Lawyer HELP!

HotRodHarry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok gang...if you can help me alittle on this. Serious please...and thanks.

You all know I just bought the 2000 Black/Silver Viper GTS 4 weeks ago.

I paid it in full....have all the paperwork from the dealer here in New Jersey.

Have all the records needed. As normal....then usually wait a couple weeks for the Title and Tags etc.....well....3 1/2 weeks go by...I keep calling and they say its not done yet..dont worry....I have time. Ok....I was patient....well...today that Dealership appears to have gone belly up....I called and called...no answer...went by the place...no cars..no people. This company has been in business for 30 years or more.

What are my legal rights to this car now? I paid for it..have the proof...car is safe and sound with me.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Harry

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
I am not a lawyer, but you may have to pay for the T/T/T yourself and have a lawyer get your money back.
Start looking at whom you file a complaint with, including the State Attorney, and start filing complaints.
Pending criminal charges may have an impact on the dealer.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact your local DMV and ask what your options are, I'm sure they differ buy state... but you do have options... this happens quite often from what I hear.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me. I had two options, both cast about the same, but one gave me the title immediately, the other after a period of time, I'm thinking one year. It's been a while, but basically I had to pay for a bond for the title, and present my proof of ownership documentation in front of a judge. I would then be issued a temporary title. If after a period of time (one year?) nothing popped up about it, then I was to be issued a permanant title.

In my case I never followed though, and the car is still sitting in my yard :( 1986 Porsche 924, at least I only had $1500 in it.... it will make a fun autocross car some day :)

OP
OP
H

HotRodHarry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and insight guys. I sure hope when I go to this dealer tomorrow that things are on the up and up and he just closed his other store and is restocking his store where I purchased my Viper. Atleast I have the paperwork and paid in full proof from the cashed checks in that Dealers name. I just dont want someone coming to my door and saying they are taking my Viper out of my garage when I have proof I purchased it in full. Scary time for me right now. I dont think I will sleep to well for some time.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most States have a "good faith purchase law"; this becomes more complicated if the car has a lien against it. If a bank still owns the car(previous owner could have sold it without telling the bank) then you should get the advice of an attorney in your State.

OP
OP
H

HotRodHarry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well.....in short....the lending company for the Dealer has the title...so its not a stolen car. It all looks good that I have all the paperwork that proves its paid for. I talked with the owner of the property the dealership is on and he said he talked with Barry the Dealership owner and he said that I will have the title by Wednesday next week. So either thats true or he will be in Mexico by then.
I talked with DMV here in Jersey and all seemed ok with the Dealership there..no bankruptcy etc.....car is not in my name yet....like I said....some lending company still has the title.
What seems to have happened is the cars on the lot are owned by the lending company and the dealer pays a payment for the amount of the loan each month. I guess he didnt make the payment..so the lending company took the cars that were there. For now..I have a temp tag...papers I own the car...its insured in my name....so I will enjoy it....Until I sell the parts here online ;-p

Talk to you soon gang.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well.....in short....the lending company for the Dealer has the title...so its not a stolen car. It all looks good that I have all the paperwork that proves its paid for. I talked with the owner of the property the dealership is on and he said he talked with Barry the Dealership owner and he said that I will have the title by Wednesday next week. So either thats true or he will be in Mexico by then.
I talked with DMV here in Jersey and all seemed ok with the Dealership there..no bankruptcy etc.....car is not in my name yet....like I said....some lending company still has the title.
What seems to have happened is the cars on the lot are owned by the lending company and the dealer pays a payment for the amount of the loan each month. I guess he didnt make the payment..so the lending company took the cars that were there. For now..I have a temp tag...papers I own the car...its insured in my name....so I will enjoy it....Until I sell the parts here online ;-p
talk to you soon gang.

Anybody else read this and think..hmmmmm, the lending company owns the cars on the lot AND the ones they still hold title too. Get thee to a lawyer quickly my friend, the lending company has your title, they are seizing all cars that they have title to. It may mean nothing that you have a temp tag and insurance. I think in a legal dispute they own the car and you are a displaced creditor. I am not a lawyer, but I would a. see one quickly, and b. I would misplace that car at some other location than the one on the temp tag till this is resoved.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
talk to you soon gang.

Anybody else read this and think..hmmmmm, the lending company owns the cars on the lot AND the ones they still hold title too. Get thee to a lawyer quickly my friend, the lending company has your title, they are seizing all cars that they have title to. It may mean nothing that you have a temp tag and insurance. I think in a legal dispute they own the car and you are a displaced creditor. I am not a lawyer, but I would a. see one quickly, and b. I would misplace that car at some other location than the one on the temp tag till this is resoved.

The real question is did the dealer give your money to the lending company to pay off your car... if not, this sounds like a reasonable precaution until you get the title. They took the cars that were on the lot.... if your car had not been picked up, well, they would have taken it too....... Just don't let the friend you leave the car with have the keys ;)

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good reason not to pay direct.Put 200 down on my car.Financed.Then paid off loan once I had the car at the first payment. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
H

HotRodHarry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks again guys...

I know..the car is safe and sound now where no one can find it...not even my wife knows ....I see what you are all saying....and man....with over 90 cars I have owned through the years..this never happened. I will definitely do what GTS Bruce said for now on with dealers..even if they have been around 30 years...they can screw you know matter what.

OP
OP
H

HotRodHarry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quality Auto ...2005 Rte. 88 Brick, NJ
732-202-0007

I am still hoping the dealership owner will get me the title on Wednesday as I was told.

HotRod(if not...my Caddy's trunk is ready)Harry

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know the place. never been there though. good luck and if ya need the help with the caddy...JUST CALL

OP
OP
H

HotRodHarry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks man..they just moved there...there were originally and still in Lakehurst on Rte. 70 and just moved from Toms River on Rte.37 to this Brick Rte.88 place. It was the old Spro Auto Sales. The property is owned by some guy Frank of Franks Towing in the Brick Area. Crazy stuff that sure has brought some more pressure into my life, thats for sure.

HotRod(making room in the Caddy Trunk)Harry

OP
OP
H

HotRodHarry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Latest on the saga.....message at dealership says he will be sending Titles/Tags via certified mail to everyone that is waiting by July 31st......so we shall see...keeping my fingers crossed all works out as promised.

OP
OP
H

HotRodHarry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just to update everyone....all is fine. The car is mine and I really got to enjoy her this past weekend!!!! The bank finally gave up the title as they saw they had no other legal route. Took me a very patient 4 months of looking at her in my garage.....but it was all worth it!!!

Thanks again everyone.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to update everyone....all is fine. The car is mine and I really got to enjoy her this past weekend!!!! The bank finally gave up the title as they saw they had no other legal route. Took me a very patient 4 months of looking at her in my garage.....but it was all worth it!!!

Thanks again everyone.

Great news !!! Enjoy.

OP
OP
H

HotRodHarry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Lawyer HELP! .....Mine mine all mine :)

Thanks!! The mistake the bank made is they gave that dealer the car to sell..so he was working as an agent for the bank. The detective in the case for me was incredible...I had no lawyer....he did all the work and really did an awesome job. So the bank has to go after the dealer that went out of business along with other investment places he screwed. All is real good now!!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad it worked out. AND you have the best color combo ever!
It's also relatively rare as they only made a little over 100 in two years of that color combination.

OP
OP
H

HotRodHarry

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks Lee00blacksilverGTS!!!

I must say...I agree with you on the color combo :)

I have really fallen for this car....just awesome.

Off topic quick question...do I need to adjust the valves on the Viper V10 engine? She has just over 18k miles...thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960