LED Replacement Lighting Thread

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats the easiest way to get to the rear blinker bulb? I pulled the cover off and I can get to the brake light and tail light but the blinker light is way down below those and I can't see how to get to it...

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats the easiest way to get to the rear blinker bulb? I pulled the cover off and I can get to the brake light and tail light but the blinker light is way down below those and I can't see how to get to it...

You need to remove 3 plastic nuts. Two are up top where you can already access, and one is behind the carpet behind the tail light. Very simple, and once those are off, the whole unit slides out. You need to disconnect the side bulb to get some slack, and also the wire harness that is plugged into a bracket. Then you can get to the turn signal bulb. That is the only way. I've done it 20 times in the last few weeks...

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am bit impulsive...

I am calling the lights in the triangle, the ones on the stick, side markers. We are talking about the same thing. Try all combos, regular bulb, LED bulb, no adapter cable on triangle light, etc. etc.
well, I should have my stuff shortly, play with it in the meantime, :)

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I have figured out, which is what I was asking you PeterMJ, I can' get these 3157 in line resistors to fit in the existing holes in the headlight and taillight housing. the tabs don't match up

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received the Kaizen harnesses. But they do not work for me either.

1) Using the harness, and no triangle bulb, the bulb turns yellow instead of white as a parking light, and it is noticeable DIMMER. I can only imagine the resistance is way too high.
2) If I plug in the stock triangle bulb, it is extremely dim.
3) LED triangle bulb does not light at all.
4) 3157 bulb does not blink at all, with or without triangle bulbs of either type.

Basically, its a no go for my setup. I think the resistance is way too high, whatever it is.

I will order the 1.5 ohm resistor as suggested by V-LEDs to fix the triangle bulb. We'll see if it works. Looking forward to the PeterMJ report (are you Spiderman?)

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I have figured out, which is what I was asking you PeterMJ, I can' get these 3157 in line resistors to fit in the existing holes in the headlight and taillight housing. the tabs don't match up

I never actually tried to put them in the housings. I saw that it didn't work just hanging there, and gave up. I guess it doesn't matter in the end, at least for me.

So for now, my LCM works fine with everything except the triangle light.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not following you here. Did you get the resistors already? What does not fit? Ugh, never mind, I get it now. Since these things are not working anyway, this is not important now, LOL.

Last edited:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received the Kaizen harnesses. But they do not work for me either.

1) Using the harness, and no triangle bulb, the bulb turns yellow instead of white as a parking light, and it is noticeable DIMMER. I can only imagine the resistance is way too high.
2) If I plug in the stock triangle bulb, it is extremely dim.
3) LED triangle bulb does not light at all.
4) 3157 bulb does not blink at all, with or without triangle bulbs of either type.

Basically, its a no go for my setup. I think the resistance is way too high, whatever it is.

I will order the 1.5 ohm resistor as suggested by V-LEDs to fix the triangle bulb. We'll see if it works. Looking forward to the PeterMJ report (are you Spiderman?)
no, the resistance is actually too low, low resistance means low current draw, this is why they dim so much. I suggest you hold your horses for now and wait until my resistors come. No point in going back and forth with this stuff, I am pretty sure that 1.5 Ohm resistor is too low. Both of you, just sit tight and wait a few days.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Returned eBay harnesses.

Ordered 1.5 ohm resistors - but this is specific to my case with these switchbacks. Not sure if my issues occur with normal 3157 LEDs. V-LEDs confirmed that this DID solve the issue on a Jeep GC with the same symtoms, but only one way to really know.

PeterMJ - what value resistors did you order again? Still waiting? Are they coming from Mars?

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Returned eBay harnesses.

Ordered 1.5 ohm resistors - but this is specific to my case with these switchbacks. Not sure if my issues occur with normal 3157 LEDs. V-LEDs confirmed that this DID solve the issue on a Jeep GC with the same symtoms, but only one way to really know.

PeterMJ - what value resistors did you order again? Still waiting? Are they coming from Mars?
They are coming from China, it takes a while. Mine are 6 Ohm since this is what the stock bulbs are rated. Should be interesting to see if VLED is correct.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be totally unique to my situation, which is an LED 195 bulb, and an LED switchback bulb. I am also using the LM470 module in place of the stock flasher. I can try to see if the stock flasher works later.

This is the 3157 connector, and you need to place the resistor between the the outer green and black wires. This is the ground and +12 for the blinker. The middle wire is +12 for the parking.

You must be registered for see images attach

I decided to add a long pair of wires first that will lead to the resistors. I don't know where I am mounting these resistors yet, so this gives me plenty of options.

Here are the resistors. Note they are each 3ohm, wired in parallel, to get 1.5 ohm. Seems 1.5 ohms are not readily available in this wattage.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Later I will mount the resistors on some plates that I have, not sure where just yet. They do get hot, so probably in front bumper somewhere remote. Anyway, here are the two LEDs lit up in parking light mode. This is the first time this has worked for me.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well - good news here... the 1.5 ohm resistors work, and I now have dual blinking LED front signals. Pics and Vid coming up.
Well, I guess the resistors worked after all, LOL. Switch to the OEM relay and let us find out how fast the turn signals flash now.

JohnnyH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My imagination or do they blink a bit fast? Also, the the turn signal seems not to be as bright as the parking light even though it usually should be the other way around? They work nevertheless.:2tu:

It seems better than what it was for sure. But it still does seem a little faster than normal. I guess its just something we would have to deal with if anyone else decides to do the same.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So question.....after all of this on the "switchbacks".....is it legal in your area to have all those white lights on the front so when you have the parking lights (in white mode) the low beams and the fog lights on all at once...that is six white lights on the front at one time.... I have heard that is against code?

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't remember what speed it was before. The speed is a function of the LCM module I am using. It blinks this speed with regular bulbs, led bulbs, and no bulbs.

I will try the stock module later. Right now we have no power. 97% of New Jersey is out.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My imagination or do they blink a bit fast? Also, the the turn signal seems not to be as bright as the parking light even though it usually should be the other way around? They work nevertheless.:2tu:

The white parking light is a billion times brighter than the stock amber bulb. I think I could get a more powerful triangle light now that I see it. Minor fix.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So question.....after all of this on the "switchbacks".....is it legal in your area to have all those white lights on the front so when you have the parking lights (in white mode) the low beams and the fog lights on all at once...that is six white lights on the front at one time.... I have heard that is against code?

I have never heard that. But all states are different.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick update. Six ohm resistors work great, they give the correct frequency to the turn signals. I checked from 1.5 all the way up to six, six works best, no need to swap relays or anything else. If you want to hook up LED rear turn signals, you can ad one resistor per side by the rear bulbs.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick update. Six ohm resistors work great, they give the correct frequency to the turn signals. I checked from 1.5 all the way up to six, six works best, no need to swap relays or anything else. If you want to hook up LED rear turn signals, you can ad one resistor per side by the rear bulbs.

Are you saying the frequency of the blinker changes with resistance? From what I know, the relay is either normal or fast, given its a comparison circuit? Interesting.

The relay I have has one speed, no matter what the load. What you see occurs with stock bulbs as well, and seemed normal to me. I have no intention of removing it to avoid more hot resistors in back.

Care to post a video of blink rate? I don't remember anymore.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, frequency does change with resistance, this is how dead bulb circuit functions. The higher the resistance, the lower the frequency and vice versa. 6 Ohm matches the factory setting making the frequency just right. The relay you have is a hybrid, the bimetal part is replaced with electronic circuit, the resistance sensing part is still the same like on conventional relay, this is why you still need a resistor to be used with this relay. If this was a digital switching relay, you would not need the resistor, these are pricey and bulky though. Not trying to convince you to do it my way, your money and your car. Just sharing my experience for others to have a cheaper and simpler solution. Sorry, I am in the middle of fiberglassing right now and find downloading videos a big PIA generally anyway.

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so 6 ohm, 50 watt resistors? Two up front for the main blinkers and two for the rear, is that right?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
General Jackson