KUMHO XS's the real world story! ETC...

Reaction score
Well gentlemen I just wanted to share some notes from my 488 mile day with the new XS's. I headed out this morning and drove south to warmer weather not only to break in my new Viper, but get a good feel for these new tires in good weather conditions. I had a chance to feel the great ride on the interstate that these new tires provide. Although I have the Clubsport shocks the ride was wonderful and quiet (although everything was quiet under the roar of the headers and Corsa :lmao:)

I left the house with 29 psi cold pressures and when I arrived at my first play destination they were 33. I did some autocross type driving in 2 big lots one concrete and one asphalt. The grip and response of the tire is amazing considering this is a real streetable track tire not just stamped with a DOT number ;). On both surfaces the tire exhibited the same reliable break away characteristics. There was decidedly more grip on the concrete although that is to be expected. These tires will be great choices for those of you a little scared of the dreaded snake bite.

In the faster stuff I found along the way (on and off ramps of all sizes and cambers) I can tell you this tire ROCKS :headbang:. The same awesome predictability in the break away helps you feel the approaching edge of grip and you can make an adjustment "before" you are trying to "save the day". I had a few, OK a lot of chances to probe the limits on the ramps at should I say speeds with more than 2 numbers in them and felt completely comfortable at the limits. Recovery is great when you do push past the max also, unlike a lot of really sticky tires :rolleyes:. This is one of KUMHOs best features over other tire manufacturers IMHO.

I just wanted to add again that this tire is HUGE on the rim and I could also get it to rub the outside lip in the rear over rolling bumps and even during hard cornering acceleration. My car is not as low as some of yours so if you buy these get ready to make an adjustment :rolaugh:. Although they made contact there is no sign of it and the noise is worse than it really is. The power on grip with my set up is amazing... I have a 3.73 and the Quaife diff and this thing just plain PLANTS! I don't care if you are pointed straight or blasting around a corner exit it is just awesome!!!!.

Well I just thought you guys/gals would like to hear this from the "horses?" mouth as a real world user. There is a little tread squirm but they were brand new and this was really their first heat cycle so I would be willing to bet they will get even better now after they sit a couple days.

If you have any questions about them I have not addressed or want info on my set up I would be more than happy as always to take your calls, Emails, or Pm's about them. If you want to order a set through me also, GREAT I can do that too. I hope this was helpful and thanks again for all "your" support and information, it is nice to be able to give back REAL WORLD testing and sharing with you all.

Take care and BE SAFE,

Mark

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well gentlemen I just wanted to share some notes from my 488 mile day with the new XS's. I headed out this morning and drove south to warmer weather not only to break in my new Viper, but get a good feel for these new tires in good weather conditions. I had a chance to feel the great ride on the interstate that these new tires provide. Although I have the Clubsport shocks the ride was wonderful and quiet (although everything was quiet under the roar of the headers and Corsa :lmao:)

I left the house with 29 psi cold pressures and when I arrived at my first play destination they were 33. I did some autocross type driving in 2 big lots one concrete and one asphalt. The grip and response of the tire is amazing considering this is a real streetable track tire not just stamped with a DOT number ;). On both surfaces the tire exhibited the same reliable break away characteristics. There was decidedly more grip on the concrete although that is to be expected. These tires will be great choices for those of you a little scared of the dreaded snake bite.

In the faster stuff I found along the way (on and off ramps of all sizes and cambers) I can tell you this tire ROCKS :headbang:. The same awesome predictability in the break away helps you feel the approaching edge of grip and you can make an adjustment "before" you are trying to "save the day". I had a few, OK a lot of chances to probe the limits on the ramps at should I say speeds with more than 2 numbers in them and felt completely comfortable at the limits. Recovery is great when you do push past the max also, unlike a lot of really sticky tires :rolleyes:. This is one of KUMHOs best features over other tire manufacturers IMHO.

I just wanted to add again that this tire is HUGE on the rim and I could also get it to rub the outside lip in the rear over rolling bumps and even during hard cornering acceleration. My car is not as low as some of yours so if you buy these get ready to make an adjustment :rolaugh:. Although they made contact there is no sign of it and the noise is worse than it really is. The power on grip with my set up is amazing... I have a 3.73 and the Quaife diff and this thing just plain PLANTS! I don't care if you are pointed straight or blasting around a corner exit it is just awesome!!!!.

Well I just thought you guys/gals would like to hear this from the "horses?" mouth as a real world user. There is a little tread squirm but they were brand new and this was really their first heat cycle so I would be willing to bet they will get even better now after they sit a couple days.

If you have any questions about them I have not addressed or want info on my set up I would be more than happy as always to take your calls, Emails, or Pm's about them. If you want to order a set through me also, GREAT I can do that too. I hope this was helpful and thanks again for all "your" support and information, it is nice to be able to give back REAL WORLD testing and sharing with you all.

Take care and BE SAFE,

Mark

Thanks for the extensive feedback. Sounds like the Kumhos are a great compromise for someone who needs a tire to "do it all" on and off the track.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just ***** about the fitment. Even if it's a little like you say I don't want the tire rubbing at all. Why do they make them stick out more? When will they have 19's for the front? What sizes do they have as of now?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up, I am hoping these are my next set of tires for the track!

Mark, can you give us the sizes you have, maybe I missed it..?

I saw they only come in 17's and 19's right?

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the street, how do they compare to the PS2's for straight line acceleration traction?

Mark, what's your take on them compared to PS2s and PSCs? I really need a stickier rear tire, you think there will be a noticable difference on a Gen3 Paxton 3.55 gear car? You mention some rubbing in the rear, what about the fronts in stock sizing?

Also, are your wheels the same size/offset as the stock Gen3 5-spokes? Any change to get aq good clear pic from behind the car?

Thanks

John

Last edited:

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ordered a set from JonB! :D Said they have better traction off the line then the PS2's and for a lot less. May go through them quicker, but that's OK as long as I can hook up better. Paxton & 3.55's are a handful launching with the run-craps unless it's really hot out.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just ordered a set from JonB! :D Said they have better traction off the line then the PS2's and for a lot less. May go through them quicker, but that's OK as long as I can hook up better. Paxton & 3.55's are a handful launching with the run-craps unless it's really hot out......

Thanks mj for the real-world hard-driver test.....its one thing to read the stats, or drive em on a Vette....another to WRING em out a bit on a set-up, lowered Viper.

Thanks Billy......we have now sold 6-7 VIPER sets, SRT 18-19 OE sizes; and 92-98 17" oe sizes; Sorry, ...there is NOT an 18-18 option just now.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like to thanks JonB for very fast shipping got em like the very next day! But, I have one confusing idea.... I dunno if its just me but inorder to keep all tires going the same directional.. one side is backwards vs the other side. I'm sure this is normal but you think they make em all go the same direction.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wish I had confidence in having a job next week. If so my order would already be there.

OP
OP
mjorgensen Woodhouse
Reaction score
I like to thanks JonB for very fast shipping got em like the very next day! But, I have one confusing idea.... I dunno if its just me but in order to keep all tires going the same directional.. one side is backwards vs the other side. I'm sure this is normal but you think they make em all go the same direction.

Since this is a summer only extreme tire the need to optimize wet channeling was not a big thing but the ability to rotate them was. The carcass was designed to be predictable and the need to be truly directional would have only cost the consumer more by not allowing this rotation possibility. With the tread the way it is if you look close with a little wear there is not really any channeling ability after the first few hundred miles. :D

OP
OP
mjorgensen Woodhouse
Reaction score
KUMHO XS or PS-C. What tire is better? The KUMHO is much heavier.

The PS-C will have a little more limit grip because it is a "track" tire not a street/track tire like the XS. If you have a dedicated track wheel set up then the PS-C would be better. The XS does not give up much though and is more durable for regular driving also.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ordered a set from JonB! :D Said they have better traction off the line then the PS2's and for a lot less. May go through them quicker, but that's OK as long as I can hook up better. Paxton & 3.55's are a handful launching with the run-craps unless it's really hot out.

Hey Billy, If your drag racing your viper look at the new MT drag radial. This tire has great traction. I don't even burn out running 3:73. this tire rocks at launch. 18psi. :2tu:

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Billy, If your drag racing your viper look at the new MT drag radial. This tire has great traction. I don't even burn out running 3:73. this tire rocks at launch. 18psi. :2tu:

Canyon,

I saw your car at Infineon a couple of days ago, looked too good, I walked past it with my 4 yr old and 6 year old after you parked in line after your first pass, how did you do?

TCurtner

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Take care and BE SAFE,

Mark

However, they're only 'W' rated to 168, correct?

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got mine today.....JonB rocks! Ordered them yesterday and they showed up today! How does he do that?

The tread is pretty aggressive looking, I can't wait to try them out!

I will get them mounted up tomorrow and post some pics later on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21