Learning process of Mopar PCM

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We put the new Mopar PCM in our 2008. The engine sound is that of a dutuned engine and the throttle response is slow. Does it take time for the new PCM to adjust? There is about 40 miles on the PCM and I may feel some improvement in the last few miles. Thanks

Gary Weeks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We put the new Mopar PCM in our 2008. The engine sound is that of a dutuned engine and the throttle response is slow. Does it take time for the new PCM to adjust? There is about 40 miles on the PCM and I may feel some improvement in the last few miles. Thanks

It says in the instructions 20 to 30 miles. Mine seamed fine after about 10 or 15 miles. Did you install it or the dealer? It says the electronic throttle control (ETC) system requires ETC relearn procudure to be performed when installed. This porcedure checks the accelerator pedal position sensor (APPS) to make sure that idle and full pedal travel can be reached on both sensors. Failure to preform the (ETC) relearn will cause the throttle not to respond to the accelerator pedal limiting engine output.:dunno:

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had mine installed yesterday and no issues, cars throttle now feels like my 06 bumblebee did quick and responsive. the more you drive it the more it will learn but what your describing doesnt sound right.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did you take it to your dealer and have them learn the throttlle position process? BEFORE you drove car

OP
OP
V

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's an update on the PCM. The engine sound has changed a lot and is now more agressive and louder. The throttle response is better and it has more torque driving around town. I haven't gotten on it but the engine is transformed. So in my case it took about 70 miles for the PCM to settle in.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'd guess that every engine is a bit different.

In my case, the car sounded like it had bee de-tuned or was running with ******** timing for the first 100 or 200 miles. I did have calibration and "re-learn" procedure done and have been running race gas at a 50 / 50 mix.

It has improved every time I drive it. It now has about 500 miles on the Mopar race computer (about 250 track miles) and the car sounds and runs like a ***** ape.

Be patient and drive the car like you want it to run.

Dan

OP
OP
V

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In my case, the car sounded like it had bee de-tuned or was running with ******** timing for the first 100 or 200 miles. I did have calibration and "re-learn" procedure done and have been running race gas at a 50 / 50 mix.

It has improved every time I drive it. It now has about 500 miles on the Mopar race computer (about 250 track miles) and the car sounds and runs like a ***** ape.

Dan

Will the tune change with driving style? Will harder driving improve the tune? Thanks

Reaction score
If any of you are still thinking you have a drivability issue with the new PCM call or Email me a fax number and I will send you an updated install procedure that may help your dealer remedy any possible issues.

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan

Why do you use a race fuel mix on a stock motor? Is there any benefit?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
99FRC,

Mopar race computer for 08 / 09 is set up for 93 octane. In the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, we can generally only buy 91 octane (unless we are at the track).....

..... and, according to DC Performance, he's seen better dyno numbers at about 95 octane, so I buy 1/2 tank of 100, 1/2 tank of 91 while tracking or running the car hard. This is working well so far.

Mark,

Please email that updated procedure to me and I'll pass it around locally.

Thanks,

Dan