Kool Vue Muffler

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your looking for cheap, all youve got to do do is cut out the rear muffler and replace with straightpipes. The stock cat&resonator in the sidesills provides adequite sound dampening.

Start with that.

What is your current setup? All stock?

This thing that you found on Ebay, Where will it go? It has one hole in and 2 out. Were you planning on buying 2 and having a quad exit:dunno:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if your looking for cheap, all youve got to do do is cut out the rear muffler and replace with straightpipes. The stock cat&resonator in the sidesills provides adequite sound dampening.

Start with that.

What is your current setup? All stock?

This thing that you found on Ebay, Where will it go? It has one hole in and 2 out. Were you planning on buying 2 and having a quad exit:dunno:

How much louder would this make the Viper?

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what it looks like:
Viper 2¼"ID Rear Sub Exhuast Assembly :: 2¼"ID Exhaust Systems :: Exhaust :: Engine & Exhaust :: Snake-Oyl Products :: Dodge Viper Products, Parts, Accessories
this is the entire reardelete option available to purchase.

or you can just take her up to an exhaust shop and have em cut out the muffler and replace with pipe for about an hour of labor and the cost of the pipe:2tu: this option keeps your stock tips.

I believe the Snake Oyle set up would be best. Those straight pipes look nice and no loss of hp. How do the straight pipes sound?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That ebay ad your talking about is complete nonsense. Not only will that muffler not fit all years, it won't fit ANY Viper. The only "Kool Vue" will be the hole in your wallet.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really liked how my Gen I sounded with Borla's. Does the rear muffler delete on Gen II's sound anything like the old RT/10's?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when i was basically stock, i did HF's and rear muffler delete with an x-pipe it was louder but far from loud. wouldnt get you in trouble with cops. less drone.

no HP gain and i did a comparison on same dyno. (not same day)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

Is the muffler delete considerably louder on your 98? Any problems getting pulled over by the cops? Did you gain any horse power?

It is louder but not loud by any means at all. You will not get stopped for too loud of exhaust. It gives a nice rumble on decelaration. I waited a year or two before doing it and I wish I would have done it first thing. I highly recommend it for all GenII if you are after a little more sound but don't want the loudness of a complete aftermarket system.

Folks have claimed about an 8-10 hp increase. My smooth-tube, K&N stocker dyno'd at 426 with muffler deleted.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a good custom exhaust guy that can bend the pipes. Do you use stainless steel? What size are my original exhaust pipes on a 2000 GTS?

thanks to all for the suggestions.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when i was basically stock, i did HF's and rear muffler delete with an x-pipe it was louder but far from loud. wouldnt get you in trouble with cops. less drone.

no HP gain ....

this is my current setup and just like plum said re: sound,

for me makes driving the car much more enjoyable

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's mine with no rear muffler.....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTaTY-n0A9g[/media]

...and then some, lol.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That ebay ad your talking about is complete nonsense. Not only will that muffler not fit all years, it won't fit ANY Viper. The only "Kool Vue" will be the hole in your wallet.

Bruce, dont take it personal, but everytime i look at this thread i :lmao:

Everyone has to start somewhere... Good thing your consulting the VCA on this one. Searching specifically the RT/10 and GTS Discussions section with keyword exhaust will yield days of reading.
I suggest taking her to a couple exhaust shops to get an estimate comparison for the custom job. First Call around and ask them if they keep 409SS in stock. Many shops only carry aluminized steel which is crap.
here is a site that explains the diff: Pypes Performance Exhaust - Home Page

Goodluck with your exhaust setup, the viper is Much more enjoyable to drive once un-neutered:2tu:

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prior to this string of messages I was not aware of a straight pipe option. I'm doing muffler delete this Friday morning. I'm actually excited about it, go figure.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The muffler delete job is finished and it sounds great. I only have one concern, it appears the area where the pipes ends exit is quite hot even though the pipes do not touch the plastic. It's actually too hot to touch. I was a little concerned the plastic may melt. Any ideas?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you use the stock tips they are double walled and the outside doesn't get as hot as the inside part. Aftermarket tips are sometimes double walled

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the stock tips, there is about 1/2 inch between the top of the tip and plastic. I'll keep an eye on it and place an insulator between the tip and plastic if it becomes a problem.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Funny.. I did the opposite, replaced the cats and resonator with straight pipes. It's not for everyone, but I like the decel popping and sound.. and the sills run mucho cooler..

Here's a vid with sound from a while back..

http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/exhaust_08_06_2007_video.wmv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi