarossas. I think it's awesome that some people aren't afraid to get out and enjoy their cars.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at here. I've seen a lot of nice sports cars driving around Michigan on nice days lately, from Z06es to Vipers to Ferrari Testarossas. I think it's awesome that some people aren't afraid to get out and enjoy their cars.

I definitely agree with Andy. I did not buy my Viper to look at it. Rather, I bought it to drive it. If there is no snow on the ground, the Viper is on the road being driven.

Anyway, no, there is no code showing at all. So, I am assuming nothing is damaged in regards to the air temp sensor.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I will try to be nicer (so you two don't try to gang up on me like you did Austin on the other site :) ).

I have no idea whatsoever how a Viper performs at 10 to 15 degrees on a night with a winter storm warning. And I hope to never have to find out. You can call it being afraid but I respect my car too much to do that to it. Sorry if that busts your balls but I only drive my car when the weather is nice enough to enjoy driving it.

Fadi - do you have a DRB or code reader. If not how do you know if you have an imbedded code?

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No ones balls are busted (except when my wife is around), Ron. I was just explaining that I drive my car when there is no snow on the ground, thats all. Yesterday during the day, it was sunny, so I took the car out. Today was horrible, so the car stayed in.;)

Anyway, I don't have a code reader, and I did not know that I had to have one in order to read a code. I thought I would just look at the DIC, where it dispalys "Door Ajar", "Lo Tire", or "Doors Unlocked" and see if there are codes revealed. There wasn't any there, so I thought everything was ok. I take it I am looking at the wrong place for codes? If so, how would I ever know if my car is throwing a code? How do I know if my air temp sensor is damaged or not, and where do I look to see?

Thanks

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First the car will only tell you if you have a fault code that trips the MIL (malfunction indicator light). That happens if the fault is one considered to be compliance related. Plus several types of faults have to repeat over several start run cycles, some even with over 8 hour soaks. The primary faults for the temp sensor are out of range (like an open circuit) and a comparison of several temp sensors at ambient temp or initial start-up temperature. Given the cool temperature last night (the reason I referenced the temp) I am not sure that test would have been conducted. As such you may have a fault that has not yet illuminated the MIL. But if something is wrong it may do so in the near future.

The easiest way to get a fault code check is at a local parts store. Many keep a code reader so they can check codes and sell replacement parts. A check is very quick - that just plugs into the OBD port (near your left shin when you drive) and reads the codes.

Did you disconnect the battery when you did the install (the K&N instructions say to do that)? If so that could play a part in part throttle responsiveness.

When/where did you buy the K&N? Early parts were defective for idle and make-up air ports, which reportedly could impact WOT performance. I had one of them and did notice some performance effects (though the pcv valve whistling was much more noticeable). I believe this has been fixed for more than a year, but if the filter kit was on a storage shelf for a while it could be old.

I don't have any other ideas. The K&N should have a slightly improved throttle response and maybe 5 hp. Unless you have a calibrated ass you cannot feel 5 hp so it should be unnoticeable.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron, I got the K&N from Jon at partrack. I ordered it about 1 week ago. The instructions never said anything in regards to disconnecting a battery, at all.

I am going to take your advice and go to a dealer and have them do a code check for me. If the air temp is damaged, would that show right away on their device?

btw, when putting my ear next to the intake, it seems like it is sucking a lot more air in just by ear.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon indicated the ones he is selling are the newer, corrected versions. So that should not be an issue.

The instructions used to say disconnect the battery. Never knew why, and of course I never did.

Dealers may charge (unless you have a good relationship with them). Autozone is the one that I have used in the past when I needed a quick check.

The rushing air sound you hear is normal with a K&N. Not more airflow, especially at idle, but more noticeable. Plus the resonator is no longer there to buffer the intake waves.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon indicated the ones he is selling are the newer, corrected versions. So that should not be an issue.

The instructions used to say disconnect the battery. Never knew why, and of course I never did.

Dealers may charge (unless you have a good relationship with them). Autozone is the one that I have used in the past when I needed a quick check.

The rushing air sound you hear is normal with a K&N. Not more airflow, especially at idle, but more noticeable. Plus the resonator is no longer there to buffer the intake waves.

Right. If the air temp sensor is bad, will it show right away on the code checking device?

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right. If the air temp sensor is bad, will it show right away on the code checking device?
Fadi,I believe it will show up on the OBDII code check,but would be surprised if it's damaged.BTW,what exhaust are you running behind the RT cats,and how's the sound now?

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi,I believe it will show up on the OBDII code check,but would be surprised if it's damaged.BTW,what exhaust are you running behind the RT cats,and how's the sound now?

Hello Bill.

I am running the stock exhaust with the RT cats. Sounds little better with more growl, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I am assuming that an OBDII is the device they use to check for the code?? Sorry, not too good with this kind of stuff.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, kind of. I got my RT cats installed yesterday, picked up the car from the dealer after work, and drove it home. Everything was ok. Got home and installed my K&N intake system right away. Took the car out for a drive to see if I can tell a difference.

Well, I sure did tell the difference because the car DEFINITELY FELT slower. Sotp was not as strong as the stock system. Now, here is the funny thing. I kept on getting on the car and driving it like i stole it for 20 mins, over and over again, and it seemed like by the end of all the runs, the car started to come alive again. I was going to take it out today and do the same but it is snowing, so the car is sleeping..:)

Is this normal? I am assuming this is due to the computer re-learning and adjusting, right? I am hoping that by taking it out a few more times and driving it hard, the car will feel stronger than the original set up did. I will dyno it soon and find out anyway.

Thanks in advance

Told you... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You had a previous post asking about the power gains you should expect with K&N, RT cats, etc. And I posted that the K&N's won't do any good in your SRT-10. I remember couple other people saying the same thing but what the hell do we know?

Enjoy your new mods and check the sensor on the K&N.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks in advance

Told you... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You had a previous post asking about the power gains you should expect with K&N, RT cats, etc. And I posted that the K&N's won't do any good in your SRT-10. I remember couple other people saying the same thing but what the hell do we know?

Enjoy your new mods and check the sensor on the K&N.

And there were also people that said they have gained 10-15 rwhp, but what the heck do they know?.. :rolleyes:

I will check the sensor..:)