Launch Edition Sold $165,490

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody's holding a gun to their heads, if someone wants to pay 20K+ over sticker to be the first on the block have at it.
I remember a few years ago a guy paid a huge markup to have the first ZR1 in the area.
Few weeks later, he was mixed in with the other ten at a car show.

67PLY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealer is trying to get the $25k that they had to ante up to be a Viper Dealer back on the first car sold! $5k to be SRT Dealer, and $20k to be SRT Viper Dealer.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealer is trying to get the $25k that they had to ante up to be a Viper Dealer back on the first car sold! $5k to be SRT Dealer, and $20k to be SRT Viper Dealer.
Well, not quite. Dealers will make about $5,000-8,000+ per vehicle sold from invoice to sticker. While that doesn't recoupe the cost of Viper training, it certainly puts a sizable dent in it. The larger Viper dealers will sell more, making that $25,000 a pocket change investment. Perhaps if these other dealers weren't trying to put one over on customers, they would have more allocations to begin with (IE: sold more previous generation models)... And that training isn't a year to year thing either or is the SRT dealership payment (AFAIK). So, amortized across the Gen V life cycle, it isn't a whole lot.

I in no way think dealers shouldn't profit - I mean, the government will make more money on each Viper sold than Woodhouse or Tomball. $3,000 for gas guzzler and $3-6k for vehicle registration taxes for the state. Thats a good $6-9k profit for the government, and they didn't do anything. I mean, think about it for a second. Insanity.

67PLY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also noticed that the delivery cost went up to $1995 from the $900 that I payed on my '09 that I ordered.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperSmith, you're right....only where I am, the sales tax is 7% OUCH! Whats worse is everytime a vehicle is sold the State taxes the sale again and again and again...plus we here pay a large excise/vehicle property tax. Mine is almost as much as my real estate tax...hee hee.

Anyway, after all the hype I FINALLY saw one today!!! I went to see car #14 in Norwood MA. They also had a red track pact SRT car. There's no question the twin port hood and GTS model was the right choice for me. It is absolutely outstanding and its useless for me to post pics as they do this car zero justice.

Funny...right on the window a sign read "MSRP $140,490 Market Value 25,000" and the total listed was "$165, 490" Triple ouch....I'm saving a lot by buying cross country even with eating the trailer ride and with spending a day at the DMV.

On the plus side, The car is so outstanding and the hood and its shapes are so outrageous that I'm in love!

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ViperSmith, you're right....only where I am, the sales tax is 7% OUCH! Whats worse is everytime a vehicle is sold the State taxes the sale again and again and again...plus we here pay a large excise/vehicle property tax. Mine is almost as much as my real estate tax...hee hee.

Anyway, after all the hype I FINALLY saw one today!!! I went to see car #14 in Norwood MA. They also had a red track pact SRT car. There's no question the twin port hood and GTS model was the right choice for me. It is absolutely outstanding and its useless for me to post pics as they do this car zero justice.

Funny...right on the window a sign read "MSRP $140,490 Market Value 25,000" and the total listed was "$165, 490" Triple ouch....I'm saving a lot by buying cross country even with eating the trailer ride and with spending a day at the DMV.

On the plus side, The car is so outstanding and the hood and its shapes are so outrageous that I'm in love!

Not that I am or will be in the market for the Gen V anytime soon and will "settle" for my gen II ACR, however it's interesting to hear your input on the hood. In pictures I actually like the SRT base model hood better. Nice to know in person the GTS looks much better. The SRT hood looks great in pictures at least.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw two cars for sale yesterday, they are the base one @ $109 and the GTS @ $ 136, and the dealer has a supplemental sticker wanting 600 for a pinstripe, rustproofing etc...PLUS $10,000. extra! puts the car over 149,900.....I guess dealers are independent business people and can charge whatever for their products, and they try to strike when hot BUT I think these games usually turn off people in general....BUT also a few "fools" that have to have the car NOW, give it out, then a year from now they trade it in for a Mazda Miata and take a 50K hit !!

Where at???

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

VA is worse... We pay 3.5% tax on our vehicles

every

single

year.

Glad you finally got to see one, the car is a knock out.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pay that and feel stupid like the guys that paid $30K over sticker in 09 for ZR1's and now you can buy new 2012's for 30K off sticker....

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pinstriping? ****.

Rustproofing? What is this, 1986?

I'm seeing Puddy, from Seinfeld in my head now:

PUDDY: (While punching up numbers on a calculator) That chick’s whacked. We’re history. (Back to the transaction) I just left out a couple of things:

rust-proofing..

JERRY: "Rust-proofing"?

PUDDY: (Reading off what he’s adding up on the calculator) Transport charge, storage surcharge, additional overcharge, finder’s fee

JERRY: "Finder’s fee"? It was on the lot!

PUDDY: Yeah, that’s right. (Continues reading off) Floor mats, keys..

JERRY: ‘Keys"?!

PUDDY: How ya gonna start it?

JERRY: That undercoating, that’s just a rip-off, isn’t it, David?

PUDDY: Oh, we don’t even know what it is.

JERRY: So, I’m gettin’ the insider’s deal?

PUDDY: Insider’s deal. (Holds up his hand) High-five.

:D

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I am or will be in the market for the Gen V anytime soon and will "settle" for my gen II ACR, however it's interesting to hear your input on the hood. In pictures I actually like the SRT base model hood better. Nice to know in person the GTS looks much better. The SRT hood looks great in pictures at least.

Nothing wrong with a Gen II!! Its actually why I like the V so much as the V is basically the II n roids!

SRT model was still great (MSRP was only $97k on the window) but yeah that twin port with the shapes really is my favorite part of the car. Both vehicles were ropped off but the doors were unlocked so I managed to open and take a peek at the interior. Looks great. What is also very amazing was the width of that rear tire....It is HUGE!!

Wish I were able to test drive it..guess I'll hafta wait a couple more months for that.......:eater:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But In Canada isnt it true that you dont pay annual excise tax on vehicles? That runs me about 6k annually. If thats the case a one time sales tax of 14% is a deal.

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Alberta you only pay 5% GST on the purchase price. For all you guys that don't know what GST is, It is Great Sex Tonight, The chances of getting Great Sex Tonight is **********5%

Last edited:

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But In Canada isnt it true that you dont pay annual excise tax on vehicles? That runs me about 6k annually. If thats the case a one time sales tax of 14% is a deal.
One time tax in Ontario, and across Canada as far as I know. Green grass, pretty women, and our cars are faster due to the cooler temp having higher air density, eh :rolaugh:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno I went to a New Year's Eve Party once in Montreal...I think frigid is the word.:omg:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not familiar with that, are you saying your state has a tax on top of annual license fees? every year on a car?

Yup its called "excise tax" which is like real estate ownership tax but for personalty and specifically, vehicles. applies to every car and the amount of the annual tax is based upon the municipally appraised vehicle value.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must be unthawing in Canada, as all the comedians are now coming out. Well all except Saskatchewan, boy you guys have some snow this year. The thing I liked about Canada was you only paid tax on something once, not like in the US. Here we just keep paying taxes and taxes and taxes on the same thing at times. I will tell you I have run the numbers of income tax here with medical for the year and their is a mis-nomenclature that Canadians pay so much more tax than the US. When you add it up, it is actually less take home here in the US than in Canada at certain salary levels. However the Canadians really get soaked on the price of new vehicles compared to the US.

jennq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yup its called "excise tax" which is like real estate ownership tax but for personalty and specifically, vehicles. applies to every car and the amount of the annual tax is based upon the municipally appraised vehicle value.
That must be why everyone keeps moving to ATX. Bother.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang