Latest News Flash, Dodge renames the Viper (misc. ramblings)

Herman Buehrle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's to be called, the Dodge Dilemma. Lets see, my time line was, notified before VOI that I had a VIN number, with a first week in Oct. build. Called Viper Headquarters to set up a factory pick up. Had explained to me that no Vipers would be shipped before the end of September (this from JRT Viper Headquarters). We were all told at VOI, that the only hold up was emmissions (CARB only) and it was a paperwork issue, not the actual emissions (2-6 weeks if I remember correctly). A week after VOI, production ceases, and the rumors start......side sill heat, certification's, etc......

My thoughts. the "fix" for the heat issue created other problems, or issues related to either emissions, or the numbers changed dramatically to the bad (HP, torque, whatever)because of the "fix". Now they have a real problem. They have to get the numbers back up, but still get through emissions.

What I don't understand is why the secrecy. They could use this whole mess to their advantage by putting everything into the open, and saying "This is what we do for our customers". It would be "good spin" for a change.

Remember the fiasco they went through many years ago, selling executive driven cars as new? They hid that too, until being found out and sued. They then added a sticker to those cars saying they had been tested or driven by the executives, and it became a good thing, that the higher ups were making sure the cars being produced were quality.

Well Dodge, what will it be. Open and honest, or down and dirty in the gutter with the current load of silence.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations, add a digit to your vin
it's now 1178, you have Pi$$ed off DC with your unsavory references to unknown stories from the past. Your complaint was what exactly? My Vin is real close to yours and I do not want my car delivered until it is PERFECT! They said repeatedly at VOI that the first 250 cars would be held until they were PERFECT. I have spent a lot of time in South Bend, and I don't think you're gonna get any great driving experiences till spring anyway, and if delivery is after the first of January, uncle sam can't nick you for Luxury tax! Relax!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rofl.gif
Lee!

I totally agree, Do you want a rushed car now that will be plagued with problems? Won't it be worse than waiting for it to be perfect to have to take it back to the dealer for recall after recall. THAT would be AGONY. Do you want your $80K car to have a reputation of being a hunk-o-crap? How would that make you feel? I understand the frustration about being kept in the dark about the problem but really, what are ya gonna do, not a heck of a lot. It's called living with it, it may **** but, c'est la vie.

We are waiting on TWO SRT's, we don't wanna see either of them until they are perfect so we can spend time DRIVING them to VCA events, not to the dealer for a recall.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of the people posting on this board don't deserve a Viper. If they were waiting for a Ferrari, the wait would be chaulked up to "exotic manufacturers build on their own schedule." Because DC lets Viper owners into the fold a bit, SOME owners think that they must be kept apprised of every single little glitch or problem that comes up. Here's a surprise for you guys...VIPERS ARE EXOTIC CARS. They are hand built and things happen. Take a chill pill and shut up.

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody here is entitled to their opinion, even if you do not agree with it. Lets be a little more tolerant of differing views.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too am displeased with not receiving any news. After putting money down back in January all I have received is a short letter (the one that asked for us to verify that we still wanted the car) and an email. Not a thing with regards to expected build timeframe or anything else. My dealer knows nothing either. I do not know if I should be putting the purchase funds in a better place (CD, etc.) or continue to keep it in a near non-interest bearing savings account so that it is ready at a moments notice. With the delays I am uncertain if I will even get it in 2003 as I do not have a VIN and have zero idea where I am in the build order. Why would that be a secret?

I am much less concerned as to what the hold up is unless it would impact when I get my car.

OP
OP
H

Herman Buehrle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I had posted before. In 1989, Chrysler/Jeep had the ****** to call me to notify me that there were production problems with the Bendix anti lock brake system. They asked me if I would like to wait for those problems to be corrected, or take delivery of a Jeep Cherokee without the 4 wheel anti lock brakes. I opted to wait, even though it was a 4 month wait, from when I ordered, to delivery.

THAT is my point. I am more than willing to wait,however, I would like to know what I am waiting for and why. They were good enough to tell me in 1989, on a Jeep, why not on their premier vehicle now?

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just feel I'm lucky enough to get the opportunity to buy a SRT10. Others who want it don't have that chance.
Thank You DODGE!!
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

dancojax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
***** . ***** . ***** .
***** , ***** , ***** ABOUT DETAILS.
DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS, ***** ABOUT DETAILS.
Wassamata little boy? Promised to sell your new Viper at a big profit and now your buyer is backing out?
You'll get it when DC feels comfortable about delivering it, and not before.
SO CHILL.
That said, don't believe it when they claim you can't drive in the winter in South Bend. We went touring on Christmas day in our new 1994. Went to the Dunes State Park, watched the waves, and generally had a ball. Top off and Santa Hats on. If you got it, drive it.
P.S. there is still time -- maybe delivery by Christmas. Good luck.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a bunch of Stepford Viper Owners

Oh, DC is wonderful!
Oh, I'll wait until the end of time so my beloved Viper will be perfect!
Oh, how dare you be critical of the wonderful DC even though it is about two months after delivery of cars was officially promised!

I read Herman's post to ask for official INFORMATION, not the car. I think DC justly deserves criticism for the silence, not the delay. The complexity of making the car better, faster and compliant with ever-tightening emissions makes me very understanding of unaticipated delays. I do not understand or appreciate the radio silence for the last two months; how many of your customers are nonchalant about undelivered products or services with no explanation whatsoever?

The Viper is a great car, but it does not transform DC into a perfect and unassailable corporation.

So I'll side with Herman and ask, What gives, DC?