Lap Time - I'm So Freak'n Happy

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few of you are aware of this but.....

Last year 4 friends and I set lap time goals for this year - thought to be the last season ever for Race City. We recorded our goals in a secret place then got to work.

It was thought that since I was at the 'pointy end' that my goal was the most optimistic - and mid year I thought it was as well.

Needless to say - and the reason for this post - is that I made my goal time of <80 seconds a couple of weeks ago. I'm now at 1:19.5!!! I literally almost cried I was so happy.

I've been told that I had the existing track record for a street car, on street tires at 1:22.5. I set that time during a magazine test with a Heffner 1000hp Twin Turbo Lamborghini Gallardo in 2008. I set the new mark in my stone stock (brakes, tires, everything except a harness and a Nurburgring sticker) Viper ACR.

Three of the other 4 guys have all failed to set their goal time and the 4th met his goal after installing a new suspension, slicks, etc. Just the same - he intended that his goal involved modifications so he's 100% legit as well. 2 out of 5 have met their goal.

I'm just so happy that I beat my goal by .5 seconds and set a new lap record at the same time.

Viper's are awesome!

Long live the Viper!

Greg

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow that's amazing, congratulations!

and on STREET tires no less, very kewl. I still run on street tires and all my buddies are on slicks, I just like it that way. haha

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like a good reason to open up a case of Molson.........

Congrats and I hope the record stands until ............next year.........when we expect you to break it again!:drive:

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meeting you this summer and now knowing the type of guy you are and the dedication you put towards things you do, I'm not surprized.
That and the fact you can REALLY drive.

Congrats Greg.

Next???

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
CONGRATS !

Must have been that 'Ring decal... ( maybe the Red-Stripe Harness?)

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I'm sure the harness and the decal made the difference!

Next year... Hmmm. The track is getting a little slower each year because it's getting a little more polished and a little bumpier every winter. I will set a goal for next summer I just don't know what it'll be yet. I want to be reasonable as I know that I'm pretty close to my limit. I do know where there's a tenth or two out there though!

Greg

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is really amazing and one great accomplishment! I for one am excited about it BRAVO! :2tu::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::headbang:

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew it! I knew it was <1:20 you wanted. Congrats Greg. We all knew you could do it. You got within a few seconds of that mark with my heavy a$$ in the passenger seat and traffic. Can't imagine what something that elusive would feel like.

Heard the track stays open for next year.
I gunnin' for ya when the snow's gone.:lmao:

Talk to ya soon.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Greg.:2tu::2tu::2tu:

When you told me you really wanted to break 1.20, I didn't doubt you could do it. I, too was lucky enough to ride with you at 1.24, and I still get a rush remembering it. You ARE an awesome driver!!!:drive::headbang:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats! I was waiting for you to break your old record with the stock ACR. Congrats! Did you send notice to Mr. Hefner so that he can try building a faster car?

I hope you posted this in the racing forum where the records are supposed to be listed?

I have to send a few bragging emails, LOL

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recommended Greg and the SRT engineers that accomplished the Ring record for the HALL OF FAME.

Good luck Greg!

ZR1? ...what's that?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good job. This is exactly what so many folks don't understand about driving and sportscars - the thrill of mastering the car and track. Congrats.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats. now for us NON track guys, please give us a comparison of times for a novice or a way to compare.

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything faster than 1:30 is a pretty good lap time at Race City. First timers are in the high 1:30's - even in a fast car. A really well driven Miata gets to about 1:38. I usually give rides in the 1:24 - 1:25 range and I've had everything from one person *** themselves to 2 folks puke (teenagers even.... what's wrong with kids these days?). A decent guy in a Scud or a Z06 get's under 1:30.... 1:28. The fast guys in fast cars are all under 1:25.

It's snowing here this morning and I have another track day tomorrow - now this should be intersting!

Greg

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually give rides in the 1:24 - 1:25 range and I've had everything from one person *** themselves to 2 folks puke (teenagers even.... what's wrong with kids these days?).

I don't know Greg, they obviously don' make them like they used to. I know the only problem I had was to keep the grin from running around my face from all the different G force.:D:D:D

It's snowing here this morning and I have another track day tomorrow - now this should be intersting!

Greg

:omg: A 3.4? :lmao: Let us know how you make out.

I am in Wawa, Ont. tonight. It snowed most of the way from the Sault and we lost just over 2 hours waiting on a truck getting towed out of the ditch.:(

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on a job well done! Where do you have your compression and rebound set front and rear? What is the length of the track and how many turns? What brake pads are you using? For us track rats trying to get faster!

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on a job well done! Where do you have your compression and rebound set front and rear? What is the length of the track and how many turns? What brake pads are you using? For us track rats trying to get faster!

I'm in Athens, Greece right now (at an internet cafe) so I don't have my 'book'. The car is 100% stock (this mattered to me) including brake pads and rotors. I did adjust the suspension and I have posted it somewhere on this site..... I can repost when I get home. The track is 11 turns, 2.2 miles and has 2 long straights with only 3 fast corners.

The best lap I did in the Heffner 1000hp Galardo was a 1:22.6. It's wicked fast on the straight but the way the turbo's spool up it kills your drive out of the corner. When you exit the corner you gently roll on the throttle - then a little more - then a little more, just playing the power against the level of grip - then BLAM! Here comes double the power and you're all busy with your hands trying to fix everything.

See ya'll soon!

Greg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960