Keep the 03, or upgrade, or wait next gen opinions

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey DMan,

My first viper was a 05 SRT-10 Copperhead Edition. I traded it in last year for a 2008 coupe. Both are (were) bone stock and here's my two cents of what I noticed:

The Gen 3 viper has more low end grunt below 3K RPM. The Gen4 clearly has more power when you near 4K RPM and beyond. The biggest difference I noticed between the Gen 3 and Gen 4 was the transmission. The Gen 4 has such an improved shift feel and it moves around much less when making shifts in the higher RPMs. This makes the 2nd to 3rd gear high RPM shifts much easier and less prone to missing on the Gen4. I have no regrets making the switch but I do miss the roadster option. Nothing like cruising with the top down. Just like the looks of the coupe better.

I also have a 01 GTS ACR which I will never sell and is my favorite of all the Vipers I've driven. It's nowhere as fast as my 08 but I don't care. There's just something about the Gen 2s.

-Bruce

Just to let you know woodhouse tranny and shifter mounts and new shifter will completely get rid of the missing shifts and the shifter moving around and even more traction and less wheelspin.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to let you know woodhouse tranny and shifter mounts and new shifter will completely get rid of the missing shifts and the shifter moving around and even more traction and less wheelspin.
Yep, both of which I have, engine & trans mounts and shifter, my trans is like butter ... if I miss a shift I should have my keys taken away. lol

Really interesting discussion guys. As for the track point, yes, like 2 times a year. The limit is only cause I do track days on my Buell & R1, and supermoto days on my KTM, and some track days planned for my GT500 ... so track time is spread around a bit across 2 and 4 wheeled toys.

I got real close to a paxton a few yrs, ago, like real close. I've done numerous charger installs on stangs & would feel comfy with a DIY on this, but didn't due to the fact that my car was running so strong NA, I just felt I should be happy as is, and rode out my drivetrain warranty (now expired). But I do have an eye on the TVS effort, if that came to be, all bets might be off.

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had an 03 with a Paxton (and 3.55, flywheel, oil pan, DC tune, roll bar, etc.) and now I have an 08 coupe. I really miss the the extra "seat of the pants" power of the supercharger. When the 03 hit 3000 rpms....look out. If you like the vert, I would suggest you put on a Paxton and wait for the Gen 5.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might not say that if you had owned and driven both. Different engine, transmission, shifter, clutch, rear end, exhaust, hood, tires and more. Like night and day....

Bill

I should have been a little more clear. I would stay with the 3 if I was a casual Viper owner, enjoying it the way it is and being a car that is already bought and paid for. The cars look the same for that type of owner. If I was a performance oriented owner and that was my basis for the car I drove then I would go with the upgrade to a Gen 4, obviously the better performing car of the Gens. Sorry for the confusion.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dman , if I were you keep the Gen III and throw 3.73 or 4.10 gears in with a Unitrax speedo calibration box like I did . I driven all kinds of fast cars including the Gen IV and couldn't justify throw in an extra 25K to trade up now.
The only thing I really like is the tranny improvement on the Gen IV , but the car is too smooth with the variable cam for me :lmao:.

Torque to the wheels are multiplied by gear change.
The Gen II has 490 lbs Torque X 34 % with gear change to 4.10 = theoretical 656 lbs torque that can be felt immediately.I'm going to take my car on a dyno this year to see what are the actual numbers.

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its all about power to weight...ive just got 40 rwhp over the stock 440 rwhp with just mild bolt ons and tune..ive got 100 pounds less weight than a stock 3380 pound vert thanks to lightened parts here and their..

ive had fun against 600 awhp gtrs and held my own or won...ive had fun with 500 rwhp z06s and held my own right by them..recently i did incredibly well against a 570 hp superleggera lamborguini...the car runs high 10s to low 11s at 129 through 134 mph in the mags...

honestly just 500 rwhp on a gen 3 at 3250 pounds is very achievable withh bolt ons and a lil weight reduction and will run incredibly

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its all about power to weight...ive just got 40 rwhp over the stock 440 rwhp with just mild bolt ons and tune..ive got 100 pounds less weight than a stock 3380 pound vert thanks to lightened parts here and their..

ive had fun against 600 awhp gtrs and held my own or won...ive had fun with 500 rwhp z06s and held my own right by them..recently i did incredibly well against a 570 hp superleggera lamborguini...the car runs high 10s to low 11s at 129 through 134 mph in the mags...

honestly just 500 rwhp on a gen 3 at 3250 pounds is very achievable withh bolt ons and a lil weight reduction and will run incredibly

Yes, but you're talking for mods that can be done to Gen4 also, and with minimal cost too.

There is no advantage over the Gen4. It is only the FI option which makes the difference.

Just my 2 cents. :2tu:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd love to have the HP/ton ratio [ even better, the HP/CU ,3.0 L V-6;)] of my buddy's Noble M400 . The car has 425 HP in stock setting on a 2340 lbs platform. He just got the ECU reprogramed to get more turbo boost that should easily put it over 450 HP .Car has been dynoed @ 390 RWHP .

You must be registered for see images