Last year for Dodge/Skip Barber

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got some bad news today. I was signing myself and my intern up for a 1-day driving class at Skip Barber, when the guy signing me up mentioned that this is the last year Dodge is sponsoring the school. I was also surprised to find out that probably other than Fred, they don't get many VCA members there. As much as we kid about Fred, his much repeated advice is a good one. Go to a driving school... it can save your life!

There's only a few months left in the year, and this is the last chance to get with a great driving school using Vipers. You can even get an SCCA license with their 3-day racing school course. Your VCA membership will save you 25%. That alone pays for the membership! Go now before all the classes fill up!

http://www.skipbarber.com

I'm disappointed DC let this slide, and does not bode well for the Viper as a whole.

DG Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder if this means the SRT Experience will also not return. If not mistaken, doesn't Skip Barber's guys help out with that as well?

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip Barber will still be around, but they will no longer have Dodge vehicles and spotlight the Viper. :(

They're currently looking for another partner. It probably won't be GM or Ford(Bondurant already has that). Skip is currently also using BMW's and Porsches, so that's probably the way it's going to go... which *****. Funny because the instructors have been known to make fun of the pourrrrrshus. :)

Although I wouldn't mind if their classes used CGT's... I doubt.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I think more people are inclined to head to Viperdays as their
training school. Barber's school seems more geared towards the
SRT (Ram,Neon,300C) crowd from the outside so its easy to see
why. In fact the SRT experience shot itself in the foot last
year when it said that Gen1&2 owners were not welcome. They
quickly re-considered their stance, but it was too late - alot
of owners, myself included, turned their back on the whole program.

Another point too, when I was researching driving schools Barbers
website touted time in Dakotas and Neons as well as Vipers. I
might have considered it for the more diverse driving expereince,
but most here only drive one type of car 100% of the time. Why
pay so much to learn to handle a dakota if you don't drive a
pickup?

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

pickup?

I've taken the 1-day course before... The dakotas and neon help the students learn spin recovery and threshold braking... things not worth doing or easily/safely done in a Viper. The Viper is used for autocrossing the second half of the class, when your skills are honed. The skills learned in the dakotas and Neons helps in your Viper and any other car you drive.

The class is worth every penny, especially because it limits your liability. Drive hard and have no fear of a big repair bill. Viper days, while great... you need to bring your own Viper and good luck with your insurance if you wreck. (I know, it's not a timed event... blah blah blah. Doesn't mean the insurance is going to give in easily)

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1800 to beat up someone elses viper while getting pointers on driving technique isnt a bad deal. im gona try and make it this year before the vipers are gone

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1800 to beat up someone elses viper while getting pointers on driving technique isnt a bad deal. im gona try and make it this year before the vipers are gone

With the VCA discount, I was able to get the $900 1 day driving class for around $650.

Reaction score
Warfang is 100% on target.

We found out a couple weeks ago(discussing our plans for two VCA schools 2007) the Nov 20th is the last day for Dodge at Skip Barber.

Skip Barber wants the Viper in the program. There are ongoing discussions between Skip Barber and Dodge.

This would be a huge mistake for Dodge, major loss for Viper owners as well as a loss for Skip Barber. This is one of those situations where non-car enthusiast or management does not understand how Chrysler was turned around by the Viper and are making decisions without looking ahead.

We have organized a Viper specific school with Skip Barber for many years with well over 100 graduates from our region.

To many Viper's(also true for other performance cars) get totaled and occupants injured or killed because they do not understand basic vehicle dynamics as it applies to car control.

I hope everyone of you will send an e-mail to DC asking them to continue their support with Skip Barber.

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warfang is 100% on target.

We found out a couple weeks ago(discussing our plans for two VCA schools 2007) the Nov 20th is the last day for Dodge at Skip Barber.

Skip Barber wants the Viper in the program. There are ongoing discussions between Skip Barber and Dodge.

This would be a huge mistake for Dodge, major loss for Viper owners as well as a loss for Skip Barber. This is one of those situations where non-car enthusiast or management does not understand how Chrysler was turned around by the Viper and are making decisions without looking ahead.

We have organized a Viper specific school with Skip Barber for many years with well over 100 graduates from our region.

To many Viper's(also true for other performance cars) get totaled and occupants injured or killed because they do not understand basic vehicle dynamics as it applies to car control.

I hope everyone of you will send an e-mail to DC asking them to continue their support with Skip Barber.

Do you have an email we can send our support to Fred?

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem with switching over to Viper Days for all your instructional driving is, at least for me, dead in the east. They used to do Watkins Glen, but not for a few years now.

AC

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO big deal.Why spend the bucks with someone advertising vipers as school cars and then only alowing them for auto-X?A big waste of your dollars in my opinion.If I were going to a school I would go to panosz at road atlanta.At least they use similar front engine GT type cars on the track.That is of course unless you were looking for experience in single seaters or stock cars. GTS Bruce

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am on the east coast but still think it is a great loss. A driving school like that is a gateway that lets posers test the waters to see if they have any skill to compete on a track. If not then they walk away better drivers and had a blast driving it. If it was in my town I would take the class to drive a Gen III for the first time without having a salesman messing up his pants in the passenger seat. I bet a lot of people sign up just to drive a Viper.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

pickup?

They said GEN I and II owners were not allowed to participate in the program? Is their money not good enough?? :confused:

Reaction score
I will try to get the appropriate e-mail address Monday.

Viper Days is not a substitute Skip Barber's High Performance. It is obvious that some comments comparing the two are misleading as they are much different. I know as I have about 20 days of Skip Barber and like number on Viper Days.

Skip Barber offers many high performance programs including a couple open wheel racing series.

The N. Calif. VCA Regions- Skip Barber program maximizes seat time in Vipers and with an opportunity to drive your car on their autocross at the end of the day. Do not confuse this program with the standard schools. The first activity is in class room going over vehicle dynamics. Then we split into groups for a braking exercise and a car control (wet surface with Dakota's). Then the Viper's come out on their school std autocross. Lots of seat time. After lunch we go back to a Big autocross with three Vipers on the course.

The braking exercise makes everyone realize they do not know how to brake. The wet track quickly points out how it takes practice to get down CPR (Correction-Steering, Pause, Recovery). These two exercises are pretty humbling as almost everyone thinks they know how to drive.

Learning vehicle dynamics and car control is their cars on a flat controlled surface is a lot better than going to a track where mistakes can be very costly. Viper Days is the Best open track event for Viper owners and I encourage owners to participate so they can truly enjoy their Viper's awesome performance. Instruction is provided at Viper Days but the braking and wet track exercises are not. And these are critical skills for car control on the street or on the track. Also Before putting your Viper on a track, it needs to be prepared (good-tires: brakes-new high temp. fluid; power steering cap secured, etc.).

Skip Barber without Viper's is a huge loss to Viper owners, Skip Barber and Dodge. One student recently bought a new 06 coupe because they drove the Viper SRT in one of our Skip Barber schools and loved the improved braking and general handling.

The Skip Barber programs are nothing the the SRT events.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the Skip Barber course, and was first up in the Dakota truck. I had taken several schools on motorcycles, and thought I knew how to drive. Particularly as an old guy (then about 52) who was used to recovering slides in my youth. Didn't pause long enough to allow the truck to recover stability in it's leaf springs, and took off while they were still loading. The ensuing 360 degree spin, with the instructor's comment.....yep, you're a Viper driver, too quick back on the accelerator...humbled me. Got back some of that by having the best threshold braking in my group.. which I chalk up to sportbikes where you brake to the limit but can't afford to go over.

Middling performance in autocross, not the best, not the worst. The instructor ride at the end of the day was an e-ticket ride.

My 03 Viper was waaay more fun once I understood its handling, which I was glad to learn on someone elses tires and gas. Plus with the VCA discount the price was negligible, and I keep the group photo.

I recommend this course to anyone, and I hope that Dodge will keep doing Skip Barber. Viper's more than most cars, don't have the electronic protections of modern Vettes, and really rely on driver expertise to be safe. viper drivers NEED this course.

I'm now an 07 Z51 Vette Coupe driver, but I will never forget my two Vipers (96 and 03) or this course. I hope they all stay in business together forever!!!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
They said GEN I and II owners were not allowed to
participate in the program? Is their money not good enough??

SRT only wanted to sponser SRT Vehicles (which I understand
fully) but then they wanted the support of the VCA too - which
at the time was 90% clamshell owned. Eventually many here
banded together to get all vipers admitted, but (at the very
least for me) I saw it is DC wanting to exclude the senior
owners to promote it's new vette. Hence SRT Experience will
remain that way from my prospective.

Reaction score
They said GEN I and II owners were not allowed to
participate in the program? Is their money not good enough??

SRT only wanted to sponser SRT Vehicles (which I understand
fully) but then they wanted the support of the VCA too - which
at the time was 90% clamshell owned. Eventually many here
banded together to get all vipers admitted, but (at the very
least for me) I saw it is DC wanting to exclude the senior
owners to promote it's new vette. Hence SRT Experience will
remain that way from my prospective.

The SRT Experience has nothing to do with the driving school and is NOT A DRIVING SCHOOL!!! :bonker:

angleiron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to take the 2 day high performance school (at least that is the plan). When I call, do I mention that I am a VCA member?

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to take the 2 day high performance school (at least that is the plan). When I call, do I mention that I am a VCA member?

You can if you are a card carrying member. They'll need your member number to verify. You're currently listed as "Enthusiast" but the VCA is famous for taking months to process new members.

If you're NOT a member, this is a good time to join ($100)... with the membership, the 2 day class can save you HUNDREDS.

Reaction score

When you schedule the school you need to ask for the Viper Club discount. And you need a valid, paid in full, VCA number.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spend the day at Laguna Seca this past Sunday - Barber is going Porsche. Knowing Skip Barber is a business, my guess is, they put the Car sponsorship/supply on the table to all takers and Porsche made the best offer.

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, it'll be DC's loss. Skip will be in business long after they ditch Dodge. Not that they'll miss my business, but I will be less inclined to go to them minus the Viper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang