Learning to Drive - Suggestions Please...

JoeD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think I wanna be a Race-Car driver when I GROW-UP!!! :headbang:

It's been just over a week and 800+ miles with my 96GTS. Just under half those miles while taking her home. I've taken her near MY threshold deliberately near daily(within pseudo legal limits - not near top end) and have been fortunate to have no surprises (besides plain AWE :eek: ). I am entirely novice to formal performance driving - have never driven a machine like this before and need to learn to harness her and be prepared for eventualities. Would like to plan a personal driving syllabus/regimen to hone my skills. Any and all input on self-taught techniques, resources (exercises, books, videos..) and/or official training programs/events WELCOMED.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, time is your best friend here. That is something like Skip Barber racing school. If you try to learn how to "race" your car on the streets, crashes or bars are possible...lol

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JoeD,
Congrats on the new snake. Best instruction I know of is Viper Days. The instructors there know and drive Vipers. All of the things you learn there are specific to the handling of the snake. Bobby Archer also has a monthly driving clinic at MSR near Dallas. If you ever get out to that neck of the woods let me know and we can hook up.
Doc

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like they said, instruction is the best way to learn.

Just remember though, on or off the track, even with an instructor in the right seat, driving near the limits of your ability may lead to the destruction of your Viper.
How would you feel after one little mistake totaled your car?
If your Viper is a major thing for you and you can't live with the idea that it could be destroyed in an instant, get a lesser car to play with and keep your Viper for fun times without so much risk.

Of course, that's just "mean old negative joe" talking.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperDays.

You didn't say where you were located but if there are any tracks in your area (area defined as within a 12 hour drive) contact them and ask them for contacts to clubs that race there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32