Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the "typical" labor cost involved in the installation
of 3.55 gears?
Thanks

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor, Joe. Buy the entire 3.55 Mopar Performance differential (NEW). If you shop around hard enough, you can probably find one for $1,100 - $1,300 --> This is new. Then keep, or sell your 3.07 Diff. I've seen the stock diffs. sell from $300 - $900, depending on mileage - etc...

To swap the units should only take a pro 2 hours or so, if that. OF course, you will need the speedo calibration box to make sure your speed is accurate. Tack on another $100. And your mechanic may recommend new straps/bolts for the universal joints/axels. Another $30-$40. Bottom line: you're only going to spend a few more hundred this way, and still have the original differential. If you decide to sell it, it will cost you less than modifying your original unit.

My .02

OP
OP
V

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Trying to get a feel for the gear install time / labor charge and debating over the Mopar 3.55's or the Unitrax set which is about twice the price.
Thanks

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid $300 for installation and $225(est) for the mopar 355 gears.
I have had no problems for years.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 3.55 differential with the speedo calibration box for sale. I am asking $ 800. It has about 2000 miles on it, no problems, no whining. It is currently on my Viper, so it is possible to test drive it. (No need to buy a "pig in a bag"...)
Only reason for selling it and going back to 3.07 gears is my twin tank NX Express system. 3.55 gears will be simply too much for this. The 3.55 gears will definately give you a difference the way car accelerates at low gears and gives nice drivability in town, 6th gear becomes usable too. Currently the gears have no miles with nitrous, since it is not installed yet.

PM me if interrested.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Classifieds are a pain in the ****...
I tried once and it is not for computer illiterate people, just like posting pictures.
Maybe one day I'll learn how to do both???

I'll rather stay in the garage and play with the Viper!

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does jonB sell the calibration box for? My Viper tech also told me to buy JonB's bearing kit which include the outer bearing for the output shafts that wear so quickly. I've got 37,*** smiles on my car, and this is supposed to be a problem.
Any thoughts/ideas?
My viper tech wants $600 labor plus the above parts (if the diff is in the car). Its cheaper if I bring in just the diff.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I quess it did not work.

The buyer did not even show up to see it...
So the Rear diff. is still in classifieds and is for sale.
Thanks, Lauri