LACK OF VCA PARTICIPATION AT SEBRING LAST WEEK!

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The weather was great, the Viper Competition Coupes were there in full force, and GM factory competition with their Caddie's as well as Champion Audi's R8's and a big field of privateers, all ready for the kick off of the World Challenge GT season. The only thing missing was Viper Club members! I thank the ones who did come to Sebring and their show of support for the efforts put forth by 10 Viper Comp. Coupe teams, including Three R's Racing team with their two Comp. Coupes and leMans Oreca driver and winner, Tommy Archer . Where were the Viper Club members that should have been there to support this effort? I am personally dissapointed in the lack of interest in Sebring and the World Challenge GT race by our VCA members. We needed your support, not your lip service. It will be a long time until an event like this is available again, I am just sorry for your lack of interest in our Comp. Coupe teams.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary....I applaud you for speaking out. In our area everyone only wants to do Chrysler's at Carlisle. Participation in all other aspects is non existent, unless we bribe them with food. I'd almost give anything to live in Florida and be able to enjoy Viper Events & Viper Driving.

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The weather was great, the Viper Competition Coupes were there in full force, and GM factory competition with their Caddie's as well as Champion Audi's R8's and a big field of privateers, all ready for the kick off of the World Challenge GT season. The only thing missing was Viper Club members! I thank the ones who did come to Sebring and their show of support for the efforts put forth by 10 Viper Comp. Coupe teams, including Three R's Racing team with their two Comp. Coupes and leMans Oreca driver and winner, Tommy Archer . Where were the Viper Club members that should have been there to support this effort? I am personally dissapointed in the lack of interest in Sebring and the World Challenge GT race by our VCA members. We needed your support, not your lip service. It will be a long time until an event like this is available again, I am just sorry for your lack of interest in our Comp. Coupe teams.

Gary

That is funny you say something like that! The V-10 Nationals was inyour backyard and you gave no support. alot of promises that you never followed up on! we had over 80 Vipers at the event which most of are VCA members and the VCA did not show up???

I think you kinda got it backwards, the VCA should support what the members want and not what they want the members to want!

Jay Herbert is great with this board and allows us great coverage but we need the Presidents like yourself to support the members! DRAG RACING!!!

V10Nationals.com

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This should be a wake up call for you!

Our members are tired of events that don’t involve driving our cars! Getting together every few weeks and eat is a good practice for a food club not an auto club. I am sure you noticed that even the most “loyal” members have stop coming to those “let’s eat and go home” meetings. I think in general our members are ignoring the club altogether!

By the way, the only event organized and scheduled by the Central Florida VCA is the Luncheon at Gleason’s Grille, Winter Park, FL. I wonder why is our club saving the $12,000.00 + in the bank for?

No harm intended, just a couple of observations.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,sad to hear more VCA members couldn't show.It is flu season!From the sound of that event most of the VCA(road racers)would have been there.Must have been outbreak of legitimate excuses.
On the other hand,how does it feel to be B-slapped by the quickest supercharged(nonnitrous)viper owner in the world!ohhh.
The Illinois VCA officers give equal attention, and show up to race in all drag events,even my non-vca sponsored annual TOOFAST & FURIOUS shootout!
Ya'll just need a hug.

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with both of you, Roof and Gary, where is our VCA?

Collect the money, have a great time at the VOI8 but other than that no support.

If OUR due's need direction I vote to support the race series, both.

road VS drag is not a choice, support both.

The VCA needs to put it up to the members, this is not a private club within the Viper club this is the VCA, ALL not just a chosen few.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment, but....

No Support?

HUH?

What Gary is saying is that his region WAS invited to attend, with many, many exclusive details to the event... but where were his members?

In other words, a great event was offered... but no response.

The VCA (especially Libby's region... and Gary's Zone) has awesome events offered (as they are SO close to Daytona, and many, many more tracks). What we need is more participation. Maybe it WAS the flu season? as Gary's events usually max out?

V10Nationals.com

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VCA (especially Libby's region... and Gary's Zone) has awesome events offered (as they are SO close to Daytona, and many, many more tracks). What we need is more participation. Maybe it WAS the flu season? as Gary's events usually max out?

I am sorry, what are those “awesome” events that have been offered?? Other than the drag racing event in Gainesville, which was not an event organized well enough to be considered racing (awards were given to wrong people and they were awarded based on the best ET without any actual head-to-head racing), all the other events are put together by someone else and our club let us know about it, kind of like the local newspaper.

In my book, getting together every so many weeks and eat it is not considered an “awesome” event.

You want more participation? Run the club as the members' club and not as a Gary/Libby club.

No harm intended, just a couple of observations.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you were to ask me, the most important people attended the Sebring event. I guess I'm biased though...Thanks again for the tickets, Vern!

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh and that goes for the V10 Nationals as well. Do we really need VCA support? The Bradenton event was huge and the VCA had absolutely nothing to do with it, so why start now? To give the event legitimacy? Believe me, David, you don't need that politboro to put on a great event. We're bringing 4-5 Viper's to compete and we're just a blip on the radar screen. C U guys/gals in BG!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Promo. Gary sends out the emails but individually we need to help promo from within. I didn't decide to go until a week before the event and that's my bad.

There were several folks that didn't find the Viper corral. Investing in a half dozen LARGE flags on poles like the other clubs have would be beneficial. I understand those corrals are pricey so it's in the clubs interest to make sure everybody knows where they are.

Ticket price. $10 off is ok but the CC race was on Friday which means taking a day off work which, for contractors that's a substantial chunk of change. Half price tickets would have been a relatively small percentage of the total (corral + tickets) cost if my information is correct. Or maybe toss in a promotional one-of-a-kind Sebring CC hat for all that attend.

I don't know if there is any co-organization on the horizon with the V10 Nats and VCA. There should be. Dr Roof has done an excellent job with the V10 Nats and the VCA is missing out if they don't align themselves with it.

The Gainesville dragracing event was affordable and fun. While it's true the awards were somewhat mixed up and I really should have won several first place classes, it was the first dragracing event by our local VCA and miscues should be expected. I forgave all who stole my trophies.

Last I heard there would be a track event this year. I know first hand these events are very, very expensive. Above the 10K range for Sebring, Moroso or Homestead. I hope the queens and posers will at least show up and maybe buy a shirt or something even if they don't enter. A few laps as a passenger might show them what their Viper is really supposed to be used for.

Things get better every year. I suppose the b*tching helps. But don't cut out the lunches! Chucky likes to eat.

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, let me answer David Boggs (Dr. Roof) comments:
David I called you a number of times and asked how could the club help. I put the V10 Nationals on our e-mail blasts to members as well as mailouts. If you would have sent us brochures we would have mailed them to our membership. All you had to do is tell me how the club could help this event in Bradenton.

Now as for Florida VCA member V10Nationals.com:
I checked with National this morning and you are not a current VCA member. Why don't you have the "BALLS" to post your name and identify yourself?

For nearly 10 years I have been involved with the Viper Club as a regional club President, National VCA President and current SE Zone Director. I have offered my time, office, phones, office personel to run our Central and North Florida club for over nine years. We have been involved setting up many local, regional and National VCA related events.

Instead of whinning about what the club does not do you, step forward and offer to put an event together. This is a club for members and we will support you and help you organize and event. I thank Chuck Babel and Steve Sallis for organizing some events for the club in the past few months. Instead of "******* & Moaning", get off you butts and do something for the club. We offer our support and help if you want to offer up a club event.

Thanks to those who did come to Sebring. What an great kick off to the World Challenge GT season. 10 Viper Competiton coupes racing factory sponsored teams. Tommy Archer finished fourth and Bob Woodhouse, ninth.

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, let me answer David Boggs (Dr. Roof) comments:
David I called you a number of times and asked how could the club help. I put the V10 Nationals on our e-mail blasts to members as well as mailouts. If you would have sent us brochures we would have mailed them to our membership. All you had to do is tell me how the club could help this event in Bradenton.

Gary

We played phone tag for a weeks. You even spoke to a member of your club about the event. After you quit calling me back I emailed several times with no response.

Presidents from 3 Zones in Texas stepped up!
I am getting emails from Presidents across the country that they are willing to whatever to be a part of the series. What did you do??? I asked you what can you do to help?
IT seems like some want to Drag Race and some want to Road race and some want to do both. I believe there should be a place that is FULLY supported by both.

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David, if you plan another V10 Nationals here in Florida you will have the local clubs support. Just let me know when and what you want us to do. We will support your efforts but lets talk a little earlier than a few weeks before the event, this time. It's up to you to outline well in advance what you would like us to do as a club to support your V10 Nationals.

Reaction score
Opinion:

The VCA is an organization facilitate the Viper experience.

Region and Zone Events are organized by members and/or officers with the approval of the club management. It is the responsibility of the individuals organizing the event to communicate their needs and wants with Region or Zone management. The VCA management is there for guidance and assistance when requested, as needed, etc.

Nice events take a lot of time and effort support yor club!

The VCA is you!

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to see we all are on the same team...... to improve and promote the Viper experence . Having variety is the "spice". The drag racers and the road racers like and need the support of the local clubs as well as the national VCA. :2tu:

Cudaman :usa:

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You Know, I was drag racing Vipers before most of you guys even gave it a thought. Ask Larry Macedo about my Venom 600 NOS equiped 93'RT 10. I still have a current NHRA Competition License for dragsters and door cars. I love drag racing, so don't think I am stuck on road racing only. I want to see us support the V10 Nationals for a VCA National event in many of our zones. We need to sit down with David and find out what he needs and wants as well as determine our involvement on a National basis as well as clear up some issues and questions. I cut my teeth on drag racing to many years ago to remember, when I was running Super Stock for Oldsmobile and went to the US Nationals in Indy. I won my class and was eliminated in the runoffs. That was a long time ago and drag racing has been in my blood for a long time, perhaps longer than most of you have been around.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes when you want something done you have to do it yourself. Here is what we did in the case of the Kansas City VCA as it relates to the V10 Nationals:

1. Poll our members for their level of interest in drag racing (polls are incredibly easy and can help dictate the direction your club should take). Support for the idea was in the 70% range.

2. Go to the regional board and request the funds for a drag racing event be set aside. Approved unanimously and an instant $1000 MINIMUM was earmarked for a drag racing event in 2004.

3. Contact the local tracks to get costs, etc. We soon determined that a "region-only" event would be difficult to support, given that we are not a huge region. Even with the $500 stipend from National (which we will request and secure for this event) it would be difficult to subsidize a full day or weekend of racing without bringing in "outsiders." More importantly, I have not organized a drag racing event and was not quite sure how to structure the classes, prizes, etc. Unfortunately, we didn't have anyone else in the club that has set this up either - and none were volunteering for the job.

4. The V10 Nationals lightbulb lit up over my head and I started e-mailing and calling David Boggs. Within a couple weeks we had a V10 Nationals event scheduled right here in the Kansas City area, with full support and partial sponsorship from the Kansas City VCA.

Throw politics in the back seat and decide what your members want to do. Some regions seem to be either inactive or have an agenda embraced only by a few folks. Sometimes that can be good, sometimes it can be bad. You need only look at the "windbreaker" moniker to see where it can go bad on you. Now I don't know anything about Gary's region or Zone, so this is NOT a reference to him in the slightest. It is simply a plea for those people that want changes to volunteer to help make those changes. In Kansas City we try not to mess around too much: We decide what our folks want to do and we do it. No volunteers? Then your officers should be doing it on your behalf. While I am not thrilled with one or two people doing 99% of the work, I also know that most knew what they were getting into when they ran for that office. The key is to get it done regardless.

We look forward to the V-10 Nationals coming to the world famous Heartland Park dragstrip in July. We are a proud sponsor and participant in this great series. While it would be great to get VCA National involved, turn to your local clubs for their opinions and support on any events. Without both you are dead in the water.

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question for Mr.J Houss or Gary
Then if our local VCA President contacted our zone and our zone contacts the National and our President said that he wanted to support the V-10 Nationals because that is what the members in his area wanted we could get a $1,000.00 check to help with the expenses?

I was told that the national VCA group wanted no part of the V-10 Nationals and no support would come from the national side, is that true of false Mr.J.Houss

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question for Mr.J Houss or Gary
Then if our local VCA President contacted our zone and our zone contacts the National and our President said that he wanted to support the V-10 Nationals because that is what the members in his area wanted we could get a $1,000.00 check to help with the expenses?

I can't answer for the Zone or National (Gary or Joe), but I can tell you if you are referencing my post that the $1,000 is REGIONAL money - not National. We didn't have to ask anybody except our members. No politics, just a general consensus that this was how we wanted to spend some of our own funds. Now National does have a small fund available for two events per zone per year ($500). It is up to your region president to submit that for approval to his or her zone office. Kansas City has never requested it in five years, despite being a very active region. There are several requirements, which your president should have documented. Good luck!

Chris

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You Know, I was drag racing Vipers before most of you guys even gave it a thought. Ask Larry Macedo about my Venom 600 NOS equiped 93'RT 10. I still have a current NHRA Competition License for dragsters and door cars. I love drag racing, so don't think I am stuck on road racing only. I want to see us support the V10 Nationals for a VCA National event in many of our zones. We need to sit down with David and find out what he needs and wants as well as determine our involvement on a National basis as well as clear up some issues and questions. I cut my teeth on drag racing to many years ago to remember, when I was running Super Stock for Oldsmobile and went to the US Nationals in Indy. I won my class and was eliminated in the runoffs. That was a long time ago and drag racing has been in my blood for a long time, perhaps longer than most of you have been around.

When can we Have this discussion?

Issues and QUestions? Shoot?

I was told to that I need to call Joe and set up a Conference call. I emailed and let him know I am available for this call anytime. I have not heard anything else about it.

I am Grateful to this site for allowing us the opportunity to push the series with info and Links. I am also grateful to the Sponsors that really put up the cash to make it happen. I usually spend alot of Cash myself to supplement the shortfall that sponsors do not cover. (not including the 100's of hours of my time for each event, I am flying SOlo) Why??? I love Drag racing and I believe this series is gonna be big?

I have three choices:

1. Turn the series into a business type event with a profitt in Mind

2. Get serious help from Outside Vendors and CLub support with Cash!

3. just quit and wait for someone else to try.

This is a something that will grow in time. I do not want this to be a business, I want it to be something that Viper Owners will be proud to attend! an affordable event and a great atmosphere!

Think about it:

The series helps out all parties involved:

Tuners Generate Business by the fast cars they produce
Vendors that support generate Sales
Viper Owners have a great event to do with the VIPER

Everybody wins, It just takes more money to make it happen!

What is required to get Financial support from the VCA???

I do not want enemies on the VCA board so please don't get me wrong but It seems like with the success of the series interest would be stronger on a Nationals level to sponsor.

thanks for listening.

Thanks to the following sponsors: V-10 Nationals Sponsors

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Gary, Sorry for hijacking this thread....

David:

718-965-2500 Any biz day. You know this, and, from what I understand, our Motorsports Committee has been trying to communicate with you regarding your super event, VCA involvement, and future planning. I would be glad to speak to you as well.

Chris is absolutely correct! As you know, your membership dollars (minus Viper Mag subscription fees, and modest administration expenses... see the many VCA financial statement topics for details) is delivered via first class mail, every month to your Local Regions. Each and every region has their own agenda as to how this money is utilized to offer the best bang for the buck for their membership.

National VCA on the other hand, has modest income resources (Raffles, apparell sales, etc) and DOES have a specific philosophy as to how that money is utilized, once again, for the best bang for the buck. Zone rendezvous has been one successful avenue (hundreds of attendees per event, each event offering a diverse variety of performance driving, social aspects, and plenty of cool Viper goodies). Your National Officers, AND the Motorsports Committee members, have been looking for additional avenues that would offer another "tour"-able event.

Drag racing has always been a great part of Viper ownership. Many of our owners participate in local test and tunes, and many even go much deeper into competitive participation. The great part about Drag racing is that ANY region can just decide to "hook up" at the local test and tune, and make an event using an existing weekly or monthly track schedule. On the other hand, it does get a bit complex as to how and when we can offer assistance (legal liability is a big concern). Safety, NHRA/IHRA requirements, Insurance, etc become a big factor as to VCA's official involvement. I know,I know, EVERY Viper is capable of NHRA non-compliance, and that's why we own 'em ;)

Dave, please communicate directly with Kingman, Henry and Gary (should I say continue to communicate?) regarding how VCA can help.

And anyone else that would like to get involved in analyzing the facts, please don't hesitate to call, or e-mail the Motorsports committee, myself or any of your Regional, Zone or National officers.

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not want enemies on the VCA board so please don't get me wrong but It seems like with the success of the series interest would be stronger on a Nationals level to sponsor.

thanks for listening.

Thanks to the following sponsors: V-10 Nationals Sponsors

Is this a legit. fear where to speak you have to fear making an enemy within the top VCA people. I have heard things like this before and wonder why people feel that way?

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question
Our local VCA President gets an allowance of dollars and our zone gets an allowance of dollars, is this correct?
What determines the amount they get for any one year?
Is the money ear marked for any specific event, get together?
Exactly how much does the locals get per year on an average?

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question
Our local VCA President gets an allowance of dollars and our zone gets an allowance of dollars, is this correct?
What determines the amount they get for any one year?
Is the money ear marked for any specific event, get together?
Exactly how much does the locals get per year on an average?

The local region gets a portion of the renewal/membership fees,
Up until 2 years ago our region didnt even have a check book, we had 4k in uncashed checks just sitting around. Its up to the local region what to do with the cash.
Also on that note, most regions are or should be non profit & in any event need to DO something with the treasury, like spend it for the benefit of the members or betterment of the community, hopefully both.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read the bylaws.

There is a regional stipend of $500 available for each region, each year. The regional officers must submit a request form and document the event to be dispursed these funds.

There is an additional 2 $500 stipends available PER ZONE for Zone type events that are coordinated with the Zone Director for disbursement.

No secrecy - it's ALL CLEARLY SPELLED OUT IN THE BYLAWS - which are READILY AVAILABLE FOR REVIEW ON THIS SITE. AND BYLAWS WERE RECENTLY SENT TO ALL REGIONAL PRESIDENTS< AS WELL AS THE CLAIM FORM FOR THE STIPEND......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery